News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avalanchez71

So what is the back story with the SR 112 numbering so far out of grid?

formulanone

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 27, 2016, 09:32:49 PM
So what is the back story with the SR 112 numbering so far out of grid?

I always thought it should have just been entirely I-195, with the exit numbers starting at the airport and continuing to Alton Road; it serves an important function for tourists, so having discontinuous posted numbers seems odd.

Or just given an on-grid number like "900", but now I'm getting Fictional.

Brian556

Sorry to bump such an old quote, but I just found this:
Quote from: roadman65 on November 10, 2013, 03:25:37 PM
QuoteAlso in our very own backyard there are a few places around Orlando that forget about tourists and fail to keep up on shield maintenance.  Rosalind Avenue since it took the identity of SR 527 NB from Magnolia is one of many I can point out.

I did not realize this. I just assumed Orange was two way until the current config was created.
When did it change?
I also assume this is the reason for the oddball way all traffic on Magnolia approaching Livingston must U-turn, right?

roadman65

Been that way since the mid 1990's.  I cannot remember when, but recently FDOT removed the SB FL 527 shields from SR 50 and US 17 & 92 (Colonial Drive) for Orange Avenue.  So I assume the route is now truncated to Gore Street (where FDOT maintenance ends and Orlando City maintenance begins).  Even north of Downtown SR 527 signs are scarce to none there so it makes me wonder if FL 527 ends in Winter Park at FL 426 where it always did end.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Brian556

quote from roadman65:
QuoteBeen that way since the mid 1990's.  I cannot remember when, but recently FDOT removed the SB FL 527 shields from SR 50 and US 17 & 92 (Colonial Drive) for Orange Avenue.  So I assume the route is now truncated to Gore Street (where FDOT maintenance ends and Orlando City maintenance begins).  Even north of Downtown SR 527 signs are scarce to none there so it makes me wonder if FL 527 ends in Winter Park at FL 426 where it always did end.

On US 17/92, the signs only show SOUTH 527, but not NORTH 527, and the one on WB SR 426 has been removed. To me this indicates that the section from US 17/92 to SR 426 has been removed from the state highway system. It has also been streetscaped, which is another clue.

GSV shows a NORTH 527 assembly on NB Magnolia at Orange, and one at the intersection of Orange/Garland

There is also a NORTH 527 overhead NB Magnolia before Orange.

I'm wondering if the downtown decommissioned section runs from Gore all the way up to the RR tracks.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Brian556 on July 28, 2016, 02:44:59 AM
quote from roadman65:
QuoteBeen that way since the mid 1990's.  I cannot remember when, but recently FDOT removed the SB FL 527 shields from SR 50 and US 17 & 92 (Colonial Drive) for Orange Avenue.  So I assume the route is now truncated to Gore Street (where FDOT maintenance ends and Orlando City maintenance begins).  Even north of Downtown SR 527 signs are scarce to none there so it makes me wonder if FL 527 ends in Winter Park at FL 426 where it always did end.

On US 17/92, the signs only show SOUTH 527, but not NORTH 527, and the one on WB SR 426 has been removed. To me this indicates that the section from US 17/92 to SR 426 has been removed from the state highway system. It has also been streetscaped, which is another clue.

GSV shows a NORTH 527 assembly on NB Magnolia at Orange, and one at the intersection of Orange/Garland

There is also a NORTH 527 overhead NB Magnolia before Orange.

I'm wondering if the downtown decommissioned section runs from Gore all the way up to the RR tracks.

Or it could just be infamously bad signage in the city of Orlando.  If memory serves correct FL 526 is pretty badly signed and off the top of my head I can only recall signs located at Crystal Lake/Robinson.

roadman65

The former FL 527 shield on Colonial has been whited out going EB across the RR tracks.  So its not poor signage, although it always was there even before.

FL 438 was the same east of US 441.  It is hardly signed from US 441 to US 17 & 92 as well.

I believe that Winter Park took over Orange between US 17 & 92 and Fairbanks so they could add features to the downtown area of WP.  So the state highway may end there.  I will guess now its in two segments.  Even in South Florida we have poor signage as well.  FL A1A ALT is signed FL 811 and US 98 is not mentioned where it junctions US 1 going NB.  US 98 terminates in Palm Beach at FL A1A so it does intersect US 1 along the way.  So its the cities where you have the issues with signage I am seeing.

