News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Golden Gate Bridge in the process of a Retrofit

Started by bing101, January 18, 2024, 10:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

Voyager

They started this project back in 2003 I believe, I was still in high school at the time...amazed it's not entirely finished now.
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

roadfro

Very interesting. What a massive undertaking!

Quote from: Voyager on January 19, 2024, 03:12:27 PM
They started this project back in 2003 I believe, I was still in high school at the time...amazed it's not entirely finished now.

Article says there was an initial 3-phase retrofit project, focusing on the anchorages, that finished in 2014. This project is for the suspension bridge itself.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

kkt

So many projects on that bridge!  Road geometry was shifted, narrowing the sidewalks and the middle and left lanes in both directions and widening the right lanes, so that wide vehicles would have one lane that was wide enough for them.  The reinforced concrete road deck was replaced with pavement on steel, so the weight of the deck is much smaller.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.