News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

If there's a show called 'Hoarders', why isn't there a 'Wasters'?

Started by bandit957, December 15, 2019, 07:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

There's a reality show on cable called 'Hoarders', which is about real people who are compulsive hoarders. But why isn't there a show about compulsive wasters?

People who waste things annoy me a lot more than people who hoard things. It bugs me to no end. We all know people (maybe even a family member) who throw away things that are perfectly good. In fact, 'Hoarders' involves wasting a lot of useful items people hoarded.

I get accused of hoarding because I refuse to throw away perfectly good road maps and records (especially 45's I buyed when I was in grade school), so I think 'hoard' might be one of these words that just gets thrown around by people who don't know what it means.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Scott5114

If something is perfectly good but has no foreseeable use, what would you do with it?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jeffandnicole

I take home leftovers way more than the common person apparently.  I paid for that food; I'm gonna eat it!

SectorZ

Quote from: bandit957 on December 15, 2019, 07:00:37 PM
But why isn't there a show about compulsive wasters?

There are. Kardashians, Paris Hilton, anything on MTV/VH1. Really, any show following the rich and useless.

Paulinator66

There's a reality show on cable called 'Hoarders', which is about real people who are compulsive hoarders. But why isn't there a show about compulsive wasters?

People who waste things annoy me a lot more than people who hoard things. It bugs me to no end. We all know people (maybe even a family member) who throw away things that are perfectly good. In fact, 'Hoarders' involves wasting a lot of useful items people hoarded.

I get accused of hoarding because I refuse to throw away perfectly good road maps and records (especially 45's I buyed when I was in grade school), so I think 'hoard' might be one of these words that just gets thrown around by people who don't know what it means.

If people throw things away how would you do a TV show about it?  There would be nothing on screen except an empty garbage can.
Only Seinfeld can do a show about nothing. :-D

Bruce

A show about 'Wasters' would qualify just about every person in the United States. We throw out a ton of food, recyclable material, clothing, toys, electronics, books, etc. without much of a care.

ozarkman417

The rich YouTubers that smash tech and cars just for fun and ad revenue could count...

When I get a pizza I usually eat half of it that night then save the other half for lunch the next day.

Brandon

Quote from: Bruce on December 16, 2019, 04:35:09 PM
A show about 'Wasters' would qualify just about every person in the United States world. We throw out a ton of food, recyclable material, clothing, toys, electronics, books, etc. without much of a care.

It's fairly endemic to more than just one country.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Max Rockatansky

Isn't the nature of reality TV technically "waste"  or at least garbage like?

formulanone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 16, 2019, 05:52:04 PM
Isn't the nature of reality TV technically "waste"  or at least garbage like?

Programming is the filler between the advertising for nearly every channel.

Buy more stuff, you're not cool enough, or you'll miss out!

US71

My ex-GF of 15 years ago was visited by Hoarders. She never threw anything out and was always collecting new crap (usually books on Medieval music). She only called them when the city threatened to condemn her house.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

xcellntbuy

There was a syndicated program once called, "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous," code for 'wasters.' :hmmm:

wanderer2575

"Reality" TV isn't about what viewers find annoying; it's about what viewers find fascinating and entertaining (however shallow).  And it certainly isn't about educating, enlightening, or commenting on social consciousness.  People watch "Hoarders" because they are entertained by others' misery.  Nobody would watch "Wasters" because it would only be...  well, annoying.

Quote from: xcellntbuy on December 16, 2019, 09:02:52 PM
There was a syndicated program once called, "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous," code for 'wasters.' :hmmm:

Or "My Lottery Dream Home," where the host takes lottery winners on househunting trips.  But these shows aren't specifically highlighting waste, so they work.  Living in extravagance is not the same as throwing things out.

RobbieL2415

I wouldn't call it "Wasters" because the word "waste" can have connotations to the word "murder".

PHLBOS

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on December 18, 2019, 05:55:15 PMI wouldn't call it "Wasters" because the word "waste" can have connotations to the word "murder".
The word could also have connotations to drug use/users.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Brian556

Government agencies and large companies are the worst. TxDOT always threw away perfectly good stuff, so does Target

As far as Hoarders go, the fact that they are nasty and too lazy to clean is a way bigger problem than keeping too much stuff. The show should be called "Lazy Pigs"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.