News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

TV shows most people love that you hate

Started by texaskdog, January 09, 2020, 11:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texaskdog

Every day that stupid show with the briefcases & Howie Mandel comes on the TV at work.  There's nothing clever about it, just random guessing, and the mystery banker offers.

Big John

Friends.  I could not relate to that show even when I tried.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Big John on January 09, 2020, 11:29:49 PM
Friends.  I could not relate to that show even when I tried.

Friends, Seinfeld, Will and Grace, Saturday Night Live post 1993, Late Night with Conan O'Brien... it seemed like NBC had become a local Noo Yawk City station starting in the 1990s, with the rest of the country merely along for the ride.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Max Rockatansky

Sex and the City is something I've always found annoying.  My brother used to watch it and now my wife does.  It seems like the complain about the exact same thing in every episode. 

Scott5114

Quote from: texaskdog on January 09, 2020, 11:16:23 PM
Every day that stupid show with the briefcases & Howie Mandel comes on the TV at work.  There's nothing clever about it, just random guessing, and the mystery banker offers.

Choosing the cases is just random guessing. The game strategy is in evaluating whether the bank offers are in line with the mathematically expected value of the final case. The rest is window dressing.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

texaskdog

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 10, 2020, 02:25:26 AM
Quote from: texaskdog on January 09, 2020, 11:16:23 PM

Choosing the cases is just random guessing. The game strategy is in evaluating whether the bank offers are in line with the mathematically expected value of the final case. The rest is window dressing.

I love randomness myself, I use random.org all the time.  I could see anyone really loving this show for about 3 episodes, then it is unwatchable. 

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

RobbieL2415

I hate The Office.

I hate Friends

I hate The Walking Dead from season 2 onward.

hbelkins

Friends and Seinfeld are two classics that I had no use for.

Any of the premium channel-only shows that seem to be popular, I've never watched. The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, Sex & The City. That type.

And the late-night "comedy" shows. Colbert, Fallon, Kimmel -- I'd rather take a beating than watch those insufferable buffoons. The Daily Show and Colbert Report, back when they aired; big "nopes" here.

Also, I never got the popularity of Duck Dynasty.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

J N Winkler

Pretty much the only type of TV programming I watch is scripted dramas.  I find my TV watching tends to go in ten-year cycles:  in the low point I watch almost nothing at all (with Game of Thrones now in the can, Outlander is the only one I am actively following), and at the high point I watch dozens of shows from pilot to series finale (often at a rate of two or three episodes per night) until I reach a sort of saturation point where new shows start failing to hold my attention.  I don't think this lack of interest has anything to do with the premise, the writing, the acting, or the production values for any given show; in fact, I suspect it has more to do with the order in which I get to it when I am on a catch-up binge.

It has been estimated that the average American watches five hours and four minutes of TV a day.  Most weeks I typically watch zero hours, though I have some passive exposure to TV at the gym.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 10, 2020, 06:37:58 PM
Pretty much the only type of TV programming I watch is scripted dramas.  I find my TV watching tends to go in ten-year cycles:  in the low point I watch almost nothing at all (with Game of Thrones now in the can, Outlander is the only one I am actively following), and at the high point I watch dozens of shows from pilot to series finale (often at a rate of two or three episodes per night) until I reach a sort of saturation point where new shows start failing to hold my attention.  I don't think this lack of interest has anything to do with the premise, the writing, the acting, or the production values for any given show; in fact, I suspect it has more to do with the order in which I get to it when I am on a catch-up binge.

It has been estimated that the average American watches five hours and four minutes of TV a day.  Most weeks I typically watch zero hours, though I have some passive exposure to TV at the gym.

I've often wondered how that is actually possible to watch that much TV.  My wife probably watches a solid two hours a night which is just background noise to me.  I would have thought that figure would have dropped considerably with the advent of smart phones, streaming services, and things like YouTube.  Pretty much the last stand for TV with me is sports. 

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 10, 2020, 06:40:31 PM
I've often wondered how that is actually possible to watch that much TV.

I'm wondering if they're not counting those streaming services as "TV," especially since most TVs are now smart TVs that can utilize those services.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 10, 2020, 06:44:48 PM

I'm wondering if they're not counting those streaming services as "TV," especially since most TVs are now smart TVs that can utilize those services.

It has to be something like that.  Either way that average seems excessively high regardless.  I'm assuming someone had a full time job how do you average five hours of TV a day?  I get that days off might boost that average but I would sincerely hope the average person doesn't have a life that dull. 

