News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Palm Coast, Florida is one city in the Sunshine State you definitely do not want to run a stop light unless you are willing to pay a fine.  That city has photo enforcement at ALL signalized intersections!  Even the ramps from I-95 to Palm Coast Parkway have added cameras, that are not signal related as one part of the ramp has cameras mounted about 50 feet apart about one third up the ramp. 

I am not sure of the latter, but it gives you something to think about when you enter Palm Coast, FL as "Big Brother" is watching your every move.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

emory

I left Florida in 2003. When I did there was an intersection in Bradenton that had two cameras on it. I returned to it years later to see there were at least eight.

NE2

Quote from: roadman65 on January 21, 2014, 12:27:28 PM
I am not sure of the latter, but it gives you something to think about when you enter Palm Coast, FL as "Big Brother" is watching your every move.
Only if you have teleports to eliminate the distance between traffic lights. And your big brother has the intelligence of a dead platypus.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

formulanone

Quote from: NE2 on January 21, 2014, 07:59:14 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 21, 2014, 12:27:28 PM
Only if you have teleports to eliminate the distance between traffic lights. And your big brother has the intelligence of a dead platypus.

Unfortunately, it died with its flipper permanently on the "Send Violation" button.

On a happier note, a couple of old Keys Shields:

And a state-named I-10 shield in Chipley:

florida

Nice find on the Keys 273! I think the only one I came across was a completely faded one.
So many roads...so little time.

emory

Well it makes sense to not include the keys. They are a separate nation after all.

agentsteel53

Quote from: clef on January 20, 2014, 05:14:15 PM

I think so, but I also think it was replaced recently

somewhere I have a picture of it from 2010.  always rare to see colored shields on green signs.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

formulanone

^ On that note, the red US 1 shields no longer hang on wire-suspended little green signs at Biscayne and the Port of Miami (FL 886). They were posted in this thread roughly 4 years ago.

mstgator

Quote from: emory on January 20, 2014, 09:36:06 PM
If a segment of a state road is relinquished and it's not a terminus, the city really should erect new trailblazer signs, or leave the signs up. FL 590 in Pinellas County had a piece turned over to Safety Harbor, so the city added "TO" and arrow signs onto the existing shields. Exceptions are understandable if the route is on a contiguous road that one can drive on without knowing they technically left the state route for a bit.

Unfortunately, there is no FL 590 signage remaining at the downtown intersection, so unaware drivers are likely miss the right turn from southbound Philippe Parkway onto westbound Main Street (and the left turn for eastbound to northbound).

emory

Quote from: mstgator on January 22, 2014, 08:39:07 PM
Quote from: emory on January 20, 2014, 09:36:06 PM
If a segment of a state road is relinquished and it's not a terminus, the city really should erect new trailblazer signs, or leave the signs up. FL 590 in Pinellas County had a piece turned over to Safety Harbor, so the city added "TO" and arrow signs onto the existing shields. Exceptions are understandable if the route is on a contiguous road that one can drive on without knowing they technically left the state route for a bit.

Unfortunately, there is no FL 590 signage remaining at the downtown intersection, so unaware drivers are likely miss the right turn from southbound Philippe Parkway onto westbound Main Street (and the left turn for eastbound to northbound).

I checked GSV and you're right. I only saw two trailblazers, one in each direction, both near where state maintenance ends. I should also clarify in that post I specifically mean when cities take over state roads. Counties often replace the state shields with blue pentagons and retain the route number.

