News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

"Litter caused closure of rest area"

Started by Quillz, December 30, 2023, 10:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quillz

What's the deal with these?

I only know of two, both in Santa Barbara County, right near the US-101/CA-1 junction. There are signs claiming that if there is excessive littering, they'll be closed. Usually not forever, because they've clearly been opened again. But they've now been closed for a long while now, at least a year. Is there a reason these seem to only be limited to Santa Barbara County?

I've always wondered if this is just some way to hide lack of funding and/or unwilling to maintain them.

Max Rockatansky

I can't even recall the last time I saw the rest area at Gaviota Pass open...maybe 2014?  Seems like every time I'm in the area they are closed.

cl94

Gaviota Pass has slide and sewer issues that keep the two rest areas closed. NB is currently open, but who knows how long that will last.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Quillz

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 30, 2023, 10:32:42 PM
I can't even recall the last time I saw the rest area at Gaviota Pass open...maybe 2014?  Seems like every time I'm in the area they are closed.
It was open briefly around 2019 or so. Then there were signs saying it was closed due to litter. That's the last time I remember it being open.

cahwyguy

Folks clearly didn't look at the Headline post.

https://www.edhat.com/news/caltrans-announces-gaviota-northbound-rest-stop-now-open/

Caltrans has formally announced the northbound Gaviota Rest Area is now open following a major renovation to its wastewater and electrical systems.

The troubled rest stop opened for approximately one hour last month before Caltrans promptly closed it again.

On November 21, 2023, the state agency announced the opening ahead of the Thanksgiving holiday only to shut it down shortly after due to "unforeseen mechanical issues in the water supply outside of Caltrans control."

Now on December 15, Caltrans is announcing its reopening.

The southbound Rest Area will re-open next Spring following the completion of the nearby slope repair project.
Daniel - California Highway Guy ● Highway Site: http://www.cahighways.org/ ●  Blog: http://blog.cahighways.org/ ● Podcast (CA Route by Route): http://caroutebyroute.org/ ● Follow California Highways on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cahighways

Rothman

In NY it would have closed and stayed closed.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

Quote from: cahwyguy on December 31, 2023, 09:12:26 AM

https://www.edhat.com/news/caltrans-announces-gaviota-northbound-rest-stop-now-open/

Caltrans has formally announced the northbound Gaviota Rest Area is now open following a major renovation to its wastewater and electrical systems.

The troubled rest stop opened for approximately one hour last month before Caltrans promptly closed it again.

On November 21, 2023, the state agency announced the opening ahead of the Thanksgiving holiday only to shut it down shortly after due to "unforeseen mechanical issues in the water supply outside of Caltrans control."

The southbound Rest Area will re-open next Spring following the completion of the nearby slope repair project.

I knew I wasn't pulling the sewage thing out of my rear end.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

GaryV

Quote from: cl94 on December 31, 2023, 05:49:56 PM

[ Must refrain from snarky comment ... ]

Quillz

Quote from: cahwyguy on December 31, 2023, 09:12:26 AM

So does this mean the signs that say it will close due to litter just to make us feel bad?

kkt

Quote from: GaryV on December 31, 2023, 05:52:28 PM

It is very difficult :)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kkt on January 02, 2024, 07:45:52 PM
Quote from: GaryV on December 31, 2023, 05:52:28 PM

It is very difficult :)

That can be fixed by adding more fiber to the diet.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Quillz on December 31, 2023, 08:55:16 PM
So does this mean the signs that say it will close due to litter just to make us feel bad?

Would be nice if people wouldn't be fucking slobs and throw their trash wherever because they think they're entitled to.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

1995hoo

Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 03, 2024, 11:45:33 AM

Would be nice if people wouldn't be fucking slobs and throw their trash wherever because they think they're entitled to.

Especially the cigarette smokers.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Quillz

Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 03, 2024, 11:45:33 AM

I don't disagree. But these are the only ones I know of in the state that say this.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.