Conservatively let's assume that a person on a day off doesn't go out to do something or hangs out with people on days off might watch 10 hours of "TV."   Assuming that the five work day average is 2 hours a day that still comes out to about 4.28 hours a day.  Is that how most people operate and I'm just naive to it?   

ce929wax

I'm not a fan of the Real Housewives of ___________ series or shows like 90 Day Fiancee, and Married at First Sight.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 10, 2020, 06:48:07 PM
It has to be something like that.  Either way that average seems excessively high regardless.  I'm assuming someone had a full time job how do you average five hours of TV a day?  I get that days off might boost that average but I would sincerely hope the average person doesn't have a life that dull.

Also have to account for the fact that a lot of people, streaming or not, often just leave their TV on while they do other things.

I have to say, though, is there a study somewhere that backs up that number? I'd like to see their methodology, because I agree, that number still seems a bit high.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 10, 2020, 06:53:42 PM

Also have to account for the fact that a lot of people, streaming or not, often just leave their TV on while they do other things.

I have to say, though, is there a study somewhere that backs up that number? I'd like to see their methodology, because I agree, that number still seems a bit high.

Yeah I would think that there would be some accounting for having a TV or other device on in the background as not really watching something.  Sometimes I'll leave sports or documentaries on in the background when I do projects in the house, I'm definitely not "intently watching"  90% of the time. 

formulanone

The Bureau for Labor Statistics cites an average of 2.8 hours per day for those employed, which seems a bit more believable.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/atus.nr0.htm

However, I wonder if we are exposed to a lot more television than that, depending on where you work or at businesses which always have the TV set on (sports, news, for example).

I probably consume about 2-4 hours of television on weekends, usually from something the missus or the kids want to watch. On weekdays, less than 15 minutes catching up on weather, unless something crazy just happened on the news.

So I'm not going to tear into anyone's recent favorites, because I've never bothered.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: formulanone on January 10, 2020, 07:08:04 PM

The Bureau for Labor Statistics cites an average of 2.8 hours per day for those employed, which seems a bit more believable.

However, I wonder if we are exposed to a lot more television than that, depending on where you work or at businesses which always have the TV set on (sports, news, for example).

I probably consume about 2-4 hours of television on weekends, usually from something the missus or the kids want to watch. On weekdays, less than 15 minutes catching up on weather, unless something crazy just happened on the news.

So I'm not going to tear into anyone's recent favorites, because I've never bothered.

2.8 hours seems like a figure much more in line with reality.  Regarding exposure to TV or media, is that really consumption if it is in the background and not being followed intently?  I walk by all sorts of popular shows, topics in the news, or other things that tend to get brought up in threads like this.  I often can't comment on the content in any of them because I didn't pay enough attention to absorb what was going on.  Case and point; my wife is serious about watching certain TV shows.  One in particular she watched is "This is Us."    I'm generally in the same room and often talk to her while that show is on but I couldn't tell you the name of a single character on it.  Usually I'm engaged in; reading, writing, exercise, or even house hold chores.  I wouldn't consider the fact that my wife is in the vicinity watching a show to be consumption when I'm not actively engaged in watching it myself.  Likewise one could say the same thing about being around TV borne media in the general public. 

J N Winkler

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 10, 2020, 06:53:42 PMI have to say, though, is there a study somewhere that backs up that number? I'd like to see their methodology, because I agree, that number still seems a bit high.

It's a Nielsen report quoted in the New York Times, and I gather it is intended to be a population average, with younger people watching about 20 hours/week (corresponds to the BLS ~3 hours/day average Formulaone quotes, which is not surprising since younger people tend to be in work) and older people watching more.  I don't know if Nielsen is counting "set on" time or "eyeball" time.

If it is TV programming, regardless of what device I am actually using to access it, I count it as TV watching time.  This seems to me reasonable in terms of gauging the health implications of such a sedentary activity.  I still haven't made the digital transition, so nearly all of my TV watching over the past decade has actually been on two laptops, two phones, and one tablet.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

renegade

Any show that involves anyone connected to the Douchebaggians or Kenny West. 

Sure wish there was some kind of puke emoji for this one.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

crt08

I haven't really watched TV consistently since about 2007 or so. Once in a while but I rarely think "such and such is on tonight, I'm going to watch it." The internet is more fun for me.

