US 74 in Shelby NC

Started by 2trailertrucker, August 06, 2018, 11:19:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cowboy_wilhelm

Project plans have been posted for the final sections of the U.S. 74 Shelby Bypass. The contract will be let 7/18/2023 and construction can begin 8/28/2023. Completion date is 4/30/2029 with substantial completion by 11/1/2028.

A few items I've noticed:

Speed limit of 65 MPH... figured it would have been 70.
Bus 74 will get an exit number (211), but still no exit numbers for the three interchanges at Kings Mountain. Seems like a missed opportunity to incorporate design and construction with this project.
Eastbound control city will be Gastonia and not Charlotte.

Project proposal and plans.

sprjus4

^ As far as the speed limit, I imagine NCDOT may at some point in the future increase it to 70 mph, but at the same time I would not be surprised if they leave it 65 mph since they are notoriously inconsistent with speed setting.

cowboy_wilhelm

Looking back at the project plans, the design speed for many of the curves is only 70 MPH, so it the posted speed limit may end up staying at 65.

Paving is taking place westbound on the Y-line at NC 18. I guess it's possible they'll have all of this section paved by the end of the summer. Not a great picture looking east (it was getting dark and I couldn't slow down too much due to traffic).

Still grading and drainage work at the N. Lafayette St. overpass (looking east).

ARMOURERERIC

Just getting it open to NC18 from the west will have a big impact on Shelby traffic

74/171FAN

So is the SR Designation of SR 9000 according to OSM for the Shelby Bypass actually correct?
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Mapmikey

Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 19, 2023, 01:36:45 PM
So is the SR Designation of SR 9000 according to OSM for the Shelby Bypass actually correct?

NCDOT frequently assigns SR 900x designations to freeway projects that are either under construction or if open, those they don't want to give a temp NC number to.

The Ghostbuster

I would have liked it if there were at least Future US 74 Bypass signs along the completed portions of the Shelby Bypass. Instead, the overhead signs say To NC 226 at Exit 194, with no route signs or reassurance shields along the roadway after on-ramps. Is this normal for new North Carolina roadways?

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 19, 2023, 03:07:52 PM
I would have liked it if there were at least Future US 74 Bypass signs along the completed portions of the Shelby Bypass. Instead, the overhead signs say To NC 226 at Exit 194, with no route signs or reassurance shields along the roadway after on-ramps. Is this normal for new North Carolina roadways?

As a Pseudo local, this would cause more driver confusion than help.  If they can get it open to NC 18 or 150, then I may reconsider.  Right now the biggest use for what is open is to get trucks from the Walmart distribution center an egress to the west.

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: Mapmikey on July 19, 2023, 02:13:06 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 19, 2023, 01:36:45 PM

NCDOT frequently assigns SR 900x designations to freeway projects that are either under construction or if open, those they don't want to give a temp NC number to.

https://xfer.services.ncdot.gov/gisdot/DOTDELetters/2020/07_July/Div12/R-2707F.pdf

cowboy_wilhelm

Contracts have been awarded for the last sections of the Shelby Bypass and the new interchange at Mooresboro. Construction can begin on the rest of the bypass at the end of August and is supposed to be completed by the end of October 2028. Once both projects are finished, U.S. 74 will be a continuous freeway from I-26 to I-85.

R-2707D/E award letter
R-4045 award letter

Google Street View has updated imagery from July at the future N.C. 18 interchange where paving is ongoing. It doesn't look like the Airport Rd. overpass has started construction yet.

Looking east toward the future Airport Rd. overpass and N.C. 150/N.C. 180 interchange and westbound paving.

Looking west at eastbound paving prep.

ARMOURERERIC

Drove by today.  Looks like all the paving east of the NC 18 bridge is done.

cowboy_wilhelm

Looking east from Metcalf Rd.

Looking east from N. Lafayette St.

Looking west from N. Lafayette St.

Looking east from McBrayer-Springs Rd.

Looking east from N.C. 18/Fallston Rd.

Looking west from the future Airport Rd. overpass.

Future Airport Rd. overpass. Bonus points if you find the orange cat.

ARMOURERERIC

Drove down NC 180 today, looks like beam placement for Airport Rd is 65-100% complete.

Gnutella

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on October 09, 2023, 08:58:21 PMFuture Airport Rd. overpass. Bonus points if you find the orange cat.

Sitting in the crane?

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: Gnutella on October 27, 2023, 10:42:42 PM
Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on October 09, 2023, 08:58:21 PMBonus points if you find the orange cat.

Sitting in the crane?

Nope, and since no one else has taken a guess....

ARMOURERERIC

Again, not good at posting links but there is a 6 week old flyover video on You tube by Carolina drones and construction inspections

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on January 14, 2024, 09:39:28 AM
Again, not good at posting links but there is a 6 week old flyover video on You tube by Carolina drones and construction inspections

Nice find. I think they're aiming to have this section open sometime this summer.

The Ghostbuster

I look forward to the entirety of the Shelby Bypass being completed in 2029: https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/us-74-bypass/Pages/default.aspx.

ARMOURERERIC

Do they shut down asphalt plants for the winter around here?

WashuOtaku

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on January 14, 2024, 04:30:06 PM

I think I understand your question. NCDOT will not lay down asphalt if it gets colder than 50F; so generally they do not make asphalt during the winter months and work on other things.

wriddle082

Quote from: WashuOtaku on January 15, 2024, 09:37:25 AM
Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on January 14, 2024, 04:30:06 PM

I think I understand your question. NCDOT will not lay down asphalt if it gets colder than 50F; so generally they do not make asphalt during the winter months and work on other things.

Both NCDOT and SCDOT are guilty of this laziness, with SCDOT not laying down any asphalt between the months of October and April.  I find this practice to be extremely inefficient.  TDOT, which for the most part has far superior pavement conditions than either NCDOT and especially SCDOT, lets their contractors lay down asphalt at their own discretion.  Sometimes they will even lay it down in December or January if the conditions are right, and the quality is the same.

But perhaps the issue is really the paving contractors and not the DOT policies?  The DOT's really ought to encourage the contractors to work through the colder months at their own discretion in order to get the jobs done quickly and efficiently.

cowboy_wilhelm

There is some flexibility depending on the weather and what course is being placed. Some base course was placed last week on a section of the I-26 widening project between Long Shoals Rd. and Airport Rd. near Asheville. The high temperature on the 11th was 57° at the airport. Highs in the 40s and lows in the 20s the day before and after.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on January 14, 2024, 09:39:28 AM

When it comes to Youtube videos, all you need to do is get the URL for the video, and put it in a post.  The forum will automatically turn it a video for you when you submit your post. ;)

ARMOURERERIC

Had opportunity to drive through the NC18,180,150 part of the project today.  Bidwell machine set up on Airport Rd bridge, milling at the new 180/150 roundabout, looks like a final pave is imminent.  Security fencing up on new 180 bridge over railroad and both ends of new 180 are complete to within 20 feet of the old road.  Bases for traffic signals have been poured at NC18.  Had an unpleasant surprise coming over the NC18 bridge north bound....4" of fresh concrete just spilled all over the lane with nowhere to drive around with a worker on the shoulder making a frantic phone call.

ARMOURERERIC

Kinda surprised that NC18 is getting metal signal poles, but 226 did not.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.