News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

How many counties/parishes have you lived in?

Started by golden eagle, July 22, 2015, 12:12:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

1. Oklahoma, OK
2. McClain, OK
3. Greene, MO
4. Cleveland, OK
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

doorknob60

Chronologically:
1. Washington, OR
2. Yakima, WA
3. Clark, WA
4. Lane, OR
5. Benton, WA
6. Deschutes, OR
7. Canyon, ID
8. Clatsop, OR (only a couple months a year now but worth mentioning)

akotchi

Lancaster County, PA (until 1980)
Anne Arundel County, MD (1980 - 1985)
Queen Anne County, MD (1985 - 1987)
Centre County, PA (1983 - 1987, college years)
Bucks County, PA (since 1987)
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

maplestar

Roughly in order of amount of time lived in each place.
Longer than a year:
Renfrew, ON - three different times
Portsmouth (City), VA
Virginia Beach (City), VA
Kingston (City), ON - was Frontenac County at the time
Ottawa (City), ON - was Regional Municipality of Ottawa-Carleton at the time, previously Carleton County

Other places where I lived for short periods of time:
Cochrane (District), ON
Thunder Bay (District), ON

Never "lived" here, but stayed for more than a month:
Chautauqua, NY

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on July 22, 2015, 11:42:05 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus1. District of Columbia (until I was 1 year old)

Does that mean you're actually DC-born?

Yes, I am more District of Columbia than the late former D.C. Mayor-for-Life Marion Shepilov Barry, Jr. ever was (of course, if I had been asked, I would have preferred to be born in some other jurisdiction ;-) ). 

I have no memory of living in D.C., since we moved to Montgomery County, Maryland near an early part of the Circumferential Highway as it was being built when I was just over 1 year old, and became a roadgeek as a result.

The D.C. Government, in those days under the absolute and colonial control of Congress was one of the reasons we moved out of the District (some people have claimed it was better-run under the D.C. Commissioners (who had operational control of the city), I believe that to be incorrect, based on what my Dad has told me).

Though I care not to dwell on having been born in D.C., since I have no intention of ever living there again. 

Getting an official copy of a birth certificate is a slow and painful process in D.C.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Eth

Somewhere between 6 and 8, depending on how you count.

Actual legal residences, in alphabetical order (by state first):
Bartow, GA
Clayton, GA
DeKalb, GA
Henry, GA
Rockdale, GA
Montgomery, MD

De facto residence as a college student:
Fulton, GA

Not, strictly speaking, a resident, but remained within its confines for an uninterrupted period greater than one month:
Lowndes, GA

vtk

Incarceration would count as official residence in a place, right?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Doctor Whom

Four counties and three county-equivalents.

The counties: San Diego, CA; Montgomery, MD; Mercer, NJ; Washtenaw, MI.

The county-equivalents: Baltimore City, MD; DC; Alexandria, VA.

kkt

Calif.
------
Alemeda
Yolo
Santa Clara
Santa Cruz

Washington
-------------
King

1995hoo

If you count time spent at a university or working somewhere with the prospect of it becoming a permanent job as living in a county, then I've lived in five:

Coryell County, Texas (born there, lived there about a year)
Fairfax County, Virginia (moved here when I was 1, still live here)
Albemarle County, Virginia (four years as an undergrad–most of the University of Virginia's Grounds are in the county, rather than the City of Charlottesville, and that includes all the university-owned buildings where I lived)
Durham County, North Carolina (three years living on Duke's Central Campus)
Montgomery County, Alabama (three months in the summer of 1997; the job opportunity didn't pan out long-term, but in retrospect that's probably for the best).

I distinguish between Montgomery and other places where I might have spent some duration of time on business trips (such as a month-long trip to Princeton, New Jersey) because the business trips were always inherently temporary and because they involved staying at a hotel, whereas the job in Montgomery had the possibility of becoming permanent after I graduated and I lived in a rented townhouse. That sort of reasoning is why I can understand some people not wanting to count where you attended a university, applying the theory that most students maintain their parents' address as their "permanent" address. I count university addresses just because you spend so much of your time there when you're a student. To me it always felt like I was "home" at either end of the drive. I think in some ways Duke may have felt more like "home" than UVA did simply because as an undergrad I returned to Fairfax County each summer, whereas in law school I did not (stayed in my apartment at Duke the first summer and worked in Raleigh; worked in Montgomery the second summer).