Some shows I can think of, although I wouldn't necesarrily say it's love/hate would be those house hunter shows. I like seeing the places they go but all of the talk and specifics just annoy me. The idea that people my age have hundreds of thousands or million dollar budgets for their first home.

And then in most of them, they go into houses that I'd be perfectly happy with, kitchens and bathrooms that I'd love to use, and then declare it is horrible and needs to be ripped out. The whole thing seems to be an HGTV selling point that if your house hasn't been completely remodeled in the last 5 years and have white cabinets with marble tops and shiplap then it all needs to be thrown away. Bullcrap.

The ones like Househunters International aren't so bad because the people tend not to complain about the places being outdated. Buying Alaska is usually alright too, although Log Cabin Living tends to have almost as much outdated comments as Househunters.

Sometimes I've actually watched the show with the sound muted but I still can almost hear them complaining as the camera pans around the kitchen.  :-D.

There was one I saw that was actually filmed in the town south of me, and some of the houses they looked at I had seen listings for, which was pretty cool, especially considering how small that town is. There were a few complaints in that one, but I actually agreed with most of the things myself.  :-D

texaskdog

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 10, 2020, 07:26:28 PM
I’ve often wondered how that is actually possible to watch that much TV.
It has to be something like that.  Either way that average seems excessively high regardless.  I’m assuming someone had a full time job how do you average five hours of TV a day?  I get that days off might boost that average but I would sincerely hope the average person doesn’t have a life that dull.

2.8 hours seems like a figure much more in line with reality.  Regarding exposure to TV or media, is that really consumption if it is in the background and not being followed intently?  I walk by all sorts of popular shows, topics in the news, or other things that tend to get brought up in threads like this.  I often can’t comment on the content in any of them because I didn’t pay enough attention to absorb what was going on.  Case and point; my wife is serious about watching certain TV shows.  One in particular she watched is “This is Us.”   I’m generally in the same room and often talk to her while that show is on but I couldn’t tell you the name of a single character on it.  Usually I’m engaged in; reading, writing, exercise, or even house hold chores.  I wouldn’t consider the fact that my wife is in the vicinity watching a show to be consumption when I’m not actively engaged in watching it myself.  Likewise one could say the same thing about being around TV borne media in the general public. 

Did I write this?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: texaskdog on January 12, 2020, 09:03:43 PM

2.8 hours seems like a figure much more in line with reality.  Regarding exposure to TV or media, is that really consumption if it is in the background and not being followed intently?  I walk by all sorts of popular shows, topics in the news, or other things that tend to get brought up in threads like this.  I often can't comment on the content in any of them because I didn't pay enough attention to absorb what was going on.  Case and point; my wife is serious about watching certain TV shows.  One in particular she watched is "This is Us."    I'm generally in the same room and often talk to her while that show is on but I couldn't tell you the name of a single character on it.  Usually I'm engaged in; reading, writing, exercise, or even house hold chores.  I wouldn't consider the fact that my wife is in the vicinity watching a show to be consumption when I'm not actively engaged in watching it myself.  Likewise one could say the same thing about being around TV borne media in the general public. 

Did I write this?

The last quote?  No, I did. 

texaskdog

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 12, 2020, 09:11:51 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on January 12, 2020, 09:03:43 PM
I’ve often wondered how that is actually possible to watch that much TV.
It has to be something like that.  Either way that average seems excessively high regardless.  I’m assuming someone had a full time job how do you average five hours of TV a day?  I get that days off might boost that average but I would sincerely hope the average person doesn’t have a life that dull.

2.8 hours seems like a figure much more in line with reality.  Regarding exposure to TV or media, is that really consumption if it is in the background and not being followed intently?  I walk by all sorts of popular shows, topics in the news, or other things that tend to get brought up in threads like this.  I often can’t comment on the content in any of them because I didn’t pay enough attention to absorb what was going on.  Case and point; my wife is serious about watching certain TV shows.  One in particular she watched is “This is Us.”   I’m generally in the same room and often talk to her while that show is on but I couldn’t tell you the name of a single character on it.  Usually I’m engaged in; reading, writing, exercise, or even house hold chores.  I wouldn’t consider the fact that my wife is in the vicinity watching a show to be consumption when I’m not actively engaged in watching it myself.  Likewise one could say the same thing about being around TV borne media in the general public. 

Did I write this?

The last quote?  No, I did. 

Yes, looks exactly like me and my wife, she decides she's going without TV for 30 days and day one she's watching.  This Is Us is one of her many shows. I'm watching Andy Griffith now.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.