News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: Gordon on December 05, 2018, 08:21:17 PM
Missouri has Awarded the Building removal job for future I49 last segment today and ARDOT has one project on going to build additional lanes on the Bella Vista Bypass. With ARDOT has 2 projects to finish their part and MODOT has the final project to finish their part I believe there is a good Situation to get the Build Grant from Federal Transportation. Senator Tom Cotton is also helping. They have until December 18 to award the grants. Lets hope the do nothing congress funds the upcoming funding gap so it doesn't get delayed.

Hopefully, but I'm not holding my breath.  Arkansas is basically a "fly over" state so we're often low on the list of priorities... especially since John Paul Hammerschmidt retired from the House.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Wayward Memphian

US71

mvak36

Quote from: US71 on December 06, 2018, 05:21:24 PM
Quote from: Wayward Memphian on December 06, 2018, 05:14:32 PM
Grant approved!

https://www.nwahomepage.com/news/fox-24/-25-million-grant-awarded-to-complete-arkansas-missouri-i-49-connection_/1643707068?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_FOX24_News
Heck yeah. That's great news.

EDIT: https://www.joplinglobe.com/news/interstate-project-gets-million-boost-from-federal-grant/article_0d426cc4-f9a5-11e8-be48-57955c14520d.html
QuoteTransportation departments from Missouri and Arkansas have been working on completing this project for about 25 years. according to the press release. An engineer with MoDOT's Southwest District said in June that if the full $25 million was awarded, then state officials could propose to begin working on the project in 2021 or 2022.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

O Tamandua

US71

According to ARDOT, this money will be used to complete the Missouri segment since the Arkansas portion is already funded.

intelati49

:clap: :coffee: :clap:

Just in time, 25 years later. Haha

GreenLanternCorps

The Ghostbuster

That was a great scene from Ghostbusters II (1989). I am a Ghostbusters fanatic, which is why my profile is titled The Ghostbuster.

csw

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 07, 2018, 04:06:07 PM
That was a great scene from Ghostbusters II (1989). I am a Ghostbusters fanatic, which is why my profile is titled The Ghostbuster.

This was a great post from The Ghostbuster (12/7/2018, 04:06:06 PM). I am a great post fanatic, which is why you must really be great at parties.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: csw on December 07, 2018, 05:32:21 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 07, 2018, 04:06:07 PM

This was a great post from The Ghostbuster (12/7/2018, 04:06:06 PM). I am a great post fanatic, which is why you must really be great at parties.
What are you supposed to be? The post master? You know everything there is to know about posts? August 12th, 2023(exact time to the hour:minute unknown). A thread about the revival of the 710 tunnel in the Pacific Southwest section. Mark it down.

US71

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on December 07, 2018, 02:10:36 PM
Quote from: intelati49 on December 06, 2018, 07:27:03 PM
:clap: :coffee: :clap:

Just in time, 25 years later. Haha

Better late than never...

"Better never late" as my friend Thomas used to say  :spin: :pan:

Gordon

Here is a quote from Bennett. "Now that Missouri DOT has the money to fund its portion of the bypass, we can now begin to schedule the remaining components here in Arkansas," said Scott Bennett, the director of the Arkansas Department of Transportation. "And that will happen quickly because we already have the money provided by the voter-approved Connecting Arkansas Program."
Also I read where a Missouri engineer said that they would have to update the environmental part and that would take a year or less. So Maybe it can still be done in a few years.

US71

Quote from: Gordon on December 08, 2018, 07:06:13 PM
Here is a quote from Bennett. "Now that Missouri DOT has the money to fund its portion of the bypass, we can now begin to schedule the remaining components here in Arkansas," said Scott Bennett, the director of the Arkansas Department of Transportation. "And that will happen quickly because we already have the money provided by the voter-approved Connecting Arkansas Program."
Also I read where a Missouri engineer said that they would have to update the environmental part and that would take a year or less. So Maybe it can still be done in a few years.

