News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

MoDOT and its incorrect placement of rumble strips.

Started by Crazy Volvo Guy, August 02, 2013, 11:34:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy Volvo Guy

Who told these people to put the rumble strip on top of the fog line?    The rumble strip is supposed to be just outside the fog line.

In a car, it's fine, but in a truck, it's another story.  Sometimes I have to run trailers that are out of alignment, causing dogtracking.  If my trailer is dogtracking to the left, I have to keep the tractor far to the right to keep the tandems/end of the trailer in my lane.  In Missouri, this means hitting the rumble strip constantly.  Extremely annoying is an understatement.

And on the subject of Missouri, someone tell them to shut their VMSs off when there's nothing useful to put on them.  Keeping them on with PSAs 24/7 causes people to subconsciously tune them out and ignore them...but I suppose that's for another thread.

I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

agentsteel53

California has a nasty habit of putting the centerline Botts dots outside of the double-yellow line on two-laners, effectively narrowing the lane by 6 inches.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Scott5114

This is something I have also had problems with in Missouri. In Oklahoma, there are a couple of tire widths between the rumble strips and the painted line. Even in a car, it is easy to drift a little bit and brush against the line, especially when going around the curve, and in most states, this isn't a problem, since you notice this and correct before hitting the strips. In Missouri, I am constantly running along the strips.

Last week, as I was clinching I-49 MO as driver with my mom as passenger, this was happening to me quite a bit. After she took over driving, she commented that she understood now why I kept hitting the strips, since she was doing the exact same thing.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Sonic99

When I drove I-44 through Missouri a few weeks ago, I was wondering this. I was constantly hitting the rumble strips and wondering what idiots put them right on the line (and in some cases INSIDE the line). Glad to see I'm not the only one to notice this.
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

Alps

Pennsylvania too, for putting them down the middle and sides of two-lane roads with no breaks ever. You can't help but hit them on curves or even just trying to drive correctly with your wheel a foot off the centerline (they're not installed well). Rumble strips should only be used on centerlines when a road has a history of crossover collisions - and a barrier is preferable if that's the case.

rarnold

On a recent trip to Idaho, traveling on US-12, they use rumble strips in the center line for about 160 miles. It is only applied in the double yellow sections, and they do a very good job of placing them in the line. That road has a reputation of crossovers, mostly because there is nowhere else to go (river on one side, mountain on the other, very little shoulder).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.