News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

Quote from: btl1016 on May 21, 2021, 11:41:55 AM
Turnpike-417 flyover ramps officially open as of today!

https://floridasturnpike.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Floridas-Turnpike-Enterprise-Opens-New-Ramps-at-SR-417-Interchange-in-Orlando.pdf

I feel like so many flyovers replacing cloverleafs would be simplified if they used this design.

RG407

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on May 19, 2021, 06:56:59 AM
Has anybody been on FL-46 as of late in the Wekiva Parkway construction area?

OSM is showing that FL-46 has been realigned onto the Wekiva alignment between Old CR-46A & Exit 44 and would like some confirmation on this so I can update TM's FL-46 file with this change.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/28.8137/-81.4929

OSM looks to be accurate.  SR 46 isn't signed very well on the surface streets, but you do have to use the interchange with Wekiva Parkway/SR 429 in order to stay on 46.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: RG407 on May 24, 2021, 12:23:06 AM

OSM is showing that FL-46 has been realigned onto the Wekiva alignment between Old CR-46A & Exit 44 and would like some confirmation on this so I can update TM's FL-46 file with this change.

OSM looks to be accurate.  SR 46 isn't signed very well on the surface streets, but you do have to use the interchange with Wekiva Parkway/SR 429 in order to stay on 46.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Also, seems I need to split FL-46 into 2 separate files now anyways.
https://goo.gl/maps/mGwjUvncU6wduVZS6

Do you know the status of signage between FL-453 (Toll) & CR-46A?  Is there a similar "END" shield @ FL-453?  Only reason I'm asking is because of this on the end of FL-453 saying FL-46 only goes West from there (StreetView, February '20).

I'd have no problem ATM just cutting out the 'CR-46A' segment since it's pretty well signed and dealing with the segment between FL-453 & CR-46A at a later time, due to signage at least being still present as of February '20 per StreetView & the latest GIS data (from 05/22/21) still staying that's part of FL-46.  (Weirdly enough, they say CR-46A is SR-46A in the GIS, but that might just be temporary.)

Great Lakes Roads

As of today (May 28, 2021), Florida's Turnpike Enterprise (FTE) now accepts EZ-Pass on their system!

kevinb1994

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on May 28, 2021, 04:01:08 PM
As of today (May 28, 2021), Florida's Turnpike Enterprise (FTE) now accepts EZ-Pass on their system!
Woo-hoo! Finally!

NJRoadfan

Figures they start taking E-ZPass right after I buy a SunPass :P Guess I'll close that account and rip the sticker off.

kevinb1994

Quote from: NJRoadfan on May 28, 2021, 04:52:34 PM
Figures they start taking E-ZPass right after I buy a SunPass :p Guess I'll close that account and rip the sticker off.
My dad keeps forgetting to cancel our EZPass account. We've had E-Pass since the last time we were going to Disney World.

jmacswimmer

Interesting that SunPass users will have to purchase a new transponder in order to use their SunPass accounts in any E-ZPass states not named GA or NC, but I presume it's due to most E-ZPass states being unable to read the existing SunPass stickers.

But good to know for any future trips to FL I can just use my existing E-ZPass and (more importantly) not have to deal with tolls-by-mail! (paging vdeane - you no longer have to shunpike the Homestead Extension! :biggrin:)
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

NJRoadfan

E-ZPass roadways don't have readers for the ISO 6B SeGo RFID sticker transponders used by SunPass and E-Pass. This is really a case of another toll agency bending backwards to support the ancient active transponder tech and not true inter-op. FTE likely retrofitted new multi-protocol lane readers for the IAG tags.

I find it frustrating that the E-ZPass IAG hasn't pushed for passive sticker tag readers on their member toll roads. Eventually the existing equipment has to be replaced and might as well phase in the newer technology in the process. The stickers are much cheaper to make and you don't have to deal with a battery going dead.

ran4sh

I agree.

And the only advantage of the hard case transponder is that they can be moved between different cars. But that's not an inherent advantage, because the sticker type transponder could simply be redesigned to be removable.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

1995hoo

Quote from: ran4sh on May 28, 2021, 06:24:12 PM
I agree.

And the only advantage of the hard case transponder is that they can be moved between different cars. But that's not an inherent advantage, because the sticker type transponder could simply be redesigned to be removable.

It is removable. You just use tape to fasten it to the windshield.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

vdeane

I agree.

There's also the ability to record the entry point and transmit it back, but I'm not sure if that capability is still used, especially given how much longer the virtual ticket system tolls on the Thruway take to post than the virtual barrier tolls (except 24-25 and 25-25A, due to the need to guess whether one used I-88, requiring the virtual ticket system toll to the west to post first).

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 28, 2021, 06:45:17 PM
I agree.

