News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Sign-Happy Shopping Center Lots and Etc... -- Past & Present.

Started by thenetwork, December 11, 2019, 03:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

Growing up in Northeast Ohio in the 70s, I became a road geek and especially a sign-geek.  A lot of that came  about when my parents would take us to the local shopping centers.

Back in the day, a lot of shopping centers in my area were big on signage for every aisle and every road leading into and out of the facilities.  Most were signs on poles embedded in a big concrete square base painted yellow.  Most of these signs had ONE WAY signs on them, others saying STOP, YIELD, or 2 HOUR PARKING.

During the 80s, it seems a lot of these shopping center signs were drastically reduced to just STOP signs and other important info -- and the yellow concrete blocks were taken away.

Even some of the local industrial factory parking lots were big on using street signs EVERYWHERE on their property and parking lots, albeit many had used smaller versions of the signs you'd see on the public roads.

Anybody have any old photos of shopping centers, other parking lots that were big on signing everything?  Are there still places that still do that (above and beyond what seems to be the norm in most parking lots nowadays).

Just reminiscing is what caused me to ask this question.

Brian556

Quote from: thenetwork on December 11, 2019, 03:02:22 PM
Growing up in Northeast Ohio in the 70s, I became a road geek and especially a sign-geek.  A lot of that came  about when my parents would take us to the local shopping centers.

Back in the day, a lot of shopping centers in my area were big on signage for every aisle and every road leading into and out of the facilities.  Most were signs on poles embedded in a big concrete square base painted yellow.  Most of these signs had ONE WAY signs on them, others saying STOP, YIELD, or 2 HOUR PARKING.

During the 80s, it seems a lot of these shopping center signs were drastically reduced to just STOP signs and other important info -- and the yellow concrete blocks were taken away.

Even some of the local industrial factory parking lots were big on using street signs EVERYWHERE on their property and parking lots, albeit many had used smaller versions of the signs you'd see on the public roads.

Anybody have any old photos of shopping centers, other parking lots that were big on signing everything?  Are there still places that still do that (above and beyond what seems to be the norm in most parking lots nowadays).

Just reminiscing is what caused me to ask this question.

Surprised to hear this given that every shopping center I've ever seen has insufficient traffic control, making their parking lots dangerous AF. They don't even bother with stop signs

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.