News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

Quote from: roadman65 on November 13, 2013, 05:54:47 PM
...all of I-75 from Naples to Andytown...

The cynic in me says Snake Road overpass area gets to stay at 70, so the Miccosukee Police can make a few greenbacks.

roadman65

I just saw a screw up by either the signing contractor or project designer in Orlando.  The NB US 441 reassurence marker just north of Lee Road that was removed during the JYP Extension project has been replaced.  Yes replaced!  However, not like it should as there is now a FL 441 shield at that particular location.

Yet around the corner new US 441 shields are in place along NB FL 423 on its new ramp to Lee Road.  It would be interesting to know how they can screw that one up. 

It was dark yesterday when I saw it and did not have my camera, so I was unable to get a photo of it, but will get one soon.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

I was wondering about the truck route for US 17-92 in Kissimmee. FL and why it now exists using Osceola Parkway and John Young Parkway as it bypasses nothing that creates a problem.  The area it bypasses is where US 17-92 is concurrent with either US 192 or US 441, and both of these routes have no truck bypass where overlapped.

Years ago, I know, there used to be a Truck Route US 17-92 that followed today's US 17-92 around Downtown Kissimmee as the mainline originally went through Downtown.  That was for obvious reasons, but this does not bypass anything at all! 

I do not even see trucks obeying it either as I witnessed one trucker who followed mainline US 17-92 completely through Kissimmee, even though I wished he would have followed it as he was ignorant to the right lane drop just south of Osceola Parkway where he did an unsafe lane change to get back onto the main through lanes.

This to me, seems useless unless FDOT is trying to loosen up the load on US 192. This here is where the left turn lanes are already filled to capacity where both directions of US 17-92 need to turn left to leave its US 192 concurrency. If they trying to get rid of the trucks that take up space in the already crowded turn lanes it does make sense. 

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Quote from: roadman65 on December 03, 2013, 10:59:40 AM
I was wondering about the truck route for US 17-92 in Kissimmee. FL and why it now exists using Osceola Parkway and John Young Parkway as it bypasses nothing that creates a problem.  The area it bypasses is where US 17-92 is concurrent with either US 192 or US 441, and both of these routes have no truck bypass where overlapped.
Maybe the intent is to avoid the turns at constrained intersections.

I do not even see trucks obeying it either as I witnessed one trucker who followed mainline US 17-92 completely through Kissimmee, even though I wished he would have followed it as he was ignorant to the right lane drop just south of Osceola Parkway where he did an unsafe lane change to get back onto the main through lanes.
Truckers don't have to obey it, unless there are signs on the mainline that ban trucks.

This to me, seems useless unless FDOT is trying to loosen up the load on US 192. This here is where the left turn lanes are already filled to capacity where both directions of US 17-92 need to turn left to leave its US 192 concurrency. If they trying to get rid of the trucks that take up space in the already crowded turn lanes it does make sense. 
Yeah, that's probably it. And trucks needing to make wide right turns.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brian556

QuoteTruckers don't have to obey it, unless there are signs on the mainline that ban trucks.

What? The one for US 380 in Denton, TX , just has/had "US 380 [direction] TRUCK ROUTE JCT 1/2 MILE" then a "TRUCK [direction] US 380 --> assembly. There are/were no "NO TRUCKS" signs on the mainline.

They do enforce it.

Note...they have added at least one no trucks w/ straight arrow to a route marker assembly at I-35. I really don't frequent this area anymore, so I don't know if anything else has been added.

NE2

Quote from: Brian556 on December 03, 2013, 01:28:31 PM
What? The one for US 380 in Denton, TX , just has/had "US 380 [direction] TRUCK ROUTE JCT 1/2 MILE" then a "TRUCK [direction] US 380 --> assembly. There are/were no "NO TRUCKS" signs on the mainline.

They do enforce it.
There may be a local ordinance, but I can't see them winning in court if signs are not posted, at least on a first offense. It's simple enough to post 'no trucks' or 'thru trucks must turn right' signs.

http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2009/part2/part2d.htm#section2D20
QuoteOption:
01 The TRUCK (M4-4) auxiliary sign (see Figure 2D-4) may be used to designate an alternate route that branches from a numbered route, when it is desirable to encourage or require commercial vehicles to use the alternate route.
Bold added.

Also, I've communicated with FDOT about where there are truck bans on state roads, and they confirmed that the existence of a signed truck route does not itself ban thru trucks from the non-truck route.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

mstgator

For anyone who'd like to get some photos on the I-4/Selmon Expressway Connector before it opens to traffic:

http://www.mytbi.com/news/quick.asp?newsid=276

RUN the Connector (before you can drive it)
11/21/2013
You've been watching the construction of the I-4/Selmon Expressway Connector since March of 2010.

Wouldn't it be special to run/walk on the ramps without having to worry about traffic?

Your one legal chance to do just that happens December 28, 2013 in the "Run the Connector 5K!"

