News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLRoads

emory

Quote from: NE2 on December 12, 2013, 10:12:35 PM
Quote from: emory on December 12, 2013, 10:08:21 PM
It looks like once the I-4/Selmon connector is complete, FDOT is going to relinquish FL 585.
[citation needed]

I wonder if they'll turn over more than that since it cosigns with US 41 Business.
It's not on US 41 Business, cosigned or otherwise. That part of 41 Business is SR 45.

I thought it followed 41 Bus south of FL 60. My mistake then.

Quote from: florida on December 13, 2013, 01:20:58 AM
Quote from: NE2 on December 12, 2013, 10:12:35 PM
It looks like once the I-4/Selmon connector is complete, FDOT is going to relinquish FL 585.
[citation needed]

I had an email chat with Brian Beaty of District 7 asking about any state roads that are planned to be added or deleted. This was October of 2009.

"From time to time the jurisdiction of a state road is transferred to a city or county.  Florida statutes require that changes in jurisdiction may only be accomplished by mutual agreement of the parties involved.

I am the District's coordinator for such transfer of jurisdiction.  At present, we are working with the City of Tampa for the transfer jurisdiction of S.R. 585 (21st and 22nd Streets), from S.R. 60 to S.R. 600 (Hillsborough Avenue).  No formal agreement has been executed.  A public hearing is typically offered prior to effecting a formal agreement, and would be advertized in the Tampa Tribune newspaper."

So it sounds like FDOT wants to drop all of current route 585. Maybe the connector can take that number. I sure would've liked it to take a 3di of Interstate 4, but the state seems reluctant to put tolls on interstates.

roadman65

I just found out why the construction contractor who is widening John Young Parkway in Orlando, is stalling!   It is not that they are not working on the job, it is just that their priorities are all wrong.

They have the new permanent right lane in from Sand Lake Road to FL 528, as they have had for months now. However, yesterday I seen workers pouring concrete for the sidewalk and placing sod down on the side of the road along with it.

Instead of just opening the new road and commencing on ripping up the median for the new left lane grading, they are wasting time on a sidewalk that really does not need immediate attention.  The sidewalks could be done at anytime, but traffic is a nightmare between the hours of 5 PM and 7 PM if you head southbound on JYP as businesses along the side roads are ending their shifts and emptying more cars into the already congested roadway.  This causing a five minuet ride into almost 25 minuets of waiting. 

Just when you think you have seen it all, something else comes up that makes absolutely no sense at all!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Henry

Quote from: emory on December 14, 2013, 06:59:45 AMSo it sounds like FDOT wants to drop all of current route 585. Maybe the connector can take that number. I sure would've liked it to take a 3di of Interstate 4, but the state seems reluctant to put tolls on interstates.
Lots of states are wise to keep interstate shields off of toll roads, especially the newer ones that are built. And I think that in FL, the Sunshine Skyway on I-275 is the lone exception to the "no tolls on Interstates" rule.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NE2

Quote from: Henry on December 19, 2013, 02:49:21 PM
And I think that in FL, the Sunshine Skyway on I-275 is the lone exception to the "no tolls on Interstates" rule.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

formulanone

Don't forget the 12 miles of Express Lanes on I-95 in Miami-Dade county.

emory

Quote from: Henry on December 19, 2013, 02:49:21 PM
Quote from: emory on December 14, 2013, 06:59:45 AMSo it sounds like FDOT wants to drop all of current route 585. Maybe the connector can take that number. I sure would've liked it to take a 3di of Interstate 4, but the state seems reluctant to put tolls on interstates.
Lots of states are wise to keep interstate shields off of toll roads, especially the newer ones that are built. And I think that in FL, the Sunshine Skyway on I-275 is the lone exception to the "no tolls on Interstates" rule.

After posting I thought of the Skyway and Alligator Alley, but still, I don't see FDOT building any new tolled freeways and signing them as interstates.

realjd

There's a bill in the upcoming legislative session to allow FDOT to raise the speed limits on freeways to 75, dual carriageway highways to 70, and two lane roads to 65. Naturally, the usual suspects are all "omg speed kills".

