News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

Quote from: Brian556 on July 22, 2013, 08:59:52 PM

That's the first time I've seen a Florida shield on an orange background; every construction zone I've seen used some sort of black-and-white sign. Heck, I've seen more "circle" shields used before for construction sites than the above example...

"Leg A" is one of those weirdos, probably because there's so many 44x variants in the area. I forget if I ever found a corresponding "Leg B"...

Brian556

Orange Co:

oddball.

NB US 441

Don't know why the 438 is still here, considering that state maint starts  E of here at TOLL 429

reassurance W of CR 545. They didn't bother with any 545 signage at this intersection. There is now a 545 reassurance N of 50; it looks like it was contractor-installed when 50 was widened. The non-cutouts are spreading Sumter...Lake...now W Orange. These are new; weren't there on streetview.
The street name signs for the cross street are inconsistent. At 50, they say Avalon to the south, Tildenville School to the north. At 438, there is an Avalon Rd sign hanging on the signal, and a post mounted Tildenville School Rd sign on the N side of the street.

Tildenville School Rd

WB at Tubb

NB Tubb

WB CR 438 at Tubb. Signs dated 1981, except white arrow, which is dated 1976.

More Orange County later...

agentsteel53

Quote from: Brian556 on July 23, 2013, 04:07:07 PM
WB CR 438 at Tubb. Signs dated 1981, except white arrow, which is dated 1976.

makes sense.  1977 was the great downgrade of a lot of Florida routes (mostly secondaries) to county maintenance.  the county probably kept the older arrow and replaced the rest of the signs
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

It's more complicated - 438 south became a county road in 1979, while 438 west held on until 1981.

Interesting to see the new CR 438 signage. Last time I was through there the only signs were at that one intersection in Oakland.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brian556

QuoteInteresting to see the new CR 438 signage. Last time I was through there the only signs were at that one intersection in Oakland.
I'm thinking that the new signs might have been installed due to the scenic route designation, and it's required signage.

NE2, the short section of the old SR 50 that is in Orange County, that you have to turn right to get onto, just before CR 438 ties into SR 50, is signed SR 438 on the street name blades. Am I correct that this was never part of SR 438? Is this just an error? What is Orange County's official name or designation for this section of road?

NE2

Quote from: Brian556 on July 23, 2013, 05:27:43 PM
I'm thinking that the new signs might have been installed due to the scenic route designation, and it's required signage.
The scenic route signs have been there for a while with no shields.

Quote from: Brian556 on July 23, 2013, 05:27:43 PM
NE2, the short section of the old SR 50 that is in Orange County, that you have to turn right to get onto, just before CR 438 ties into SR 50, is signed SR 438 on the street name blades. Am I correct that this was never part of SR 438? Is this just an error? What is Orange County's official name or designation for this section of road?
That was SR 438 - it ended at the county line.

It seems that Orange County's name for it is "State Road 438". Bleh.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

ET21

The one thing I was always fascinated with when we drove around Fort Myers/Sanibal Island were the sheer size of your traffic light poles. Those hurricanes must have a hard time taking those down  :)
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Brian556

The one thing I was always fascinated with when we drove around Fort Myers/Sanibal Island were the sheer size of your traffic light poles. Those hurricanes must have a hard time taking those down  :)

They are using the new heavy-duty signal poles in North Texas, too.

Big John

Quote from: Brian556 on July 23, 2013, 08:16:16 PM

They are using the new heavy-duty signal poles in North Texas, too.
WisDOT is now using them on state-maintained roads in Wisconsin in their conversion to vertical signals.  Can tell the contrast as counties/municipalities in the state are usually using lighter-duty mastarms in their new installations of vertical signals.

florida

Quote from: Brian556 on July 23, 2013, 04:07:07 PM
Orange Co:

[non-cutout CR 438 shield]

The non-cutouts are spreading Sumter...Lake...now W Orange. These are new; weren't there on streetview.
The street name signs for the cross street are inconsistent. At 50, they say Avalon to the south, Tildenville School to the north. At 438, there is an Avalon Rd sign hanging on the signal, and a post mounted Tildenville School Rd sign on the N side of the street.

There is also one straggler for Volusia CR 4053 that hopped across the St. Johns River from Lake County.
So many roads...so little time.

Brian556

More Orange Co...

SR 50 W Orange Co

Probably contractor-installed when 50 was reconstructed

SR 50

Downtown Orlando

WB CR 526

NB JYP...Faded CR 526 sign

EB SR 50

SB SR 423 at US 441

Notice that the direction changes.

Don't know why the redundant info is there....

agentsteel53

no photos yet of keys shields, or colored US shields.  are they that tough to find?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

realjd

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 24, 2013, 12:43:32 PM
no photos yet of keys shields, or colored US shields.  are they that tough to find?