While I spent a lot of time in Kings County, New York, over the years visiting my late grandparents, I would not consider it a place I ever "lived" because I never stayed longer than a week to ten days at any one time.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Duke87

Quote from: froggie on July 22, 2015, 11:42:05 AM
QuoteI'm surprised this group hasn't moved around more.

I'm not.  Most people tend to stay in the same general geographic area during their lifetime.  I'm an outlier, but that's a combination of my parents' early career field (food/hotel industry) and my own career (20 years in the Navy).

The fact that roadgeeks as a subset of the population lean more towards introverted than extroverted also no doubt skews things. Relocating to a place far away from one's current core group of friends/family means having to basically rebuild a social life from scratch. People I know who have significantly relocated usually either are the outgoing type who can make new friends easily, or had to relocate due to circumstances beyond their control.

For me personally, the matter is summed up well by Ernie:

Just about everywhere far from home I've traveled, no matter how fascinating I've found it, I've also thought "man, imagine what it must be like to live here... it must suck".

To that point, I have called three counties home:
Bronx, NY (1987-1990, 2005-2009)
Fairfield, CT (1990-2005, 2009-2011)
Queens, NY (2011-present)

All within the NYC metro area... which I just don't see myself moving away from anytime soon. Maybe when I retire. I could totally see myself retiring to some old Pennsylvania coal town, although I say that based on how they are now. Who knows what they'll look like in 40 years.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

allniter89

Quote from: DTComposer on July 22, 2015, 02:06:30 AM
Only four, all in California, none for less than seven years:

Sacramento, Santa Clara, Santa Barbara, Los Angeles, now back in Santa Clara.

It would be interesting to see who has lived in the most distant counties/parishes from each other (someone who has lived in, say North Slope, AK and Monroe, FL might win).

12 Chronologically:

1-Hampden, MA specifically Chicopee Falls
2-Charleston, SC  specifically Charleston
3-St Clair, MI specifically Anchorville
4-Champaign, IL specifically Rantoul
7,405 miles between #4 & 5  :wave:
5-Guam specifically Agana 
7,456 miles between #5 & 6  :wave:
6-Kent, DE (twice) specifically Dover AFB, Dover, Frederica, Little Heaven, Magnolia, Woodside (we were hiding from the law  :-D). I consider Kent Co home no matter where I'm living
7-Anchorage, AK specifically Anchorage
8-Greene, OH specifically Fairborn
9-Cumberland, NC specifically Fayetteville 82nd Airborn!!!!
10-Broward, FL specifically Ft Lauderdale hated it!!!
11-Chuchill, NV specifically Fallon NAS... I join the Navy & they send me to NV???  :banghead:
12-Okaloosa, FL specifically Ft Walton Beach, Destin, Shalimar, Crestview
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

ce929wax

Since Birth and in Chronological order:
1.  Allegan, MI (1985-1986)
2. Lake, IL (1986)
3. Ottawa, MI (1986)
4. Charleston, SC (1986-87)
5. Allegan/Ottawa, MI (1987-1997; split time between my mom and dad.  Mom lived in Allegan, Dad lived in Ottawa)
6. Orange, CA (1997-98)
7. Eddy, NM (1998-99)
8. East Baton Rouge, LA (1999-2000)
9. Ellis, TX (2000-2008)
10. Dallas, TX (2008)
11. Union, TN (2008-2009)
12. Knox, TN (2009)
13. Blount, TN (2009)
14. Union, TN (2009-13)
15. Allegan, MI (2013)
16. Kalamazoo, MI (2013)
17. Allegan, MI (2013-14)
18. Kalamazoo, MI (2014-Present)

slorydn1

Quote from: ce929wax on July 31, 2015, 11:32:29 AM
Since Birth and in Chronological order:
1.  Allegan, MI (1985-1986)
2. Lake, IL (1986)
3. Ottawa, MI (1986)
4. Charleston, SC (1986-87)
5. Allegan/Ottawa, MI (1987-1997; split time between my mom and dad.  Mom lived in Allegan, Dad lived in Ottawa)
6. Orange, CA (1997-98)
7. Eddy, NM (1998-99)
8. East Baton Rouge, LA (1999-2000)
9. Ellis, TX (2000-2008)
10. Dallas, TX (2008)
11. Union, TN (2008-2009)
12. Knox, TN (2009)
13. Blount, TN (2009)
14. Union, TN (2009-13)
15. Allegan, MI (2013)
16. Kalamazoo, MI (2013)
17. Allegan, MI (2013-14)
18. Kalamazoo, MI (2014-Present)

