News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UptownRoadGeek

Does anyone know the status of or have any information on the Palmetto/Dolphin interchange around Miami? I remember seeing some plans for it a while back and was just curious.

formulanone

The expectation is 2015 for the FL 836/826 interchange. Under construction since 2010, I recall.

emory

I know this doesn't matter to motorists, but I do wish the Sawgrass Expressway would modify its exit signs so they don't acknowledge certain exits as state roads. Either replace them with county shields, pull them completely, or add a "TO" next to them. Right now the only state road that touches the freeway is US 441/SR 7. I-75/I-595 notwithstanding.

formulanone

Since the county shields are rarely used in Broward County - even less so than Los Angeles County - I think that will only serve to confuse. The road name essentially suffices in that area, and maps/navigation will show the number (even if technically incorrect). Most of the signage was installed around 2008, when FL 869 was widened to six lanes, although there's a few somewhat older ones out there.

Despite a lot of split-maintenance routes, there's not many examples in Florida of them displayed together on the same BGS. You do see them frequently displayed as trailblazers, however.

emory

Yes I've found very few county shields in Broward, and they're usually on FL 817 or US 441, but even I-75 south of I-595 keeps its overhead signage up to date, with Pines Blvd now the only exit carrying a state shield. The Griffin Rd, Sheridan St, and Miramar Pkwy exits are simply blank.

NE2

Better the wrong shield than no shield.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

emory

I'd take the no shield option, since Broward doesn't sign county roads. The overhead CR 814 signs at University Drive in Coral Springs are probably the only ones in the whole county.

NE2

Quote from: emory on November 07, 2013, 04:36:35 AM
I'd take the no shield option, since Broward doesn't sign county roads. The overhead CR 814 signs at University Drive in Coral Springs are probably the only ones in the whole county.
Who does no shield benefit? Having a shield, even the wrong shield, helps those who are looking for a certain route and don't know/care that it doesn't make it all the way to 869.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

formulanone

Certainly one of the few overheads with multiple MUTCD pentagons I've seen anywhere in the state. Despite the traffic, the strict mileage cap set by FDOT means it probably won't change back to SR status any time soon. Florida seems to have that habit of putting the yellow square around the pentagons, presumably for visibility - it's almost unreadable on a green background.

Brian556

I don't see how the yellow background is needed for visability. All it does is make the signs look like shit. Every other state that has shielded county roads does not use the yellow background.

NE2

emory

Quote from: NE2 on November 07, 2013, 07:47:37 AM
Who does no shield benefit? Having a shield, even the wrong shield, helps those who are looking for a certain route and don't know/care that it doesn't make it all the way to 869.

It's safe to say the local residents refer to these roads by their names and not their route numbers. Even state freeways.

Quote from: formulanone on November 07, 2013, 09:05:34 AM
Certainly one of the few overheads with multiple MUTCD pentagons I've seen anywhere in the state. Despite the traffic, the strict mileage cap set by FDOT means it probably won't change back to SR status any time soon.

It doesn't seem like FDOT wants to maintain any local roads west of FL 817 in north Broward or FL 823 in south Broward, or it's possible the cities don't want them to either. Right now only FL 820 reaches all the way to US 27, and it wouldn't surprise me if they relinquished that piece in the near future.

xcellntbuy

Quote from: formulanone on November 07, 2013, 09:05:34 AM

Certainly one of the few overheads with multiple MUTCD pentagons I've seen anywhere in the state. Despite the traffic, the strict mileage cap set by FDOT means it probably won't change back to SR status any time soon. Florida seems to have that habit of putting the yellow square around the pentagons, presumably for visibility - it's almost unreadable on a green background.
I travel under these shields every morning in the dark and they are non-reflective to the point of looking almost black, even close-up.

NE2

Quote from: emory on November 07, 2013, 08:28:48 PM
It's safe to say the local residents refer to these roads by their names and not their route numbers. Even state freeways.
Local residents are not the intended audience.

brickbuilder711

Even though no overhead signage, CR 811 which appears to be a 3/10 mile section of Dixie Highway is also signed as of the Dixie Flyover project.

andy3175

Quote from: NE2 on November 07, 2013, 09:04:07 PM

Completely agree. Route numbers help the motoring public to identify through routes. It's OK if locals call a route by name; it's also OK if a route number is assigned to help non-locals to find their way around town.

I wish we had a more robust county signing system like this in California.

Regards,
Andy
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

formulanone

Quote from: brickbuilder711 on November 08, 2013, 09:22:26 PM

Even though no overhead signage, CR 811 which appears to be a 3/10 mile section of Dixie Highway is also signed as of the Dixie Flyover project.

Yeah, there's a shield...with a white banner. I wonder if a state road sign was mounted there until the last minute.

roadman65

To bad the City of Baltimore does not take this into consideration for US 1 that has sparse to none signing along its route through this major city.

Also in our very own backyard there are a few places around Orlando that forget about tourists and fail to keep up on shield maintenance.  Rosalind Avenue since it took the identity of SR 527 NB from Magnolia is one of many I can point out.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

cpzilliacus

Quote from: roadman65 on November 10, 2013, 03:25:37 PM
To bad the City of Baltimore does not take this into consideration for US 1 that has sparse to none signing along its route through this major city.

U.S. 40 is not much better in Baltimore.

Then there's the matter of U.S. 1 Alternate in Washington, D.C. - it simply is not signed - at all.

Quote from: roadman65 on November 10, 2013, 03:25:37 PM
Also in our very own backyard there are a few places around Orlando that forget about tourists and fail to keep up on shield maintenance.  Rosalind Avenue since it took the identity of SR 527 NB from Magnolia is one of many I can point out.

Yes, maintaining signs is more important in places with lots of visitor/tourist traffic.  Not that D.C. is especially concerned about same.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Brian556

In the Orlando area, Orange County does not have it's county routes properly signed. Signage is very hit and miss.

FLRoads

Florida senators want to increase speed limit to 75 on highways

The proposed increase would be along rural interstates. The measure will go before Legislation during the 2014 session.

realjd

Quote from: flaroads on November 12, 2013, 09:59:06 PM

The proposed increase would be along rural interstates. The measure will go before Legislation during the 2014 session.

+1

Traffic moves well above 70 already so they may as well legalize it.

I've heard from a few of my cop neighbors and friends that the unofficial rule is less than 85 and they won't bother pulling you over unless you're otherwise driving like a dick or fit the profile of a drug runner car. I wonder if the tolerance there will go up as well. I have a hard time believing that FHP will raise their tolerance limit to 90.

emory

Quote from: Brian556 on November 12, 2013, 12:24:12 PM
In the Orlando area, Orange County does not have it's county routes properly signed. Signage is very hit and miss.

And there's an awful lot in Orange County aren't there? At least they sign the SR 15 maintenance gap so motorists can continue the route. I guess that grew not long ago. The state relinquished SR 15 from the Beeline to Lee Vista.

roadman65

Quote from: flaroads on November 12, 2013, 09:59:06 PM

Aligator Alley and parts of the Turnpike would benefit from being 75 and it would give more than enough miles of road to warrant it!   Look at LA with I-49, the 92 mile stretch from SR 70 to US 192, all of I-75 from Naples to Andytown, and parts of I-10 west of Tallahassee would be more miles than from Opelousas to Shreveport.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

The new braided ramp at I-4 eastbound exit 65 (Osceola Parkway) is now open.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.