Hey, new Straight Line Diagram interface: http://www2.dot.state.fl.us/straight-linesonlinegis/

NE2

Quote from: emory on January 24, 2014, 03:28:52 AM
Hey, new Straight Line Diagram interface: http://www2.dot.state.fl.us/straight-linesonlinegis/
Yeah, it's pretty much the old one with an optional map above. But it opens the SLD in a new window and reuses that window, so having more than one open at a time requires copying the URL and opening separately.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

FLRoads

Long-awaited flyover finally set to open in Casselberry

The two-lane flyover connecting south S.R. 436 (Semoran Boulevard) with eastbound Red Bug Lake Road is poised to open Saturday morning at 6 AM. Finishing touches on the project are anticipated to take up to six months. Construction began October 2011 on the $24.5 million project to alieviate congestion at the busy intersection, which sees an average of 65,000 vehicles daily.

emory

So the meeting went down, and it looks like the Brickell transfer is going to happen in Miami. If anyone's down there, keep your eyes peeled for signage changes. They'll have to get rid of all the Brickell Ave / US 1 overhead signs. I'm curious if they're going to sign it as US 1 Business.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: emory on January 31, 2014, 05:00:22 PM
I'm curious if they're going to sign it as US 1 Business.

Highly unlikely since they didn't request approval from the AASHTO for a US 1 Business in that area.

emory

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on February 01, 2014, 01:15:27 AM

Highly unlikely since they didn't request approval from the AASHTO for a US 1 Business in that area.

Do you have to if it's a locally maintained business route?

rickmastfan67

Quote from: emory on February 01, 2014, 01:51:38 AM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on February 01, 2014, 01:15:27 AM

Do you have to if it's a locally maintained business route?

It should since it's using the US shield.  But there are some places (not in Florida) that have some cities just sign routes this way.

But I don't think Miami would be one of them.  They want to get the traffic off that road by removing US-1 from it.  I don't think they would be willing to put up Business US-1 shields after taking control of it.

emory

Good point. Looks like it's destined to be simply Brickell Avenue. Besides, I see a lot of business US routes in Florida are still under state maintenance. I would think FDOT would want to get rid of those.

NE2

Quote from: emory on February 02, 2014, 09:53:53 PM
Besides, I see a lot of business US routes in Florida are still under state maintenance. I would think FDOT would want to get rid of those.
AFAIK all of them are state maintained except US 1 Business north of SR 16.

Maybe Brickell will become U.S. Bike Route 1, though they'll probably end up following the M-Path.

NE2

What non-freeways have ordinary mileposts? I've seen them on:
*Overseas Highway, measured from the end in Key West (duh)
*Tamiami Trail east of Naples, measured from the end at US 1
*US 27 south of South Bay, measured from the end at US 1
*SR 80 west of West Palm, measured from SR 15 (not the end)
*SR 85 south of Crestview, measured from the end at US 98

realjd

Quote from: NE2 on February 06, 2014, 03:23:37 AM
What non-freeways have ordinary mileposts? I've seen them on:
*Overseas Highway, measured from the end in Key West (duh)
*Tamiami Trail east of Naples, measured from the end at US 1
*US 27 south of South Bay, measured from the end at US 1
*SR 80 west of West Palm, measured from SR 15 (not the end)
*SR 85 south of Crestview, measured from the end at US 98

Do SR-60 and SR-70 have mile markers between the east and west coast?

Also:
* SR-60 Courtney Campbell Causeway

Do any other non-freeway bridges have mile markers?

Oh, don't forget the giant purple mile markers along US-192 through Kissimmee :)

NE2

Quote from: realjd on February 06, 2014, 09:52:37 AM
Do SR-60 and SR-70 have mile markers between the east and west coast?
SR 60 doesn't, unless there are some between Lake Wales and Yeehaw. (And yes, I had forgotten about the Campbell Causeway.)

The Rickenbacker Causeway (SR/CR 913) also has them, measured from the state park at the south end of Key Biscayne.

The US 192 ones are bogus, as they don't actually measure miles.

mefailenglish

Quote from: NE2 on February 06, 2014, 03:23:37 AM
What non-freeways have ordinary mileposts?
Miami-Dade has been adding them to FL 997/Krome Ave. 

formulanone

How recent is that? I've only seen shields on the Turnpike and I-75 mile markers.

D-Dey65

Quote from: formulanone on February 06, 2014, 06:18:08 PM
How recent is that? I've only seen shields on the Turnpike and I-75 mile markers.
Oh, they've been on the Suncoast Parkway too.

NE2

The FDOT Video Log now has full-size images. Example:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.