News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Springfield, MO: Old 66 Endangered

Started by US71, July 17, 2018, 12:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

It appears Kum and Go has purchased a section of property from MoDOT at Kearney St (Mo 744) and Glenstone (BL I-44) for a new store.  On this land, lies a section of old US 66 and it appears Kum and Go intends to pave it over and post commemorative signage. 

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

US71

Here is Kum and Go's official response:

We don't have plans to change where the access road sits, but the road does need to be widened and resurfaced. And since this is considered to be part of the original Route 66, we'll be installing commemorative signage near the road when the store opens.

Max Rockatansky

At least they are installing something to denote that 66 was there, that's a lot better than a lot sections have gotten.  I had to look up the company "Kum & Go,"  I didn't realize that was even a thing with so many locations.  The name sure isn't something you're likely to forget suffice to say. 

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 17, 2018, 02:57:54 PM
At least they are installing something to denote that 66 was there, that's a lot better than a lot sections have gotten.  I had to look up the company "Kum & Go,"  I didn't realize that was even a thing with so many locations.  The name sure isn't something you're likely to forget suffice to say. 

They are a mainstay of the heartland.
Despite the name, the restrooms are usually quite clean. :-D
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

US71

Quote from: triplemultiplex on July 18, 2018, 09:26:13 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 17, 2018, 02:57:54 PM

They are a mainstay of the heartland.
Despite the name, the restrooms are usually quite clean. :-D

Usually....

NE2

I bet nobody would give a shit if this were part of any other former route.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

The Ghostbuster

Could a US 66 historical marker be placed in front of the new store?

english si

Quote from: NE2 on July 18, 2018, 01:03:16 PMI bet nobody would give a shit if this were part of any other former route.
US99?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: english si on July 18, 2018, 05:04:39 PM
Quote from: NE2 on July 18, 2018, 01:03:16 PMI bet nobody would give a shit if this were part of any other former route.
US99?

There is a following for US 99 that is pretty large as far as highways go but it's nowhere near as big as the 66 crowd.  I've never heard anyone complain about segments of US 99 being endangered outside of a road forum.  Here in Fresno they slapped a minor league ballpark on what was US 99 in Broadway only to turn around to try to convince everyone Fulton Street was the real Main Street of the City.  Say that was US 66 there would be some minor uproar in the general populace.  The High Speed Rail is threaten a lot of old US 99 segments, really outside of here nobody cares asides from general apathy towards said project. 

US71

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 18, 2018, 04:53:11 PM

That seems to be what's proposed: paving over the endangered segment then posting a commemorative marker. I suggested: Under this parking lot lies old Route 66 than we paved over for our parking lot.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US71 on July 18, 2018, 06:52:23 PM

That seems to be what's proposed: paving over the endangered segment then posting a commemorative marker. I suggested: Under this parking lot lies old Route 66 than we paved over for our parking lot.

I don't know how serious ole Kum & Go is about branding standardization but there probably is an opportunity for them to deck the store out with some US 66 motifs aside from just a historic sign.  Might lure in a curious passerby out some sort 66 excursion, seems to work out west. 

US71

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 18, 2018, 07:20:16 PM
Quote from: US71 on July 18, 2018, 06:52:23 PM

I don't know how serious ole Kum & Go is about branding standardization but there probably is an opportunity for them to deck the store out with some US 66 motifs aside from just a historic sign.  Might lure in a curious passerby out some sort 66 excursion, seems to work out west. 

That is supposedly part of the plan. Sort of like the suburbs where they cut down all the trees then name the streets after them. </s>

SD Mapman

Based on the satellite imagery, it doesn't look like they'll be putting a parking lot there, just making the road (which is basically a glorified turning lane) wider to support access (likely putting the convenience store in the grassy area).
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

hbelkins

Saw a Facebook post from the Best Western Route 66 Rail Haven motel about stopping Kum 'n' Go and saving 66. Now I know what they were talking about.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on July 24, 2018, 10:03:08 AM
Saw a Facebook post from the Best Western Route 66 Rail Haven motel about stopping Kum 'n' Go and saving 66. Now I know what they were talking about.

I don't think they will totally stop them, but maybe work out a compromise of some kind. I know the Missouri 66 Association is involved.

US71

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US71 on August 02, 2018, 07:48:03 PM
Saved!   :clap: :clap:

That's great news, I'm sure they'll get more business with the historic section of the road still preserved at the store site.  Part of my long range goals is to do all of 66 in photo albums, I definitely would stop in now that I know the original section will be preserved.

US71

A couple photos I took during the Birthplace of 66 Featival

Road Hog

I do agree that any original pavement that still exists of Old 66 (with possible exception to currently-utilized roadways) must be preserved at any cost.

NE2

Quote from: Road Hog on August 26, 2018, 08:24:00 PM
I do agree that any original pavement that still exists of Old 66 (with possible exception to currently-utilized roadways) must be preserved at any cost.
Why? What makes 66 special?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

edwaleni

This is an original US-66 alignment built in 1926.  Per the US-66 website, when the road was realigned out of Strafford, it came down and made a turn south at this location to reach downtown Springfield.

In 1936, downtown Springfield had become heavily congested with so many US routes converging, so they built Bypass US-66, which is now Kearney Street. 

When the bypass opened, they stopped using this alignment and abandoned it in preference for a signaled intersection with Glenstone and small turn lanes.

I checked the aerials back to 1955 and it was not used even by then.

I am surprised it not only has lasted so long with the surrounding development, but also the fact its 82 years old!

edwaleni

Quote from: NE2 on August 26, 2018, 09:06:22 PM

Because it represents a major change in American culture and mobility. Just 20 years prior we had to take a train to reach the west coast and it wasn't very cheap.

Now one could take a personal automobile, travel west at their own time and leisure, not beholden to a time schedule from a railroad.

A boy born in 1860 and who rode a wagon train moving 3-4 mph to California when he was 9, could now drive a car back east to where he came from in just a few days.

hotdogPi

Quote from: edwaleni on August 27, 2018, 08:13:29 AM
Quote from: NE2 on August 26, 2018, 09:06:22 PM

Because it represents a major change in American culture and mobility. Just 20 years prior we had to take a train to reach the west coast and it wasn't very cheap.

Now one could take a personal automobile, travel west at their own time and leisure, not beholden to a time schedule from a railroad.

A boy born in 1860 and who rode a wagon train moving 3-4 mph to California when he was 9, could now drive a car back east to where he came from in just a few days.

Several routes reached California, though. 6, 50, 80, ...
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Rothman

C'mon 1.  66 has a legendary status possibly above any other road in the U.S.  "Get Your Kicks on Route 50" just doesn't have the same ring to it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

US71

It's hard to explain to a non-believer like NE2, but it was a major road from Chicago to Los Angeles. It's not just about the road, but the stories that are told.

The roadway at Springfield is one of the last if not THE last section of roadway in Springfield or possibly Missouri.  Word is it was finished by hand: something rarely seen anymore. Something you don't notice until you're actually walking it, is the texture of the pavement is different from how it is now. It's not just that it was 66, but the historical significance/relevance of the road itself.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.