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2013-12-19/news/os-group-opposes-higher-speed-limits-20131219_1_speed-limit-70-mph-5-mph-increase

roadman65

For 75 mph only parts of I-10 (mainly the Panhandle), Alligator Alley (I-75) and the Florida Turnpike (mainly from St. Cloud to Fort Pierce) to be 75 mph.

As far as 70 on four lane arterials go, only US 27 through the Everglades would qualify there and I doubt FDOT District 5 would let FL 528 west of I-95 be posted at 70 which is one of the other few roads that could qualify as a 70 zone for four lane non freeways.

If 65 was allowed on two lanes, only District 1 would go for it.  Some districts still will not let 60 mph prevail on their two lane roads.  The Panhandle is one with many two lane roads that could legally be 60 mph that are still 55 mph.  Districts 4 and 6 have no two lane roads over 55, and District 5 is very picky as I have only found FL 50 in Sumter County, FL 407 in Brevard County, and FL 60 in Osceola County to have 60 mph.  District 2 in NE FL is careful what roads they sign as they have plenty of two lane roads that qualify, but are most choosy on which one should be signed.

I think only the 75 would win on freeways out of em all.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

clef

Don't think I've seen one of these in Broward before...?

xcellntbuy

Wow, a state-named Interstate shield in Florida.  Rare as hen's teeth down here.  Last one I had seen for a long, long time was the very faded TO Interstate 95 shield on the Florida's Turnpike before the "exit" to the Homestead Extension.

NE2

They've been popping up on various projects in the past few years, perhaps due to contractors. For example, there's I-95 at SR 507 and SR 514 (?), and I-10 and I-95 on US 90 in Jax.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

clef

Quote from: NE2 on December 21, 2013, 07:32:35 PM
They've been popping up on various projects in the past few years, perhaps due to contractors. For example, there's I-95 at SR 507 and SR 514 (?), and I-10 and I-95 on US 90 in Jax.

Yes, I knew of one or two in Tallahassee a while back I don't think I've ever seen one in Broward before.

This one was in Tally in 2004:

formulanone

Found a state-named I-10 near FL 77 and US 90 in Chipley a few weeks ago. Clicked an I-75 variety at CRs 846/951. State-named 95s seem to be more common (still, 1 out of 50, it seems), but I've seen them scattered about the state...all of them I've seen were "TO" bannered, instead of along the interstates themselves (someone posted one example for I-4), and slightly/a few miles off the interstate.

Maybe 595 will get a bunch when all the work is finished...but the only one I know in Broward is at the intersection of Atlantic and Cypress Road in Pompano Beach, for I-95.

Alabama has spoiled me on this, since moving there; like Georgia, neutered non-overhead shields are the rare ones.

clef

Quote from: formulanone on December 23, 2013, 12:27:13 PM
Maybe 595 will get a bunch when all the work is finished...but the only one I know in Broward is at the intersection of Atlantic and Cypress Road in Pompano Beach, for I-95.

Yeah, that's the one I posted

realjd

Quote from: roadman65 on December 21, 2013, 10:59:17 AM
For 75 mph only parts of I-10 (mainly the Panhandle), Alligator Alley (I-75) and the Florida Turnpike (mainly from St. Cloud to Fort Pierce) to be 75 mph.

As far as 70 on four lane arterials go, only US 27 through the Everglades would qualify there and I doubt FDOT District 5 would let FL 528 west of I-95 be posted at 70 which is one of the other few roads that could qualify as a 70 zone for four lane non freeways.

If 65 was allowed on two lanes, only District 1 would go for it.  Some districts still will not let 60 mph prevail on their two lane roads.  The Panhandle is one with many two lane roads that could legally be 60 mph that are still 55 mph.  Districts 4 and 6 have no two lane roads over 55, and District 5 is very picky as I have only found FL 50 in Sumter County, FL 407 in Brevard County, and FL 60 in Osceola County to have 60 mph.  District 2 in NE FL is careful what roads they sign as they have plenty of two lane roads that qualify, but are most choosy on which one should be signed.

I think only the 75 would win on freeways out of em all.

Source please.