On Twitter, ARDOT said 2022/2023 for completion

abqtraveler

Quote from: US71 on December 08, 2018, 09:24:53 PM
Quote from: Gordon on December 08, 2018, 07:06:13 PM

On Twitter, ARDOT said 2022/2023 for completion

If that's the case, I suspect that MoDOT and ArDOT both have construction contracts ready to let out for bidding?
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

US71

A brief update on the I-49 sign upgrades:

A contractor for ARDOT is currently installing new sign posts and post footings. Also along I-40 at I-49.

In the Lowell area. the median barrier has been removed in places to make way for installing new gantry signposts.

I doubt the new signs will start to be posted until at least January.

Gordon

The build projects for Arkansas are on the US department of transportation now. I49 Missouri project and Arkansas projects are figured to cost a total of $134,516,665.00.  https://www.transportation.gov/sites/dot.gov/files/docs/policy-initiatives/327856/build-fact-sheets-121118-355pm-update.pdf

GreenLanternCorps

So to complete AR 549/Future I-49 in Northwest Arkansas, the following needs to be done:

1. Add second lane to AR 549/Future I-49 from I-49/US 71 roundabout to Rocky Dell Hollow Road.  (in progress)

2. Complete AR 549/I-49/US 71/N. Walton Blvd interchange

3. Complete Rocky Dell Hollow Road interchange and Extend four lanes of Future I-49 to Missouri State Line.

4. Wait for Missouri to finish it's part.

Am I missing anything?

O Tamandua

I'm hearing from a Bella Vista source that Walmart has purchased land at the Rocky Dell Road (also was the old "Gun Range Road") interchange for a Neighborhood Market.  Given that WM builds these only when they're surrounded by neighborhoods, they clearly see this as a hot growth spot.  And again, can't wait to see what will indubitably be a "Texarkana-class" Arkansas Welcome Center near there, although that won't be at an interchange.

MikieTimT

Quote from: O Tamandua on December 12, 2018, 01:54:38 PM
I'm hearing from a Bella Vista source that Walmart has purchased land at the Rocky Dell Road (also was the old "Gun Range Road") interchange for a Neighborhood Market.  Given that WM builds these only when they're surrounded by neighborhoods, they clearly see this as a hot growth spot.  And again, can't wait to see what will indubitably be a "Texarkana-class" Arkansas Welcome Center near there, although that won't be at an interchange.

There's a need for more services on the west side of Bella Vista for sure as most are concentrated along 71B currently.  And Highlands Blvd. is pretty close to there, so there will be a ready supply of traffic for that exit even without the eminent buildup of that area.

Tomahawkin

OT I think the stretch of 49 from From Smith to Texarkana might be done the same way IH 22 was done in Alabama. That took nearly 20 years to do 100 miles. Even though about 20-30 miles outside of Birmingham is 6 lanes which I love, but the 22/65 interchange took 5-7 years...

US71

Quote from: MikieTimT on December 12, 2018, 02:01:56 PM
Quote from: O Tamandua on December 12, 2018, 01:54:38 PM

There's a need for more services on the west side of Bella Vista for sure as most are concentrated along 71B currently.  And Highlands Blvd. is pretty close to there, so there will be a ready supply of traffic for that exit even without the eminent buildup of that area.

But it's a pain in the tukus to go from I-49 over to Highlands Blvd. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the big players like Love's were already scouting out the area or even quietly buying land.

bugo

bugo

Quote from: Tomahawkin on December 12, 2018, 07:34:38 PM
OT I think the stretch of 49 from From Smith to Texarkana might be done the same way IH 22 was done in Alabama. That took nearly 20 years to do 100 miles. Even though about 20-30 miles outside of Birmingham is 6 lanes which I love, but the 22/65 interchange took 5-7 years...
Is I-22 ever going to be extended to US 31?

Tomahawkin

I don't think so. Not in the next 5 years. I would love another way to bypass Birmingham.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.