Sheryl Crowe

Avalanchez71

Did any of the county roads in Broward County ever get signed on the roads.  I recall that they were only ever signed off of I-95 and maybe I-75.

I recall in the late 80's that Griffin Road had CR 818 signs on I-95 once upon a time.  I think they were replaced with SR 818 signs at a later time.

Brian556

Quote from roadman 65:
QuoteFL 438 was the same east of US 441.  It is hardly signed from US 441 to US 17 & 92 as well.

On FL 438, There are state maint. begins/ends signs just west of Rio Grande Av, so it looks like the section from there over to US 17/92 was turned over to the city.

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.5718792,-81.4022093,3a,32.8y,303.56h,84.99t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4KomgVm2bGTRSeCSv1xsxA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Here's a snip of my Orlando Metro Map:

Here's a pic of a 1992 Map Showing SR 527 on Magnolia not Rosalind:

Notice the street grid difference at Maguire and Robinson

emory

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 28, 2016, 10:58:12 AM
Did any of the county roads in Broward County ever get signed on the roads.  I recall that they were only ever signed off of I-95 and maybe I-75.

I recall in the late 80's that Griffin Road had CR 818 signs on I-95 once upon a time.  I think they were replaced with SR 818 signs at a later time.

Nope. Broward County doesn't sign any of its county roads. If you ever see a pentagon shield for a Broward County road, it's always on an FDOT installation on one of their roads or intersections. There's a handful of them along US 441 and University Drive/FL 817.

formulanone

Quote from: emory on July 28, 2016, 04:12:19 PM

Nope. Broward County doesn't sign any of its county roads. If you ever see a pentagon shield for a Broward County road, it's always on an FDOT installation on one of their roads or intersections. There's a handful of them along US 441 and University Drive/FL 817.

Yeah, just trailblazer signage, and that's it. I can't recall county shields for re-assurance in Dade or Broward (just a handful of places in Palm Beach County). For most other Florida counties, it's common practice.

Now that I think of it, there was one CR 811 shield posted on the Dixie Highway flyover from Hillsboro into Palm Beach County.

Avalanchez71

When did they unmask SR 5 in Palm Beach County off of Olive Ave?  Wasn't this road marked as US 1 and the other road as SR 805?  I am trying to remember. 

roadman65

http://parkwaypatriots.weebly.com/uploads/2/1/4/0/2140400/sjhp_map_july_2015.pdf

A new road in Brevard County bringing the sprawl west of I-95 at Melbourne.  It will eventually have two interchanges with the interstate and both are in the PDE stage as we speak.

Sheryl Crowe

DeaconG

Quote from: roadman65 on July 28, 2016, 07:51:30 PM
http://parkwaypatriots.weebly.com/uploads/2/1/4/0/2140400/sjhp_map_july_2015.pdf

A new road in Brevard County bringing the sprawl west of I-95 at Melbourne.  It will eventually have two interchanges with the interstate and both are in the PDE stage as we speak.

Looks like they're not going any further south than Malabar Road, and while this road is needed (it should take some of the pressure off of Minton) it should have been built as a 4 lane expressway/limited access road as proposed.
Also looks like all that undeveloped property in the southwest end of Palm Bay is going to stay that way for the foreseeable future.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

jwolfer

Same in Duval County.. only pentagons are FDOT installs at junctions. Even CR 217 which has no other name..

I guess in urban counties the roads are known by names

emory

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 28, 2016, 07:29:41 PM
When did they unmask SR 5 in Palm Beach County off of Olive Ave?  Wasn't this road marked as US 1 and the other road as SR 805?  I am trying to remember.

Olive Ave is former US 1. When US 1 was re-routed onto Dixie Highway/SR 805, SR 5 was left on Olive Ave, but the portion in West Palm Beach was fully relinquished to city maintenance by 2011. SR 5 still exists on Federal Highway in Lake Worth.

Quote from: jwolfer on July 28, 2016, 11:15:13 PM

Same in Duval County.. only pentagons are FDOT installs at junctions. Even CR 217 which has no other name..

