News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

texaskdog

Commercials for workout equipment that look like they are in factories with smoke in the background, like anyone's gym looks like that.

Beltway

Quote from: jakeroot on January 15, 2020, 04:10:17 AM
I find men who feel the need to grunt loudly after every lift to be substantially more bothersome.
What about tennis players that grunt loudly when they swing the racket? :-)

Quote from: roadman on January 15, 2020, 11:27:23 AM
People who, when the elevator door is within two to three inches of closing, deliberately stick their arm or leg in the gap to force the door to reopen.
What if they don't want to miss that cab and don't want to wait for the next one? :-)
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

texaskdog

Or people that miss their onramp or turn and rather than just go a few blocks extra hold up several other cars from making their light.

hbelkins

When someone says "Because xxx" as if that's supposed to mean anything.

Like that Jimmy John's commercial. "Because sandwich."

Often seen in roadgeek circles: "Because PennDOT."

Or this thread.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on January 17, 2020, 11:23:00 AM

Doesn't make sense.

Makes sense.  It's assuming a conversation that goes something like this:

– Why does the blabbety-blah in Pennsylvania yadda-yadda-yadda?
– Because PennDOT did somethin-somethin-somethin.
– Oh, you could have just stopped at "Because PennDOT", and I would have understood.
– Yeah, I guess you're right.  PennDOT sucks pencil lead!
– Ha ha ha ha ha!
– Ho ho ho ho ho!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Personally I kind of enjoy the Because PennDOT memes.  There are more than a couple other DOTs that could have their own spin on the PennDOT meme given that more signage isn't exclusive to Pennsylvania. 

jakeroot

The idea (being the in the age group where such terminology is common) is that "xxx" fills in the rest of the sentence without having to say it out loud. Both parties have to be "in" on it, but it works on occasion.

For someone like me, watching an old man go on a tirade about something bizarre could easily be explain by "because boomer".

Beltway

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 17, 2020, 01:37:15 PM
Personally I kind of enjoy the Because PennDOT memes.  There are more than a couple other DOTs that could have their own spin on the PennDOT meme given that more signage isn't exclusive to Pennsylvania. 

Don't forget PTC ... they are on about equal footing as PennDOT! :-)
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Rothman

Or this thread.
Because HB.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

It only works if there's an implied meaning of the term that's mutually understood.

I had never heard the Jimmy John's one before, but it looks to me like an attempt to be funny and connect to younger consumers, and I think they failed on both counts, and managed to alienate both young AND old
customers (old because they don't get it, and young because the humor falls flat). Yikes.

crt08

When people don't stop for crosswalks in front of stores, etc when you're in the crosswalk, or when you're crossing, they start accelerating before you get across it. I'm not a slow person so it's not like you can't just give me the legal right of way and wait!

When people just won't slow down or pay any attention to what's going on, just me me me. I had to drive around a truck today that was parked on the side of the road with the door open. I slowed down, moved over in case somebody jumped out, then this car coming in the opposite direction didn't bother slowing down, almost ran into me. Just slow down people!

DaBigE

- Commercial plow drivers who put snow piles in the worst possible places (blocking sight at aisle intersections - main aisles  :ded:  :banghead: )
- Timid drivers in winter storms
- Half-assed attempts at clearing snow off of your vehicle...they may think the blizzard forming behind them on the highway is cool, but it is also classified as an 'unsecured load'
- People who put several thousand dollar stereo systems in cars that are about ready to fall apart

EDIT: D'oh...the first one was meant to reference parking lots.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

renegade

"Sent from (insert device type here) [/color][/size]"

I could NOT care less.

Mac using my fingers.   :bigass:
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

CNGL-Leudimin

I agree about that random spam sometimes appearing on posts. If I quote any post with it, I change that to "Random spam".

Lenovo ideapad 330 using Firefox 72.0.1 :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

DaBigE

Quote from: renegade on January 19, 2020, 11:10:48 AM
"Sent from (insert device type here) [/color][/size]"

I could NOT care less.

