News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US 74 in Shelby NC

Started by 2trailertrucker, August 06, 2018, 11:19:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparker

Quote from: jcarte29 on November 16, 2018, 08:34:19 AM
Quote from: sparker on November 15, 2018, 06:05:49 PM

...Chances are that if some sort of continuous E-W Interstate were to be pursued in the future, it would utilize I-485 as part of its route much as I-465 is utilized for I-74 around Indianapolis.  Simple "path of least resistance" planning.

Can you imagine how that would impact traffic on I-485 when it constructs its express lane? Ha!

The planning efforts would be the gist of a "path of least resistance" -- not the outcome.  An additional GP lane on the portion of I-485 used for a E-W through-traffic bypass would be a likely way to address the issue of extra traffic. 

wdcrft63

The I-73/74 thread in this forum has lots of discussion on the idea of creating a 2di along US 74 all the way from I-26 to Wilmington. Three sections require upgrading: 1-26 to I-85 in the west, Charlotte to I-73 in the middle, and the approach to Wilmington in the east. This idea is like a big snowball at the top of a hill: all it needs is a push to get it moving. The first person to put it out for public consideration will find that it has plenty of support all along the route, which is politically powerful because a large fraction of the state is involved.

In one of my posts I suggested that I-36 is the natural designation for the route: it fits the grid nicely and there is no NC 36.

sparker

Quote from: wdcrft63 on November 16, 2018, 06:39:52 PM
The I-73/74 thread in this forum has lots of discussion on the idea of creating a 2di along US 74 all the way from I-26 to Wilmington. Three sections require upgrading: 1-26 to I-85 in the west, Charlotte to I-73 in the middle, and the approach to Wilmington in the east. This idea is like a big snowball at the top of a hill: all it needs is a push to get it moving. The first person to put it out for public consideration will find that it has plenty of support all along the route, which is politically powerful because a large fraction of the state is involved.

In one of my posts I suggested that I-36 is the natural designation for the route: it fits the grid nicely and there is no NC 36.

Dislodging I-74 from the segment east of Rockingham might be very difficult, considering the 27 years of political capital embedded with the process of designating and building that route since its basic HPC-5 legislation.  Considering I-42 is only about 120 miles in length, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if indeed an Interstate designation of I-36 or something similar were sought for the (mostly) US 74 corridor through Shelby and Charlotte, it would have its eastern designated terminus right at the I-73/74 junction at Rockingham -- at least initially.  There's still some underlying hope in various quarters that I-74 will eventually connect to its western counterpart in Ohio; that needs to dissipate before any renumbering -- which would require legislative modification of the original authorizing legislation -- could and would occur.

Personally (and please pardon the fictional excursion here) I-36 is a fine designation for the whole US 74 corridor from I-26 to Wilmington.  I'd also propose I-48 for the section of I-74 between I-73 and I-77 via Winston-Salem.  But that would only occur when and if the folks who came up with the whole Myrtle Beach access concept -- or their successors -- recognized the reality that WV and OH have little or no interest in actually building the requisite connection.  Maybe a generation or so will have to pass before that happens!         

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on November 11, 2018, 06:48:41 PM
I am hearing from the locals that the Shelby bypass from NC 226 West to Dixon may open late this month, at least this will get the WB Walmart trucks off Dixon West of town.

Went through there last week. I wasn't able to get a photo, but it's definitely not opening this year. No pavement markings, and it looks like there is another course of asphalt needed.

ccurley100

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on November 26, 2018, 05:47:40 PM
I am hearing from the locals that the Shelby bypass from NC 226 West to Dixon may open late this month, at least this will get the WB Walmart trucks off Dixon West of town.

Went through there last week. I wasn't able to get a photo, but it's definitely not opening this year. No pavement markings, and it looks like there is another course of asphalt needed.
I went through there yesterday and traffic westbound was backed up from NC 226 on the west side of town to about NC 150 because one lane was closed for repaving. I hate driving through Shelby so much that I would take 26 to 85 just to avoid it but now 85 is a mess with the widening between Spartanburg and Blacksburg.

iPhone

wriddle082

Quote from: ccurley100 on November 28, 2018, 09:37:36 AM
Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on November 26, 2018, 05:47:40 PM

I went through there yesterday and traffic westbound was backed up from NC 226 on the west side of town to about NC 150 because one lane was closed for repaving. I hate driving through Shelby so much that I would take 26 to 85 just to avoid it but now 85 is a mess with the widening between Spartanburg and Blacksburg.

