News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

http://maps.ocpafl.org/webmap/ has new 2014 aerials. New construction visible includes:
*first two ramps of the FLTP/SR 417 interchange
*OIA southern entrance
*SR 434 extension to SR 423
*Wekiva Parkway at CR 435
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

emory

http://plantcityobserver.com/2014/01/30/city-unveils-first-glimpse-redesigned-collins-street/

This article says that all of old SR 39 from Alexander Street to Knights-Griffin Road is being transferred to Plant City, but it doesn't look like the bypass goes that far. Unless they're planning to finish it and I'm just not aware.

FLRoads

Construction Begins on Gandy Boulevard in Pinellas County

QuoteFDOT is set to begin construction on an $83 million project to improve east/west traffic flow in Pinellas County along Gandy Boulevard from 4th Street to I-275. The existing roadway will be transformed to an elevated six-lane facility from I-275 to MLK Jr. Street and four lanes from MLK Jr St. to east of 4th Street. Overpasses will be built at 94th Avenue, MLK Jr. Street, Roosevelt Boulevard, and 4th Street. A frontage road system will parallel the mainline roadway.

QuoteFDOT will host a construction open house this Summer 2014 to present more information about the project to the public. The project is slated for completion in 2017.

NE2

Seems like a freeway along Roosevelt would make more sense, tying into the planned SR 690.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

realjd

OOCEA is finally getting rid of the terrible airport toll plaza on the 528. It's the last major non-ORT plaza in Orlando and a traffic headache. They'll be collecting their toll at the FDOT plaza just down the road instead.

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/beachline-toll-change-near-airport-long-overdue-ex/ndCy7/

NE2

Quote from: realjd on February 28, 2014, 06:39:06 AM
OOCEA is finally getting rid of the terrible airport toll plaza on the 528. It's the last major non-ORT plaza in Orlando and a traffic headache. They'll be collecting their toll at the FDOT plaza just down the road instead.

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/beachline-toll-change-near-airport-long-overdue-ex/ndCy7/

Cool, Oklahoma-style rebates for those getting on westbound at Boggy Creek.

realjd

Quote from: NE2 on February 28, 2014, 11:28:36 AM
Quote from: realjd on February 28, 2014, 06:39:06 AM

Cool, Oklahoma-style rebates for those getting on westbound at Boggy Creek.

I completely missed that. I'm surprised they're actually doing that and not just pocketing the extra cash.

Brian556

What current intersection is this?
I think both of these are the same intersection.

NE2

The intersection of SR 19 and CR Old 441. (And SR 500A.)

Those old 441 shields are cool.

Brian556

emory

Interesting how they chose to go with those unique OLD 441 designs and not the brown Historic signs that are used around the country.

formulanone

Seems that any "bannered" routes were inversely-colored, when compared to the colors of the original route. Although, I don't think I'd ever seen "OLD" Kodachrome shields before (just ALT and BUSINESS). Mount Dora/Tavares has had the county pentagons for that route since the mid-1990s.

Heh, it wasn't until I'd joined the forum that I'd realized the brown color was the original...most of them had faded to a burgundy tint when I was first driving about.

Stephane Dumas

The once proposed extension of FL Tpk/FL-91 northwest of I-75 is revived under the name of Nature Coast Parkway
http://www.floridasturnpike.com/downloads/Future%20Projects/Nature%20Coast%20Parkway%20ver%2012-10-13.pdf

NE2

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on March 02, 2014, 06:15:38 PM
The once proposed extension of FL Tpk/FL-91 northwest of I-75 is revived under the name of Nature Coast Parkway
http://www.floridasturnpike.com/downloads/Future%20Projects/Nature%20Coast%20Parkway%20ver%2012-10-13.pdf
The section south of CR 484 is clearly wasteful compared to widening I-75 and beginning it at I-75 north of CR 484. The latter option would also provide a route between Alaenlande State Forest and Ocala.

roadman65

SR 39 is now open in Plant City.  However south of I-4 its still signed as SR 39A and not SR 39.  The north end of the new bypass, has it defaulting onto the original SR 39 (now CR 39) so its continuous.  The old alignment is interrupted at the place where the old and new meet just south of Knights- Griffin Road while the Alexander Street Extension is free flowing into Buchman Highway.