Yes -- a 5K run will be held on a portion of the new elevated roadway -- allowing the public a one-time opportunity to see Tampa from a unique perspective as they run from 20th Street to Interstate 4 and back. Along the mostly-elevated route on some of the new bridges, runners will be able to see McKay Bay, Palmetto Beach, the roadway's state-of-the-art tolling gantry, downtown Tampa and many other interesting views. Local charities will benefit from race proceeds.

More info and registration is available at RunTheConnector5K.com. Register today!

PColumbus73

While I was going through Florida over Thanksgiving Weekend, I noticed Duval County/Jacksonville are in the process of resigning I-95, adding APL at the 295 interchanges. Also, I was wondering what they are building on the south side of Jacksonville, below the southern interchange with I-295, is it a dog-leg between 95 and 295 similar to I-865 in Indianapolis?

NE2

Quote from: PColumbus73 on December 04, 2013, 12:01:15 PM
Also, I was wondering what they are building on the south side of Jacksonville, below the southern interchange with I-295, is it a dog-leg between 95 and 295 similar to I-865 in Indianapolis?
Yes: http://www.sr9b.com/sr9b/ (it's planned to be I-795)

rickmastfan67

Quote from: NE2 on December 04, 2013, 12:03:02 PM
Quote from: PColumbus73 on December 04, 2013, 12:01:15 PM
Also, I was wondering what they are building on the south side of Jacksonville, below the southern interchange with I-295, is it a dog-leg between 95 and 295 similar to I-865 in Indianapolis?
Yes: http://www.sr9b.com/sr9b/ (it's planned to be I-795)

And here's the thread we have dedicated on that highway:
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=2867.0

roadman65

I was just by the future Jeff Fuqua Boulevard (aka Airport Boulevard) and SR 417 interchange that was developing in Orange County, and saw that they stopped construction of the direct freeway to freeway connection between SR 417 and the Orlando Airport.  The partially built roadway has it stop just south of J Lawson Boulevard with an Evil Knievel ramp south of the new underpass, plus the work on FL 417 itself only created stubs, but the in between seems to have stopped. 

It looks like to me that the project was not for a complete connection, but partial work as either the OOCEA or the Airport is waiting to figure out where to obtain the funding is to come from.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Quote from: roadman65 on December 06, 2013, 05:56:58 PM
It looks like to me that the project was not for a complete connection, but partial work as either the OOCEA or the Airport is waiting to figure out where to obtain the funding is to come from.
It looks like to me that you're wrong.
http://www.oocea.com/TravelersExpressways/Expressways/CurrentExpressways/417EasternBeltway/ConstructionProjects/tabid/356/Article/257/sr-417boggy-creek-road-interchange.aspx
QuoteDuring phase one, beginning February 2013, new alignments will be constructed. Phase two, estimated to start in early 2014, will include the construction of the new flyover ramps for the interchange. Work is anticipated to be completed by late 2015.

emory

Quote from: mstgator on December 03, 2013, 07:30:26 PM
For anyone who'd like to get some photos on the I-4/Selmon Expressway Connector before it opens to traffic:

http://www.mytbi.com/news/quick.asp?newsid=276

RUN the Connector (before you can drive it)
11/21/2013
You've been watching the construction of the I-4/Selmon Expressway Connector since March of 2010.

Wouldn't it be special to run/walk on the ramps without having to worry about traffic?

Your one legal chance to do just that happens December 28, 2013 in the "Run the Connector 5K!"

Yes -- a 5K run will be held on a portion of the new elevated roadway -- allowing the public a one-time opportunity to see Tampa from a unique perspective as they run from 20th Street to Interstate 4 and back. Along the mostly-elevated route on some of the new bridges, runners will be able to see McKay Bay, Palmetto Beach, the roadway's state-of-the-art tolling gantry, downtown Tampa and many other interesting views. Local charities will benefit from race proceeds.

More info and registration is available at RunTheConnector5K.com. Register today!

Does this connector have a route number?

roadman65

Quote from: NE2 on December 06, 2013, 06:33:13 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on December 06, 2013, 05:56:58 PM
It looks like to me that you're wrong.
http://www.oocea.com/TravelersExpressways/Expressways/CurrentExpressways/417EasternBeltway/ConstructionProjects/tabid/356/Article/257/sr-417boggy-creek-road-interchange.aspx
QuoteDuring phase one, beginning February 2013, new alignments will be constructed. Phase two, estimated to start in early 2014, will include the construction of the new flyover ramps for the interchange. Work is anticipated to be completed by late 2015.
I am glad that I am wrong here, although the gap between phases is a little too big I must add. 

The JYP widening from four to eight lanes, on another topic, is taking forever to transfer traffic to the newly constructed right lane so that the left lane can be closed to work on the median for the new left lane and turn lanes.  It seems like they are dragging their feet in getting this part done as the Sand Lake Intersection was completed in no time, yet since they finished that part of the project work has been scarce.  True the drainage area between both Southpark Circle's intersections was a big project and that took months to accomplish, but the rest was laid out back in July.  The drainage part was done in September of this year and three whole months passed and only a couple of bulldozers or two were seen moving dirt around during this time frame.

