News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Evolution of the freeway plan for the KC metro area

Started by Revive 755, July 21, 2013, 10:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

The above is the cover for the source document.  The image appears to be facing southwesterly along I-35 at the Paseo interchange.

Above shows the plans from 1951, 1959, 1970, and 1978.

Freeways in the 1959 plan that were not in the 1970 plan

* What is now I-470 ends at I-435 north of the Triangle.

* Unbuilt freeway running eastward from the Benton Curve on I-70

Freeways in the 1970 plan not in the 1978 plan
* A north-south freeway running from what is now Bruce Watkins at Swope Parkway, joining I-70 between the Jackson and Benton Curves, then continuing north to I-35 around the MO 269 interchange.  A later section of the report mentions a 'Chestnut Freeway' being looked at for removal from the proposed system, which would probably be this facility.

* An east-west freeway running from the US 69 freeway (which is always shown as an expressway in the figure for some reason) at the Kansas River over to the 'Chestnut Freeway' just south of I-70.

* A freeway running parallel to I-29 from the northern interchange with I-435 to an unbuilt expressway that appears to be near the present location of Tiffany Springs Parkway.

* A freeway that would effectively extend I-470 north of I-70 to the northeast corner of the I-435 loop.  This freeway swings east of MO 291 (which would have been upgraded to an expressway) through Independence, then swings back west to either run parallel or jointly with the MO 291 expressway to near Liberty.  On the south side of Liberty the freeway would have shifted east slightly to apparently bypass the town, turn northwest after crossing US 69, then turn west a mile or two after crossing I-35.

* A freeway from the northeast corner of the downtown loop that runs easterly near US 24.

* The MO 152 freeway would have run all the way to the freeway east of Liberty.

Freeways In the 1978 Plan that were not entirely completed

* The gaps on US 71/Bruce Watkins

* The MO 152 freeway was to continue east to the MO 291 corridor.

Comments on the 1978 plan map

* The US 169 freeway is shown as a planned facility to extend north of I-435.

* Metcalf is shown as a complete freeway between I-35 and I-435.  I'm seeing it as a non-freeway on aerial imagery for today

* MO 210 is shown as a completed full freeway to I-35.  Aerial imagery today has three stoplight in the mile east of I-35.

* The US 69 freeway between I-70 and I-35 is shown only as a completed expressway.  Other than the I-35 interchange it is freeway grade today.

* US 169 is shown only as a completed expressway between the downtown loop and MO 9.  Other than the interchange with I-35/I-70 and one right in/right out for the southbound lanes, it is a freeway today.

* MO 152 is shown as having a short freeway section completed at I-35; aerial imagery today shows a section with many stoplights at I-35.

rte66man

Quote from: Revive 755 on July 21, 2013, 10:38:49 PM
* MO 152 is shown as having a short freeway section completed at I-35; aerial imagery today shows a section with many stoplights at I-35.

WAY too many stoplights  :banghead:

With the commercial development at the 152/35 junction, I can't see how there will ever be a free flowing interchange at that location.  Better to build 152 north and east from the I435 junction over to 35.

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.