iPhone

That's funny!  Yesterday I went from Charlotte to near Travellers Rest, SC for a quick job, got done around 5:30, and consulted Waze for the best route back to Charlotte.  At that time, taking US 25 north to I-26 east to US 74 east was equal time-wise than working my way to 85 along the normal routes.  And it had been a while since I had last travelled up SC's "half of a mountain" , so I went that route.  And I think I made record time getting through Shelby going EB, as I think I only made two complete stops at two traffic lights!  I know, I was really lucky, but I guess the 7 PM hour is favorable for traffic through there.

And I guess the possibility of renumbering NC 226, or the conflict caused by a possible interchange between them, is the reason why I-226 isn't pursued for this corridor.  So I-426 it is!

cowboy_wilhelm

Here's a link to the 1991 feasibility study for the Shelby bypass. The feasibility study recommended a southern bypass instead of the now-under-construction (and not recommended) northern bypass.

R-2707 Feasibility Study Report

cowboy_wilhelm

Forgot this thread existed. From the North Carolina thread:

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on August 31, 2020, 10:46:05 AM
There are recent 2 well done 4k videos of Shelby Bypass construction from NC 226 to NC 150 under you tube contributor Hi-Tech Hikers

tolbs17

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on November 30, 2018, 02:31:00 PM
Here's a link to the 1991 feasibility study for the Shelby bypass. The feasibility study recommended a southern bypass instead of the now-under-construction (and not recommended) northern bypass.

R-2707 Feasibility Study Report
When looking at that, I feel like that would have been better mileage-wise compared to the under construction northern bypass. I feel like that's just additional mileage and it's sort of awkward looking.

The Shelby Bypass reminds me of the Asheboro and Pittsboro bypasses. I can say for the Rockingham as well.

ARMOURERERIC

I think 2 big factors with going north we're the location of the Walmart distribution center near the NC 226 exit and the desire to funnel SB traffic from NC 150 and NC 18 around downtown.  I was at our Hickory location and had a situation in Forest City in the late afternoon of a Friday and to get some variety went 321 to 150 I was surprised at how much Lincolnton, Cherryville, Shelby traffic there was.

cowboy_wilhelm

Update on the Rip Van Winkle Bypass:

• The only section currently under construction from NC 226 to NC 150 (section C) won't be finished until the spring of 2024. It is less than five miles and has been under construction for almost five years.
  • After being delayed two years thanks to COVID, the remaining two sections to complete the bypass and fully upgrade US 74 east of Shelby are scheduled to be let in July 2023.
  • The Lattimore Rd and Ellenboro Rd (Bus US 74) intersections will be converted to an interchange under project R-4045, which received INFRA grant funding in 2020. That project and a project to replace the bridges over Sandy Run (BR-0012) will be completed under a combined design-build project scheduled to be let in July 2023.

The Ghostbuster

Google Maps shows the Shelby Bypass as completed (with no designation) from US 74 to NC 226, and under construction from there to just past NC 150. I assume the segment of US 74 from Ellenboro Rd. (Business 74) to Exit 193 (Highway 1162) will also be upgraded to freeway standards eventually.

sprjus4

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 08, 2022, 05:05:16 PM
Google Maps shows the Shelby Bypass as completed (with no designation) from US 74 to NC 226, and under construction from there to just past NC 150.
That stretch has been open for a couple years now, and yes unsigned.

I assume the segment of US 74 from Ellenboro Rd. (Business 74) to Exit 193 (Highway 1162) will also be upgraded to freeway standards eventually.
That is correct.

It will be the final piece (plus the Shelby Bypass) of a complete US-74 freeway between I-26 and I-85.

Third Strike

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 08, 2022, 05:13:11 PM
Google Maps shows the Shelby Bypass as completed (with no designation) from US 74 to NC 226, and under construction from there to just past NC 150.

I assume the segment of US 74 from Ellenboro Rd. (Business 74) to Exit 193 (Highway 1162) will also be upgraded to freeway standards eventually.
That is correct.

It will be the final piece (plus the Shelby Bypass) of a complete US-74 freeway between I-26 and I-85.

Are there any plans of designating this stretch as an Interstate someday?

tolbs17

Quote from: Third Strike on February 08, 2022, 11:38:59 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on February 08, 2022, 05:13:11 PM

That is correct.