The project, unlike the SR 417/ Boggy Creek interchange is one whole project with maybe the Sand Lake part the first phase as that intersection is a major point where minimum interruptions are to be kept while the rest is back burner stuff.  However, it should not take them that long to move traffic over on a road that has been paved already.  It would be most interesting to see what the hold up is, or if Orange County granted the company time in between so that another worthwhile project takes place in another part of the county.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Fenton has been sitting there for months, seemingly ready to open.

roadman65

Quote from: NE2 on December 07, 2013, 01:16:56 PM
Fenton has been sitting there for months, seemingly ready to open.
So is Destination Way.  It is only incomplete from JYP to one block west.  They have the light working now at its terminus with John Young and Southpark Circle, but you would figure that a short little piece of road would take only a week or so to complete.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Destination Parkway is accessible via Futures Drive, so big whoop.

roadman65

Quote from: NE2 on December 10, 2013, 01:09:24 AM
Destination Parkway is accessible via Futures Drive, so big whoop.
They could have completed that lousy few hundred feet easily.  You said it yourself what a relief route that is going to be when its all done and called Orange County a NIMBY basically on an earlier post for them not getting it done already.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

roadman65

Quote from: NE2 on December 10, 2013, 12:40:42 PM
what
Please I ain't got no time to look back through thousands of posts, but you did complain about Orange County once before when I mentioned the widening of JYP from FL 528 to Sand Lake when I mentioned it in a thread months ago that it stopped Destination Way from being completed as I guessed they were waiting for the widening to finish to link the two together.  You were rambling on how that was not a good idea as you felt at the time that completing Destination Way would help ease congestion on JYP.

Anyway, back onto another topic.  I just rode EB FL 408 to its eastern end and noticed that the curve where the Expressway goes from heading E-W to N-S that left a wide median as the two carriageways deviated some distance from each other was changed a bit.  Now both carriageways stay together instead of splitting apart. 

This was done for if or when the OOCEA decides to extend FL 408 to either FL 520 or I-95 on the Coast that the point of extension could be constructed with the current freeway curves become interchange ramps to what would become an extended Challenger Parkway.  Now, I would not think that OOCEA would give up on the idea of extending the FL 408, considering that FL 50 is congested from Orlando to the 520 cut off, so I am to think that it must be a safety issue, being I have driven that curve multiple times, with motorists having to slow down below the posted 55 mph that is implemented there.  I doubt that anyone would do double work as now a new interchange would have to be constructed if the OOCEA does decide to ever extend FL 408 to the east, instead of in the past where the new road would be built in the wide median.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Uh no. I was saying that they should get what's now open opened up, so JYP-bound traffic has an alternate route.

roadman65

Conroy Road and Millenia Boulevard once faced what Fenton Street is now.  The Conroy Overpass was finished long before its opening that caused traffic on Conroy a needless long detour.  I am sure you know that Americana Boulevard once continued west of John Young Parkway and was aligned through where Millenia Mall now sits. 

The mall itself was constructed along with the overpass over I-4, so for many months motorists had to follow the existing Conroy between its curve west of JYP to Millenia Boulevard then be forced to turn south on Millenia (as Millenia from Conroy to JYP was not opened yet either) then to Radebaugh Way to where American once termiated at Vineland Road.   That was, indeed, a long detour considering it replaced where drivers once drove straight across the present day retail area and yet could not drive another straight line (that is the current Conroy across I-4).

Nonetheless, hold ups seem to happen quite frequently when it comes to roads.  Some for extended periods as well as in the case of Fenton Street.

Sheryl Crowe

emory

It looks like once the I-4/Selmon connector is complete, FDOT is going to relinquish FL 585. At least in downtown Ybor City. I wonder if they'll turn over more than that since it cosigns with US 41 Business.

NE2

Quote from: emory on December 12, 2013, 10:08:21 PM
It looks like once the I-4/Selmon connector is complete, FDOT is going to relinquish FL 585.
[citation needed]

I wonder if they'll turn over more than that since it cosigns with US 41 Business.
It's not on US 41 Business, cosigned or otherwise. That part of 41 Business is SR 45.

florida

Quote from: NE2 on December 12, 2013, 10:12:35 PM
It looks like once the I-4/Selmon connector is complete, FDOT is going to relinquish FL 585.
[citation needed]

I had an email chat with Brian Beaty of District 7 asking about any state roads that are planned to be added or deleted. This was October of 2009.

"From time to time the jurisdiction of a state road is transferred to a city or county.  Florida statutes require that changes in jurisdiction may only be accomplished by mutual agreement of the parties involved.

I am the District's coordinator for such transfer of jurisdiction.  At present, we are working with the City of Tampa for the transfer jurisdiction of S.R. 585 (21st and 22nd Streets), from S.R. 60 to S.R. 600 (Hillsborough Avenue).  No formal agreement has been executed.  A public hearing is typically offered prior to effecting a formal agreement, and would be advertized in the Tampa Tribune newspaper."
So many roads...so little time.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.