I drove it today and it was nice.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

emory

I'm surprised the state didn't just keep that small segment of old SR 39 so it would link the two, now broken, segments.

florida

I just saw that SR 594 is signed for one whole block including an 'End East SR 594' setup. Plus, there is an 'End South SR 687' setup in the same area.
So many roads...so little time.

emory

Has anyone driven on SR 582 / Tarpon Ave in Tarpon Springs lately? Its listing on FDOT's state road maps has disappeared and there's no more straight line diagram for it, so I was wondering if it was still on the SHS.

NE2

Quote from: emory on March 03, 2014, 04:10:11 AM
Has anyone driven on SR 582 / Tarpon Ave in Tarpon Springs lately? Its listing on FDOT's state road maps has disappeared and there's no more straight line diagram for it, so I was wondering if it was still on the SHS.
http://ctsfl.us/CityClerk/Minutes2011/06212011RS%20.pdf p. 10
http://suncoastnews.com/news/news/2011/jun/23/PINEWSO8-state-gives-city-control-of-tarpon-avenue-ar-239034/

emory

Cool. GSV's images of that street haven't been updated since 2011.

cpzilliacus

WLRN Public Radio: Trying To Free Up 95 Express, FDOT Prices 'Lexus Lanes' At Lamborghini Rates

Quote"Lexus lanes"  may have been too cheap for Miami. This past Saturday morning, South Florida drivers traded in for "Lamborghini lanes."

QuoteThe maximum possible toll on the 95 Express lanes increased from $7.00 to $10.50 – the mininum has doubled to 50 cents – in response to record numbers of motorists forking over what was thought to be a discouragingly high amount of money.

Quote"That day you paid seven bucks, we were trying to get you not to go there,"  said Rory Santana, who oversees Miami-Dade County's stretch of 95 Express for the Florida Department of Transportation.

QuoteIndeed, the goal of the 95 Express' dynamic tolling increase is simple: keep the fast lanes fast by limiting the number of motorists. That glowing toll amount has nothing to do with how good or how bad traffic is in the non-express lanes.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

formulanone

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 03, 2014, 10:56:00 AM
WLRN Public Radio: Trying To Free Up 95 Express, FDOT Prices 'Lexus Lanes' At Lamborghini Rates

Quote"Lexus lanes" may have been too cheap for Miami. This past Saturday morning, South Florida drivers traded in for "Lamborghini lanes."

QuoteThe maximum possible toll on the 95 Express lanes increased from $7.00 to $10.50 — the mininum has doubled to 50 cents — in response to record numbers of motorists forking over what was thought to be a discouragingly high amount of money.

Most I've seen was $4.50...most mid-mornings I've used them (7:00-8:00 am or so) they're in the threes. Even at around $3.00, you start to wonder if you'd like to endure the parking lot on the right of the tolled lanes. There aren't that many users, compared to the other lanes at that price point, from my experience. The Express stretch doesn't permit any weaving - from Golden Glades to I-195/FL 112 there's no exiting it; so drivers taking some of the other exits in between aren't going to use it.

Under a dollar, it's usually quite easy-going; like this afternoon. No need to pay the 75 cents.

But ten bucks for twelve miles? They can kiss my ass, at that point.

realjd

I always pay, mainly because I get to avoid the Golden Glades interchange and also because there's no speed enforcement in the express lanes. Even when the toll is 25c and I know the main lanes are clear, it's worth the quarter IMO.

Highest I've seen was $5.50.

formulanone

I don't get the business model...charge more because too many drivers are already using (and paying) it? Somehow, they want less folks using it? While I get the idea of supply-and-demand, it's based on how dense the traffic is in the four lanes to the right...if it's not moving at all, or you foresee that it's not worth the hassle of taking 30-40 minutes instead of 8-10, what does FDOT want from it?

Use the money to build reversible lanes, if they're so adamant about the pricing model. Of course, that brings about another five years of demolition, construction, constricted traffic flow, and toll revenues...

realjd

Quote from: formulanone on March 03, 2014, 08:35:28 PM
I don't get the business model...charge more because too many drivers are already using (and paying) it? Somehow, they want less folks using it? While I get the idea of supply-and-demand, it's based on how dense the traffic is in the four lanes to the right...if it's not moving at all, or you foresee that it's not worth the hassle of taking 30-40 minutes instead of 8-10, what does FDOT want from it?

Use the money to build reversible lanes, if they're so adamant about the pricing model. Of course, that brings about another five years of demolition, construction, constricted traffic flow, and toll revenues...

It's not a "business model" in the sense that they're looking to turn a profit. They're using the tolls to regulate demand on the express lanes so they don't get over capacity. Prices aren't directly set based on traffic in the other four lanes; rather, they're set based on demand for the toll lanes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.