News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Teardown of Bonaventure Expressway Viaduct Begins

Started by Dr Frankenstein, July 22, 2015, 10:07:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Frankenstein

On Tuesday, the city of Montreal began work on the demolition of the viaduct of the Bonaventure Expressway (A-10) northwest of the Lachine Canal's Peel Basin. That section of the highway, which is maintained by the city, will be permanently removed with traffic rerouted on widened Duke and Nazareth Streets, with those two separated by parkland on the former site of the viaduct.

http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/demolition-of-bonaventure-expressway-begins

The project's official website (in French only): http://projetbonaventure.ca/

froggie

A couple questions/comments:

- The article suggests that the ramps to/from the Ville-Marie tunnel remain, but will be reconfigured to tie into Rue Nazareth (EB) and Rue Duke (WB), with the connections being around Rue St. Paul.  Is that the case?

- As best as I can tell, Rue Wellington becomes the location of the boulevard/freeway transition.

Dr Frankenstein

Quote from: froggie on July 22, 2015, 01:59:44 PM- The article suggests that the ramps to/from the Ville-Marie tunnel remain, but will be reconfigured to tie into Rue Nazareth (EB) and Rue Duke (WB), with the connections being around Rue St. Paul.  Is that the case?
Correct. As I understand it from the documentation I have, the ramps to and from the Ville-Marie tunnel will tie into the inner lanes of Duke/Nazareth at St. Paul.

Quote from: froggie on July 22, 2015, 01:59:44 PM- As best as I can tell, Rue Wellington becomes the location of the boulevard/freeway transition.
Wellington St. becomes the first intersection, yes.

oscar

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on July 23, 2015, 03:54:16 PM
Quote from: froggie on July 22, 2015, 01:59:44 PM- As best as I can tell, Rue Wellington becomes the location of the boulevard/freeway transition.
Wellington St. becomes the first intersection, yes.

Does this mean A-10 will be truncated to Rue Wellington, or just that A-10 will continue as a surface route to the Ville-Marie tunnel (A-720)?
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Dr Frankenstein

The city's brochure about the project seems to say that, but I'd prefer to wait until the end of the project and the subsequent update of the province's GIS before having a conclusive answer about that.

Duke87

So the middle is just going to be a park? I thought they intended to develop those parcels?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Dr Frankenstein

What you're thinking of is the proposal to cover the Ville-Marie Expressway trench. The Bonaventure viaduct will indeed be replaced by a park, kind of like the Rose Kennedy Greenway in Boston.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.