I gotta ask: Where at when ya lived in Ottawa County? When I was really young I lived on Greendale Dr in Jenison (1971-1979).
Oh and when I lived in Kalamazoo County it was in Comstock Park over on ML Ave from birth to 1971.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

hm insulators

Just three counties: Los Angeles County, Kauai County (Hawaii) and Maricopa County (Phoenix)
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

sandwalk

Only 6 counties for me (in order):

Erie, Ohio
DeKalb, Illinois
Boone,  Illinois
Winnebago, Illinois
Arapahoe, Colorado
Denver, Colorado

ce929wax

Quote from: slorydn1 on July 31, 2015, 12:01:07 PMI gotta ask: Where at when ya lived in Ottawa County? When I was really young I lived on Greendale Dr in Jenison (1971-1979).
Oh and when I lived in Kalamazoo County it was in Comstock Park over on ML Ave from birth to 1971.

Sorry it took me so long to answer, I only peek in here every so often.

When I lived in Ottawa County (on the weekends with my Dad) I stayed at my grandparents house at first which was on Beechwood Drive in Holland, just off of 160th Ave, just over the Allegan County Line.  Then he lived in Ottogan Estates, off Ottogan Dr, again just over the county line or I would stay with my grandparents in Maplewood Estates (IIRC) on Hillcrest Drive in Zeeland.

Now, I live two streets over from Borgess off of Gull Road, in Kalamazoo.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Les Collines-de-l'Outaouais MRC (municipalité régionale de comté), PQ (The hills of the Outaouais regional county municipality for us dirty anglophones. Damn frenchies have to make everything so complicated - a normal person would just call it the Gatineaus.)

Franklin County, VT
Putnam County, NYS
Dutchess County, NYS

iPad

noelbotevera

I am going to repost and shake stuff up a little.

Job openings where I (my family) had to live for a little bit:
New York County, New York (2009, 2010, cannot remember)
North Holland Province, Netherlands (Amsterdam, and Provinces are like counties) (2005)

Living with relatives:
Queens County, New York (2009, 2015)
Natrona County, Wyoming (Casper) (2004, 2005, I can't remember)
Middlesex County, New Jersey (Metuchen) (2013)

Permanent Addresses:
Robeson County, North Carolina (Lumberton) (2004-2006)
Franklin County, Pennsylvania (2006-) (Chambersburg)
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Laura

I've lived in four counties.

Harford County, MD (1987-2005; 2009-2012)
Lynchburg City County, VA (2005-2009)
Baltimore City County, MD (2012-2013; 2015-present)
Baltimore County, MD (2013-2015)

iPhone

CNGL-Leudimin

By U.S. standards none of them :sombrero:.

It would be hard to 'translate' this into Spanish standards, but I would have only one anyway.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

slorydn1

Quote from: ce929wax on August 07, 2015, 09:50:47 PM
Quote from: slorydn1 on July 31, 2015, 12:01:07 PMI gotta ask: Where at when ya lived in Ottawa County? When I was really young I lived on Greendale Dr in Jenison (1971-1979).

Sorry it took me so long to answer, I only peek in here every so often.

When I lived in Ottawa County (on the weekends with my Dad) I stayed at my grandparents house at first which was on Beechwood Drive in Holland, just off of 160th Ave, just over the Allegan County Line.  Then he lived in Ottogan Estates, off Ottogan Dr, again just over the county line or I would stay with my grandparents in Maplewood Estates (IIRC) on Hillcrest Drive in Zeeland.

Now, I live two streets over from Borgess off of Gull Road, in Kalamazoo.

Cool, wow small world isn't it.  Man since you actually live there you don't have to put up with it but whenever someone around here asks me where I was born and I reply Kalamazoo, I always hear back "well I was born in a hospital". <facepalm> So was I, Bronson Hospital to be exact, but it's usually too late by then.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

ce929wax

I was born at Allegan General Hospital in October of 1985.

I never really get the smart comments when I mention Kalamazoo, I don't know if it is because most people have heard of it by now.  I take that back, there was one girl I was talking from Oregon that asked me what kind of name that was for a city.  I asked her what kind of name Multnomah was.

sipes23

Without being an armed forces person:

Kane, IL
Ogle, IL
Winnebago, IL
El Paso, CO
Cumberland, ME
York, ME
Delta, MI
Cook, IL
McHenry, IL
Natrona, WY

So that's 10 counties in 5 states.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.