Are there any plans of designating this stretch as an Interstate someday?
I believe I-28 was considered at one time but those plans are dead.

cowboy_wilhelm

No designation has ever been considered, and there hasn't been much interest beyond the local level. NCDOT did complete a feasibility study (FS-1812A, which I cannot locate on their website) in 2019 for upgrading U.S. 74 to interstate standards between I-26 and I-85. Nothing is funded, and with all the funding issues, project delays and other priorities across the state, I don't see this happening any time soon. There may be more interest once the bypass is finished, but it will take some state and/or federal reps showing some interest and pushing for the designation before anything will happen.

ARMOURERERIC

I do believe a major bridge rebuild near Forest City is coming up for bid.

tolbs17

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on February 09, 2022, 12:25:34 PM
No designation has ever been considered, and there hasn't been much interest beyond the local level. NCDOT did complete a feasibility study (FS-1812A, which I cannot locate on their website) in 2019 for upgrading U.S. 74 to interstate standards between I-26 and I-85. Nothing is funded, and with all the funding issues, project delays and other priorities across the state, I don't see this happening any time soon. There may be more interest once the bypass is finished, but it will take some state and/or federal reps showing some interest and pushing for the designation before anything will happen.
If anything happens now, then I say it will most likely be an I-x26.

US 89

Quote from: tolbs17 on February 09, 2022, 06:49:15 PM
If anything happens now, then I say it will most likely be an I-x26.

Well yeah, because all the even x85's are all used or proposed in NC already...

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on February 09, 2022, 04:43:17 PM
I do believe a major bridge rebuild near Forest City is coming up for bid.

Yes, the bridges over the Second Broad River east of Exit 184 and near the Facebook Data Center (B-5876). They must be in pretty bad shape, because after being delayed by six years they got moved back up the list by four years for a 1/17/2023 let. That project and the rest of the Shelby Bypass were originally scheduled to have been let last year.

mvak36

Not related to the Shelby Bypass, but still on US74. Didn't they recently do some project at the interchange with I-26 to make it a full interchange? I think when I passed by there in 2017, you couldn't get onto US 74 East from I-26 West.

My guess is they will probably make it interstate-grade in piecemeal fashion when they have funding available but it probably won't be done anytime soon. Optimistically 15-20 years, but most likely longer than that.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Strider

Quote from: mvak36 on February 10, 2022, 11:39:49 AM
Not related to the Shelby Bypass, but still on US74. Didn't they recently do some project at the interchange with I-26 to make it a full interchange? I think when I passed by there in 2017, you couldn't get onto US 74 East from I-26 West.

My guess is they will probably make it interstate-grade in piecemeal fashion when they have funding available but it probably won't be done anytime soon. Optimistically 15-20 years, but most likely longer than that.

Yeah, they finished that project.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Columbus,+NC+28722/@35.2482958,-82.2108968,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x885761ae0221a62d:0x1126dd1d593cbe93!8m2!3d35.2531698!4d-82.1970584

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: mvak36 on February 10, 2022, 11:39:49 AM

Yes, they started the ramp project in late 2017 and finished in 2019 (I-4729A). On I-26 westbound, U.S. 74 is Exit 66, but still Exit 67 eastbound.

The new ramp to U.S. 74 east removed a travel lane from U.S. 74 eastbound, although I guess it is somehow still considered a ramp from I-26 at that point per the plans and straight-line diagram) I have wondered if this will affect any future designation since four lanes were squeezed into three instead of widening the bridge. There is also some weird geometry to get the ramps to merge that I'm not entirely sure meets interstate standards.

Strider

That ramp looks okay to me. But if it is not interstate standard, I am sure the ramp can be modified. They have plenty of room to fix that in the future.

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: Strider on February 10, 2022, 01:56:50 PM
That ramp looks okay to me. But if it is not interstate standard, I am sure the ramp can be modified. They have plenty of room to fix that in the future.

It's har to see, but there's a dip where the ramp goes down after crossing the bridge and then sharply back up. It causes truck trailers to bounce loudly if they hit it fast enough. I'm sure it's technically fine, but it doesn't scream "modern interstate ramp."

Can anyone else think of another example where a lane was taken away to make room for an on-ramp? The ramp from Aviation Parkway to I-540 in Morrisville is similar, but it was built that way from the start.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.