Is blowing bubbles with bubble gum a driving hazard?

Started by bandit957, November 22, 2019, 01:03:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

I've always wondered this.

If a person blows a bubble big enough to block their vision or burst and cover their glasses, can they be cited for reckless driving? Once about 25 years ago, a man in Australia was killed because he let a bubble burst on his glasses while he was driving. But it appears that it's so rare for anyone to blow a bubble that big while driving that I don't know of anyone being cited for it.

I've known people who regularly blew bubbles the size of their head, but when they were driving, they made sure a bubble didn't get that big, lest it block their vision.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

kphoger

Obviously, this would depend on the exact wording of the state's vehicle code.  But, for reference, here is the UVC's wording, and the only things not allowed to obstruct the driver's view are cargo and people.  Bubble gum is fair game.

Quote from: Uniform Vehicle Code, Millennium Edition
CHAPTER 11 - RULES OF THE ROAD

ARTICLE XI - MISCELLANEOUS RULES

ยง 11-1104-Obstruction to driver's view or driving mechanism

(a) No person shall drive a vehicle when it is so loaded, or when there are in the front seat such a number of persons, as to obstruct the view of the driver to the front or sides of the vehicle or as to interfere with the driver's control over the driving mechanism of the vehicle.

(b) No passenger in a vehicle (or streetcar) shall ride in such position as to interfere with the driver's (or streetcar operator's) view ahead or to the sides, or to interfere with such person's control over the driving mechanism of the vehicle (or streetcar.)

(c) No person shall drive a vehicle while a child or any other person or an animal is so positioned as to be between the body of the driver and the steering wheel.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jeffandnicole

In NJ...while there's no specific bubble gum law per se, if you cause an accident and basically only do damage to yourself and an inanimate object like a telephone or light pole, our catch-all violation would be Careless Driving (2 Points, $80 - $200 fine).  But if you injure or kill someone, it may be just left at Careless driving and we'll need a new law for bubble gum hazards, or they'll upgrade it to something more serious.

kphoger

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 22, 2019, 02:35:32 PM
and we'll need a new law for bubble gum hazards

Because life isn't legislatively micromanaged enough as it is...   :awesomeface:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Driving hazard? Perhaps. Visual hazard for those around you? Oh lord yes. I put blowing bubbles up there with smoking and vaping as "visual irritants". I find it revolting. Keep your confections in your mouth....thanks.

Scott5114

If your head is shaped like a Speak & Spell, you don't have to worry about it, because the bubble is round and your head is not.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.