Mac using my fingers.   :bigass:

At least in the case of these signatures being applied in emails, I actually like them. It shows the higher-ups that they're causing me to piss away time I could have been doing something else, by having to reply on a mobile device. Unfortunately, most won't pick up on the message even if it said " blah-blah using only my middle finger".

jakeroot

One of my professors' signatures is pretty honest: "sorry about spelling errors... Galaxy S7 (tiny screen)".

wanderer2575

Quote from: DaBigE on January 18, 2020, 06:46:42 PM
- Commercial plow drivers who put snow piles in the worst possible places (blocking sight at aisle intersections - main aisles  :ded:  :banghead: )

The city snowplow that comes down the road just after I cleared out the foot of my driveway.

1995hoo

One of the things I find mildly annoying and inexplicable is when people put the decals on their license plates incorrectly. Here's a particularly egregious example I saw this afternoon when I was out for a walk. The "month" sticker is supposed to go in the top left where it says "month" and the year is supposed to go in the top right where it says "year." This person got it completely wrong, although it's not as bad as the guy across the street from us who (illegally) has no front plate and put both "year" stickers on his rear plate. With the one seen here, at least both the month and year are visible, though incorrectly displayed.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: DaBigE on January 18, 2020, 06:46:42 PM

In the town I grew up in, the streets were very wide and we tended to get a lot of snow.  When there was heavy snowfall, the snow plows would plow to the middle of the street instead of the edges.  That meant no big wall of snow blocking driveways or parking spots.  However, it made for a twice-as-big wall of snow in the middle of the street.  Turning left was always fun!  Get going as fast as you could, barrel your way through, and hope for the best.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

renegade

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 19, 2020, 04:08:42 PM
One of the things I find mildly annoying and inexplicable is when people put the decals on their license plates incorrectly. Here's a particularly egregious example I saw this afternoon when I was out for a walk. The "month" sticker is supposed to go in the top left where it says "month" and the year is supposed to go in the top right where it says "year." This person got it completely wrong, although it's not as bad as the guy across the street from us who (illegally) has no front plate and put both "year" stickers on his rear plate. With the one seen here, at least both the month and year are visible, though incorrectly displayed.

In my state, improperly placed decals used to be ticketable.  I'm not sure when the authorities stopped caring about that though.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

1995hoo

^^^^^

In my mind, the guy across the street with no "month" sticker deserves a ticket, but the Mazda seen in the photo does not because the date of expiry is clear.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kj3400

-People who feel the need to say thank you 3+ times in the same encounter
-People who switch lanes to the one in front of me and immediately turn. This is much more annoying when I'm at work driving a 21 ton bus around.
-Traffic lights where the sensors aren't set correctly so the light doesn't change when you would expect (i.e opposite direction gets a lead arrow when no one's in the turn lane)
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

DaBigE

Pointless commercials (when you're stuck watching live tv) -- the ones that tell the viewer next to nothing about the product but cost a butt-ton to produce. If I want to be entertained, I'll change the channel or go to a movie or comedy show. How much I laugh is not going to open my wallet any faster. Extra insult are the insurance commercials, which seem to be the only reason my rates go up.

texaskdog

Quote from: crt08 on January 18, 2020, 04:00:45 PM
When people don't stop for crosswalks in front of stores, etc when you're in the crosswalk, or when you're crossing, they start accelerating before you get across it. I'm not a slow person so it's not like you can't just give me the legal right of way and wait!

When people just won't slow down or pay any attention to what's going on, just me me me. I had to drive around a truck today that was parked on the side of the road with the door open. I slowed down, moved over in case somebody jumped out, then this car coming in the opposite direction didn't bother slowing down, almost ran into me. Just slow down people!

And people who don't look when they cross.  Even with the right of way you need to be cognizant of cars who may not see you.  Goes double for people who cross (usually illegally) and put their hand up, like that will stop a car.

SSOWorld

Quote from: texaskdog on January 19, 2020, 09:06:12 PM
Quote from: crt08 on January 18, 2020, 04:00:45 PM

And people who don't look when they cross.  Even with the right of way you need to be cognizant of cars who may not see you.  Goes double for people who cross (usually illegally) and put their hand up, like that will stop a car.
You will find that on university campuses - and the governments put up signs and yellow flashers to help them.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.