That's more of a workaround than intrinsic functionality.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

1995hoo

It was interesting, driving down the Turnpike between I-75 and Broward County on Thursday, I noted the "Payment Methods Accepted"  signs all had something covered up in silver. I told my wife I guessed those were E-ZPass logos. I'll have to remove the E-ZPass for the drive back north. 

NJRoadfan

They updated the SunPass smartphone app with the new color scheme and branding of the website. Gone with the green and in with the blue!

ran4sh

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 28, 2021, 06:45:17 PM
I agree.

That is what I do, but the toll agency isn't instructing drivers to mount them that way, so there aren't many drivers that do that.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

1995hoo

I note the Florida's Turnpike website shows Minnesota as a state that will be accepting E-ZPass (and the new "SunPass Pro"  device) starting sometime in the near future.

oscar

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 29, 2021, 10:05:53 AM
I note the Florida's Turnpike website shows Minnesota as a state that will be accepting E-ZPass (and the new "SunPass Pro"  device) starting sometime in the near future.

Perhaps as soon as this summer.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

roadman65

I had a guy who was an Ohio EZ Pass customer whom it registered in my toll lane on Polk Parkway in Lakeland.  So it's now interchangeable.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

Quote from: roadman65 on May 29, 2021, 12:09:47 PM
I had a guy who was an Ohio EZ Pass customer whom it registered in my toll lane on Polk Parkway in Lakeland.  So it's now interchangeable.

Our SunPass transactions on Thursday all posted to the SunPass account and none posted to the E-ZPass even though I hadn't removed it from the windshield, so I guess it really wasn't working until yesterday. 

RG407

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on May 25, 2021, 01:25:24 AM
Quote from: RG407 on May 24, 2021, 12:23:06 AM

Thanks for the confirmation.

Also, seems I need to split FL-46 into 2 separate files now anyways.
https://goo.gl/maps/mGwjUvncU6wduVZS6

Do you know the status of signage between FL-453 (Toll) & CR-46A?  Is there a similar "END" shield @ FL-453?  Only reason I'm asking is because of this on the end of FL-453 saying FL-46 only goes West from there (StreetView, February '20).

I'd have no problem ATM just cutting out the 'CR-46A' segment since it's pretty well signed and dealing with the segment between FL-453 & CR-46A at a later time, due to signage at least being still present as of February '20 per StreetView & the latest GIS data (from 05/22/21) still staying that's part of FL-46.  (Weirdly enough, they say CR-46A is SR-46A in the GIS, but that might just be temporary.)

As far as I know, SR 46 is signed as normal west of the construction that's being done around where SR 46, CR 46A and SR 429 all mingle.  I have no idea why there was an END sign in that Streetview shot, but I think it was an error.  It's pretty confusing around there because of the construction and realignments of 46 and 46A.

roadman65

Some car traveling west on FL 570 lost control of his car, hit an empty toll booth, flipped to its side, and slid around until he hit the concrete wall.

Thankfully the driver was unscathed and that no one was inside the booth (As it's not used anymore except if the usual cash lane is down) as the car got totaled and the side of the booth was sheared off.

Was less than 50 feet away and saw it but nothing out of the ordinary before the car crashed.  I couldn't even tell the trooper what the driver had done to flip himself.

Scary situation as many drivers speed through the cash lanes at 70 or greater thinking that it's no big deal. 

Another reason to go all open road tolling.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Plutonic Panda

I don't understand keeping old toll booths at all. They are ugly. The Golden Gate and Bay Bridge still has their toll booths standing as well requiring traffic to come to a crawl though them.

DeaconG

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 31, 2021, 04:06:48 PM
I don't understand keeping old toll booths at all. They are ugly. The Golden Gate and Bay Bridge still has their toll booths standing as well requiring traffic to come to a crawl though them.
Money. Ducats. Simoleons. Quatloos. Gold-pressed latinum. As in LACK OF.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

formulanone

Quote from: DeaconG on June 03, 2021, 01:14:09 PM

Lakeland-area radio station can create a Toll Booth Smash-a-Thon; bring your own demolition equipment and haul it away! We'll be giving away prizes and food and T-shirts that say "I don't quite work for FDOT". Come on Publix, show some love for this idea...help the community, save lives, promote technology, provide the wings and sub sandwiches.

DeaconG

Quote from: formulanone on June 03, 2021, 01:18:38 PM
Quote from: DeaconG on June 03, 2021, 01:14:09 PM

Lakeland-area radio station can create a Toll Booth Smash-a-Thon; bring your own demolition equipment and haul it away! We'll be giving away prizes and food and T-shirts that say "I don't quite work for FDOT". Come on Publix, show some love for this idea...help the community, save lives, promote technology, provide the wings and sub sandwiches.

Have Krispy Kreme throw in warm donuts and it's ON!
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.