Yeah in Broward the only roads referred to by their numbers are US 441 and the interstates. Even US 1 is referred to as Federal Highway.

emory

According to the latest Broward County keysheet, SR 814 and SR 811 just got a lot shorter.

roadman65

Quote from: emory on July 29, 2016, 04:52:50 AM

Olive Ave is former US 1. When US 1 was re-routed onto Dixie Highway/SR 805, SR 5 was left on Olive Ave, but the portion in West Palm Beach was fully relinquished to city maintenance by 2011. SR 5 still exists on Federal Highway in Lake Worth.

Yeah in Broward the only roads referred to by their numbers are US 441 and the interstates. Even US 1 is referred to as Federal Highway.
So SR 5 is discontinuous in FL?  If West Palm Beach has it on Olive Avenue then the route don't exist there either?  Considering that I saw no mention of SR 5 on US 98/SR 80 at Olive Avenue, I guess that route does not exist there.

However, FDOT seems to omit US 98 signage on US 1 N Bound, so then again it could be FDOT screwing up, as city maintained numbered routes still are on the state route system, just not maintained by the state.

Sheryl Crowe

Avalanchez71

I wonder why they used SR 805 in lieu of SR 5A.

emory

Quote from: roadman65 on July 29, 2016, 06:26:35 AM
Quote from: emory on July 29, 2016, 04:52:50 AM

So SR 5 is discontinuous in FL?  If West Palm Beach has it on Olive Avenue then the route don't exist there either?  Considering that I saw no mention of SR 5 on US 98/SR 80 at Olive Avenue, I guess that route does not exist there.

However, FDOT seems to omit US 98 signage on US 1 N Bound, so then again it could be FDOT screwing up, as city maintained numbered routes still are on the state route system, just not maintained by the state.

Right. SR 5 stops at the West Palm Beach city limits on the canal, and then resumes at the intersection of US 1 and Belvedere Road, also the northern terminus of SR 805. I could believe FDOT just omitted some signs in the area. Palm Beach County has a handful of odd signage. The intersection you speak of has Southern Blvd signed as SR 80 from US 1 northbound. There are also roads intersecting US 441 that acknowledge it only as SR 7 on shields. I still remember driving US 441 northbound and seeing a SR 441 shield.

Numbered routes are not part of the state highway system once they are turned over to the city.

roadman65

Yet SR 15 remains on a useless overlap with SR 80 through Belle Glade.   Not only that but its cosigned with US 441 through Pahokee and Canal Point where no other place secret routes are signed.

In Canal Point where US 98 West turns left with US 441, there is no shield there as US 98 was recently realigned to follow US 441 through Pahokee instead of using what is now SR 700, which is why no shield there.   However it shows SR 700 going west with SR 15 and US 441.  A route that has a shield that is not signed at all until one reaches Brooksville over 100 and something miles away.

FDOT D4 is sure odd about priorities and consistency in signing.

Sheryl Crowe

formulanone

I think FL 15 has its original terminus at what is now CR 880, since 80 followed that from Palm Beach. There was no US 441 / 98 at the time, since 98 followed the Palm Beach Canal until 2008, and 441 wasn't extended until after the Great Renumbering.

Brian556

Quote from emory:
QuoteAccording to the latest Broward County keysheet, SR 814 and SR 811 just got a lot shorter.

Where do you find the keysheets? Can you provide a link? Thanks.

emory

Quote from: Brian556 on July 30, 2016, 12:32:45 PM
Quote from emory:
QuoteAccording to the latest Broward County keysheet, SR 814 and SR 811 just got a lot shorter.

Where do you find the keysheets? Can you provide a link? Thanks.

http://www2.dot.state.fl.us/Straight-linesOnlineGIS/

Pull up your county of choice. The keysheet is always top choice on the Roadway selection bar.

roadman65

Quote from: formulanone on July 30, 2016, 12:22:12 PM
I think FL 15 has its original terminus at what is now CR 880, since 80 followed that from Palm Beach. There was no US 441 / 98 at the time, since 98 followed the Palm Beach Canal until 2008, and 441 wasn't extended until after the Great Renumbering.
Makes sense, as also flaroads told me in a post on facebook.  CR 880 was indeed old 80 from twenty mile bend westward.  Yes, US 441 ended in Orlando, as Alex added a map on facebook showing that it never was on the southern half of OBT nor Dixie Highway like US 17 & 92 were.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.