News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Highways on Jeopardy!

Started by NWI_Irish96, October 30, 2023, 05:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryV

I second-guessed myself and would have gotten it wrong. My inclination was Texas, but for some reason I thought I-10 was over 1000 miles - must have been part of one of those threads of what the mile markers would be if we went metric.

tmoore952

I dimly remembered seeing other highway clues on Jeopardy! in the past. A Google search led me to p.52 of "General Highway Talk" where there was an entire category on highways on Mar. 17, 2011.  (I was not aware of this website until a few years later)

I do not know (and am failing to figure out) how to post a link to a different discussion thread, otherwise I'd do so.
The thread name is "Jeopardy! "On the Highway"  category".
The last response to this was Mar. 18, 2011. On page 52 of "General Highway Talk".

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: tmoore952 on November 18, 2023, 12:12:16 AM
I dimly remembered seeing other highway clues on Jeopardy! in the past. A Google search led me to p.52 of "General Highway Talk" where there was an entire category on highways on Mar. 17, 2011.  (I was not aware of this website until a few years later)

I do not know (and am failing to figure out) how to post a link to a different discussion thread, otherwise I'd do so.
The last response to this was Mar. 18, 2011. On page 52 of "General Highway Talk".

The episode is here on the J! Archive.

The post in question is this one:
Quote from: Jim on March 17, 2011, 09:21:21 PM
Today's "Jeopardy!" episode had a Double Jeopardy! category "On The Highway" all about U.S. Highways.

For $400: U.S. Highway 20 from Boston to the west coast has this distinction; it used to be No. 2.

For $800: U.S. 66 runs from Chicago to L.A.; this devilishly numbered route runs from Monticello, Utah to Douglas, Arizona.

For $1200: 2,400-mile U.S. Highway 1 runs from Fort Kent in this state all the way down to Florida.

For $1600: Follow the 240 miles of U.S. 44 to make the "pilgrimage" from Kerhonksen, N.Y. to this Mass. bay city.

For $2000: The eastern end of U.S. 30 is in Atlantic City; the western end is in Astoria, a continent away in this state.

Why do I feel that I would not be lucky enough to get this category if I ever went on Jeopardy!?  And I wonder how Alex Trebek would react when I pointed out the flaws in his $800 question?

Just for the record, the category was "Or the Highway," making a pun with the previous category on the board, "Yahweh."
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

tmoore952

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on November 18, 2023, 06:36:14 PM

The episode is here on the J! Archive.

The post in question is this one:
Quote from: Jim on March 17, 2011, 09:21:21 PM
Today's "Jeopardy!" episode had a Double Jeopardy! category "On The Highway" all about U.S. Highways.

For $400: U.S. Highway 20 from Boston to the west coast has this distinction; it used to be No. 2.

For $800: U.S. 66 runs from Chicago to L.A.; this devilishly numbered route runs from Monticello, Utah to Douglas, Arizona.

For $1200: 2,400-mile U.S. Highway 1 runs from Fort Kent in this state all the way down to Florida.

For $1600: Follow the 240 miles of U.S. 44 to make the "pilgrimage" from Kerhonksen, N.Y. to this Mass. bay city.

For $2000: The eastern end of U.S. 30 is in Atlantic City; the western end is in Astoria, a continent away in this state.

Why do I feel that I would not be lucky enough to get this category if I ever went on Jeopardy!?  And I wonder how Alex Trebek would react when I pointed out the flaws in his $800 question?

Just for the record, the category was "Or the Highway," making a pun with the previous category on the board, "Yahweh."

Thanks for the corrections.

1995hoo

To link to a specific post, right-click on the subject line for the post you want to link, select the option to copy the link, then paste it into the post editor window for the new post you're typing. To link a whole thread, make sure the first post in the thread is the one that's displaying as the lead post (easiest way is to click that post's subject line) and then copy and paste its URL. (Method for doing this on a mobile device may vary, but the key is to get the URL for the post or thread you want to link.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Flint1979

What is Texas? But as far as when it airs here, it airs at 7:00 and Wheel of Fortune airs at 7:30 on WNEM TV-5. In Detroit it's the other way around Wheel of Fortune airs at 7:00 and Jeopardy at 7:30 on WDIV Local 4.

1995hoo

As far as I can tell, Jeopardy didn't air at all here yesterday. It usually airs at 7:30 on the local ABC affiliate. Last night Monday Night Countdown preempted it and they didn't re-air it sometime after midnight the way they usually do.  :angry:

Big John

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 21, 2023, 08:26:44 AM
As far as I can tell, Jeopardy didn't air at all here yesterday. It usually airs at 7:30 on the local ABC affiliate. Last night Monday Night Countdown preempted it and they didn't re-air it sometime after midnight the way they usually do.  :angry:
It aired yesterday where I live.
https://thejeopardyfan.com/2023/11/final-jeopardy-11-20-2023.html

Scott5114

Quote from: Flint1979 on November 21, 2023, 07:57:19 AM
What is Texas?

I've been asking myself that question for decades and I just can't quite figure it out.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

TheHighwayMan3561

What is Texas?

