News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

1987 Rand McNally atlas: Oklahoma

Started by bugo, September 12, 2012, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

I was looking through my atlas collection and found a 1987 edition.  Here are some highlights from the state of Oklahoma:

- OK 3 shown following what is now the OK 152 freeway from I-44 to Mac Arthur, then following Mac Arthur to the Northwest Highway where it meets its current routing.  OK 3A shown running from NW Hwy/Mac Arthur to I-44.

- OK 77H shown following Sunnylane Road north to Reno, where it turned west, ending at US 77 (Lincoln Blvd, which is shown as US 77.)  I-40 is shown having 3 interchanges with 77H.

- US 77 shown following Lincoln Blvd through the capitol grounds.  Broadway Extension is shown as being complete from I-44 south to 23rd Street.  I assume it was unnumbered at the time (or was it?)

- US 169 ends at 51st Street.

- Riverside Expressway shown as an U/C freeway south of I-44.  This road was built as a divided arterial with no interchanges except at I-44.

- OK 117 follows 71st and Peoria between US 75 and I-44.

- OK 33 shown following I-44 between the end of the Turner Turnpike to Cherokee Curve.

- No US 412.

- OK 11/Gilcrease Expressway freeway shown ending at Sheridan Rd, and turning into a surface street, Apache.

- OK 7 runs along Lee Blvd and 82nd Street in Lawton.  Sheridan Rd is shown as OK 7A.

- OK 2 marker shown along OK 11 between Tulsa and Pawhuska.  This is almost certainly a mapo, or a copyright trap.

- No Creek, Kilpatrick, Cherokee, or Chickasaw Turnpikes.

- US 66 decommissioned. 

- US 169 freeway ends at Owasso.

- US 75 freeway ends at OK 20.  US 75 north of OK 20 is shown as a 2 lane highway.

- OK 63 shown as split route.  Portion between Talihina and Haileyville shown as OK 1.

- Erick business loop shown as Bus OK 30.  El Reno loop shown as Bus OK 40.

- OK 66 east of El Reno shown as OK 1/OK 66 duplex.  This road hasn't been OK 1 for many years.

rte66man

Quote from: bugo on September 12, 2012, 12:36:05 PM
I was looking through my atlas collection and found a 1987 edition.  Here are some highlights from the state of Oklahoma:

(1) - OK 3 shown following what is now the OK 152 freeway from I-44 to Mac Arthur, then following Mac Arthur to the Northwest Highway where it meets its current routing.  OK 3A shown running from NW Hwy/Mac Arthur to I-44.

(2) - US 77 shown following Lincoln Blvd through the capitol grounds.  Broadway Extension is shown as being complete from I-44 south to 23rd Street.  I assume it was unnumbered at the time (or was it?)

(3) - US 169 ends at 51st Street.

(4) - Riverside Expressway shown as an U/C freeway south of I-44.  This road was built as a divided arterial with no interchanges except at I-44.

(5) - OK 33 shown following I-44 between the end of the Turner Turnpike to Cherokee Curve.

(6) - OK 11/Gilcrease Expressway freeway shown ending at Sheridan Rd, and turning into a surface street, Apache.

(7) - US 66 decommissioned. 

(8a) - US 75 freeway ends at OK 20.  US 75 north of OK 20 is shown as a 2 lane highway.

(1) - that routing supposedly happened so OKC/Bethany/Warr Acres could get State $$$ to widen MacArthur from 2 to 4 lanes.  Don't know if that's true, but I live on MacArthur and can attest that the State deeded the street and ROW to each city when the OK3 designation was moved.

(2) - Lincoln to Reno to Shields (EK Gaylord). I thought it was all moved at the same time as it should have run south on Shields to I35 in Moore.  It is interesting that ODOT is still responsible for the maintenance on Lincoln.

(3) - it took a long time to get the funds together for it to go south, then west.  As you know, they had to bring OTA into the picture, hence the Creek Turnpike.  Even thouogh the proposed route had been on maps since the early 60's, homeowners bought very expensive houses that were next to the path of the Creek. When it was built, they sued and lost at every level. The courts noted that it had been on their plats if they'd have looked at them.

(4) - don't know why this was still shown as freeway as that was killed for lack of funds long before that.  NIMBYs killed it north of there. It would have tied into the SE interchange in the Inner Dispersal Loop.

(5) - it should have shown OK33 all the way to Siloam Springs. It was not decommissioned until the coming of US412.

(6) - the Gilcrease ended at an intersection with Apache.  Apache does continue for a short distance east to meet with Sheridan Rd.

(7) - <sniff> <sniff>    :thumbdown:

(8a) - US75 was not a freeway between 56th St North and OK20 at that time. It still isn't although they've advanced it to past 86th St N. 
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.