No and yes. Keys shields aren't common but aren't difficult to find. Colored US shields are an extreme rarity.

Brian556

Quoteno photos yet of keys shields, or colored US shields.  are they that tough to find?

I got a keys shield...just be patient. It's comin'. I did get a blue US 90 in Walton Co, but there's no blue left.

FLRoads

Quote from: Brian556 on July 24, 2013, 10:36:09 AM

Don't know why the redundant info is there....
Hopefully when they replace signage at that intersection (after construction of the SPUI) they will not carbon copy them. I drove under that sign for years and never really thought about the redundancy of the SR 436 shield. At least there was not enough room to squeeze another one between the existing two... :D

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 24, 2013, 12:43:32 PM
They are not as difficult to find near where I am... :clap:

realjd

So I noticed driving home from the airport (MCO) today that FDOT went and covered the "CALL BOX" signs on I95 with duct tape and installed new mile marker signs (the standard boring ones) next to each call box. Are they getting rid of them? I always preferred Florida's style of combo call box/mile marker signs to the standard mile marker signs.

formulanone

Quote from: realjd on July 24, 2013, 06:04:07 PM
So I noticed driving home from the airport (MCO) today that FDOT went and covered the "CALL BOX" signs on I95 with duct tape and installed new mile marker signs (the standard boring ones) next to each call box. Are they getting rid of them? I always preferred Florida's style of combo call box/mile marker signs to the standard mile marker signs.

I drove home from Jacksonville via I-95 (well, mostly...finally snagged a few road snips and stragglers) and noticed they seemed to be missing; only the antenna post and CALL BOX mile marker signs remained. To be honest, I stopped looking for them after a few hours, but the only ones I noticed still standing were at the rest stops.

Also, I finally found these red US 1 signs that clef posted back in January:

Quote from: clef on January 27, 2013, 07:53:36 PM

I found them unexpectedly, no Street View Researching required. Turns out there's a pair of them, both installed in March of 2003!

realjd

Quote from: formulanone on July 24, 2013, 06:28:20 PM
Quote from: realjd on July 24, 2013, 06:04:07 PM

I drove home from Jacksonville via I-95 (well, mostly...finally snagged a few road snips and stragglers) and noticed they seemed to be missing; only the antenna post and CALL BOX mile marker signs remained. To be honest, I stopped looking for them after a few hours, but the only ones I noticed still standing were at the rest stops.

Also, I finally found these red US 1 signs that clef posted back in January:

I found them unexpectedly, no pre-searching required. Turn out there's a pair of them, both installed in March of 2003!

To be honest, I didn't think to look for the actual blue call box. I only noticed the new MM signs and the fact that the words "call box" were duct taped out.

Awesome on the red US1 shields! I'm glad there are a few out there. It seems like the only colored shields left are on rural highways, which US1 is has less of.

Brian556

NE of Orlando:

More white on blue CR signs on SB US 17/92

Off US 92 W of Daytona...The odd thing is that beyond the first turnoff in the national forest, the concrete outsides remain, but there are no bricks in the middle, just sand.

18x18

Told ya I had one.

WB I-4 W of Daytona. All traffic is on one side while the other side is being reconstructed.

The US 92 connector is also being rebuilt.

FLRoads

@ Brian556: Nice find on that Key shield! That was one that I did not know existed. The funny thing with that shield assembly is there is a pentagon shield preceding that one. Interesting that they did not take the Key shield down when they erected the pentagon.

Brian556

Quote@ Brian556: Nice find on that Key shield! That was one that I did not know existed. The funny thing with that shield assembly is there is a pentagon shield preceding that one. Interesting that they did not take the Key shield down when they erected the pentagon.

Thanks.

Yeah, I noticed that and thought that it was odd. Also this one is on a round pole. Most others are on u-channels.

formulanone

Where is that brick road located, Brian? It's in much better shape than the 9-mile section of Old Dixie Highway between CR13 at Espanola and CR 204.

Brian556

QuoteWhere is that brick road located, Brian?
US 92 SW of Daytona.
On the north side of the road, part of it is in good shape, but after a certain point, the bricks are gone, leaving just the concrete edges with sand in between. Very strange.
It also continues on the other side of the highway, but that parts completely abandoned.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=29.118537,-81.177893&spn=0.012466,0.025041&t=h&z=16

formulanone

Thanks! That's what I get for clinching that portion of 92 in the evening...I'll have to check that out another time. I wonder if the loosened bricks annoyed some people, and/or if they were poached for construction.

Old Brick Road had a few loose bricks, but was in surprisingly good shape for a 100-year-old alignment; it was covered with a lot of sand in most places.

florida

I'm also surprised that C-304 shield is still standing! That was one of my first finds way back when.
So many roads...so little time.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.