Uh...stupid? (That's from SpongeBob, before anyone gets aggravated)
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

LilianaUwU

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on November 21, 2023, 06:14:35 PM
What is Texas?

Uh...stupid? (That's from SpongeBob, before anyone gets aggravated)
Patrick Star was spitting facts, though.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Big John

There was an Interstate Highways category on today's show.

ZLoth

With all of those Interstate miles, Texas has only one North-South interstate, I-35, that stretches the entire state. The other significant North-South Interstate, I-45, only goes between Houston and Dallas before it becomes hidden I-345, then US-75.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

kphoger

Quote from: ZLoth on March 28, 2024, 07:35:25 PMWith all of those Interstate miles, Texas has only one North-South interstate, I-35, that stretches the entire state. The other significant North-South Interstate, I-45, only goes between Houston and Dallas before it becomes hidden I-345, then US-75.

If it weren't for the Panhandle, Texas would only have one east-west Interstate stretching from coat to cost border to border.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JoePCool14

Quote from: Big John on March 28, 2024, 07:15:18 PMThere was an Interstate Highways category on today's show.

Nice. Hopefully they upload the category to the YouTube channel soon.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

CtrlAltDel

Here are the answers.

200$
After visiting Michael Jackson's family home in Gary, Ind., enjoy views of this Great Lake off I-94 East as you enter Benton Harbor

400$
Put Kingman in your rear view, cruise I-40 & you'll be in Standin' on the Corner Park in this Arizona city in 3 hours

600$
Columbia is about midway between these 2 same-state Midwest cities that squared off in the I-70 World Series in 1985

800$
Enjoy 1,700 miles of the I-95 system, south from Bangor to this 2-word city whose name comes from Spanish for "mouse's mouth"

1,000$
It's about 2 1/2 hours going west on I-80 from Davenport to this state capital

The 600$ clue was a daily double, answered incorrectly by the contestant.

State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

triplemultiplex

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on March 29, 2024, 11:41:47 AM800$
Enjoy 1,700 miles of the I-95 system, south from Bangor to this 2-word city whose name comes from Spanish for "mouse's mouth"

"Raton" = "Rat"; Boca Raton = Rat Mouth.
Unless Spanish doesn't distinguish between rats and mice?
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: triplemultiplex on March 29, 2024, 12:02:52 PM"Raton" = "Rat"; Boca Raton = Rat Mouth.

The word for rat in Spanish is "rata." Mouse is "ratón."

Also, and far more importantly, I-95 makes it a bit father south than Boca.

Molandfreak

Quote from: triplemultiplex on March 29, 2024, 12:02:52 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on March 29, 2024, 11:41:47 AM800$

"Raton" = "Rat"; Boca Raton = Rat Mouth.
"Ratón" is actually the word for mouse, "rato" or "rata" are the words for rat.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on March 29, 2024, 12:20:19 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on March 29, 2024, 12:02:52 PM"Raton" = "Rat"; Boca Raton = Rat Mouth.

Yeah, I didn't get this one because I wasn't even thinking of places that far north.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kphoger

By the way, rata and ratón have always seemed flip-flopped to me.  The -ón ending generally means a bigger version of the original.

caja (box) / cajón (drawer)
silla (chair) / sillón (easy chair)

But, in this particular case, it's the opposite:  rats are bigger than mice.  For what it's worth, it's also flip-flopped with calle (street) and callejón (alley).
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on March 29, 2024, 01:53:40 PMBy the way, rata and ratón have always seemed flip-flopped to me.  The -ón ending generally means a bigger version of the original.

caja (box) / cajón (drawer)
silla (chair) / sillón (easy chair)

But, in this particular case, it's the opposite:  rats are bigger than mice.  For what it's worth, it's also flip-flopped with calle (street) and callejón (alley).

Bozon.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on March 29, 2024, 12:20:19 PM

But notice the clue didn't purport to say that was the southern end, just as it didn't say that Bangor is the northern end.

formulanone

Yes, but most folks from or near Boca Raton just call it "Rat's Mouth". It came from a description of a nearby inlet.

ZLoth

Quote from: kphoger on March 28, 2024, 07:55:30 PM
Quote from: ZLoth on March 28, 2024, 07:35:25 PMWith all of those Interstate miles, Texas has only one North-South interstate, I-35, that stretches the entire state. The other significant North-South Interstate, I-45, only goes between Houston and Dallas before it becomes hidden I-345, then US-75.

If it weren't for the Panhandle, Texas would only have one east-west Interstate stretching from coat to cost border to border.

True, but then again, Interstate 10, with it's 881 miles in Texas alone, is the longest Interstate segment within a single state, and makes up 35.8% of the total highway length. 32.5% of it's length, or 779 miles, is west of Texas, and 31.7% of it's length, or 780 miles, is east of Texas. The shortest segment of Interstate 10 is within the state of Alabama at 66 miles. I think one of the shortest interstate segment within a state has to be Interstate 86 in Waverly, NY/South Waverly, PA where the main segment of Interstate 86 briefly dips into Pennsylvania for a mile terminating at route 34.

I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.