SR-528 west of I-95 is already signed at 70 and is a great candidate for 75, as are I-95 between Titusville and Daytona and between Palm Bay and Jupiter.

There are many more roads likely to be bumped from 65 to 70. Near us I immediately think of US-192 between Melbourne and St. Cloud, SR-520 west of I-95, and stretches of SR-50 west of I-95. All are high speed roads with few to no intersections.

The jump to 65 on two lane roads I agree is less likely, but there are plenty of other 2-lane roads in the Orlando vicinity that are already at 60. Many are county roads like Nova Road (CR-532) in Orange and Osceola Counties. A bunch of 2-lane the roads up in the Ocala National Forest are other good candidates for 65, as are the roads around Lake Okeechobee.

NE2

formulanone

Quote from: clef on December 23, 2013, 04:33:15 PM
Quote from: formulanone on December 23, 2013, 12:27:13 PM

Yeah, that's the one I posted

:biggrin: Oh right, there's the car wash!

Speaking of Pompano Beach, there's one seriously old street blade sign in the neighborhood just a bit north of there. Can't find the photo right now...

mefailenglish

Quote from: formulanone on December 23, 2013, 12:27:13 PMState-named 95s seem to be more common (still, 1 out of 50, it seems), but I've seen them scattered about the state...all of them I've seen were "TO" bannered, instead of along the interstates themselves (someone posted one example for I-4), and slightly/a few miles off the interstate.
I passed one yesterday in the rain heading southbound on 95, a bit north of the welcome center.

There used to be a state-named 75 on Miramar Parkway eastbound, but it was replaced with a neutered version when they "upgraded" the interchange with more traffic lights.

Brian556

clef

Quote from: formulanone on December 27, 2013, 05:52:53 PM
Speaking of Pompano Beach, there's one seriously old street blade sign in the neighborhood just a bit north of there. Can't find the photo right now...

Went over there today to find this. I saw a bunch of older green blades without the white border and thought maybe you were talking about one of them, until I spotted it :)

While I was cruising around I also saw a house with a not-as-old 12th street/Dixie sign in their... driveway. Didn't get a photo but here's the GSV

NE2

formulanone

Quote from: clef on December 29, 2013, 11:09:07 PM
Went over there today to find this. I saw a bunch of older green blades without the white border and thought maybe you were talking about one of them, until I spotted it :)

That's the one. Couldn't find it on my computer, for some reason.

Quote from: Brian556 on December 29, 2013, 10:01:11 PM
Check this out! A highway-style overhead sign assembly on the grounds of a FORD Dealership in Sanford.

There's something similar for this dealership outside West Palm Beach. Street View isn't much help, though.

emory

For the downtown Miami people, FDOT is doing a last round of maintenance on Brickell Avenue (US 1/FL 5) between US 41 and I-95 before they relinquish control to the city of Miami. In exchange, FDOT will adopt the following streets:

SE/SW 1st St from SW 2nd Ave to US 1 will join FL 968 eastbound*
NE/NW 1st St from NW 3rd Ave to US 1 will join FL 968 westbound*
NW 3rd Ave and NW 3rd Ct from FL 968 to the I-95 exit on NW 8th Street will be adopted as part of a new route number. Betting on 920-something.

*since there's no way they're getting Flagler Street back

Resolution passed last summer: http://egov.ci.miami.fl.us/Legistarweb/Attachments/71551.pdf

xcellntbuy

Quote from: formulanone on December 30, 2013, 12:06:22 PM
Quote from: clef on December 29, 2013, 11:09:07 PM

That's the one. Couldn't find it on my computer, for some reason.

Quote from: Brian556 on December 29, 2013, 10:01:11 PM
Check this out! A highway-style overhead sign assembly on the grounds of a FORD Dealership in Sanford.

There's something similar for this dealership outside West Palm Beach. Street View isn't much help, though.

The road signs at the dealership are similar to ones that used to be at AutoNation dealerships.  AutoNation had a dealership at Lyons Road and Sample Road in Coconut Creek, FL and another one in West Palm Beach, I believe near the Florida's Turnpike entrance.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.