News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Cuomo Signs

Started by machias, October 21, 2016, 12:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

Quote from: cl94 on December 09, 2016, 09:23:59 AM
Quote from: roadman on December 09, 2016, 09:20:35 AM
Quote from: SignBridge on December 08, 2016, 08:11:23 PM
I just realized half of these signs will probably get knocked down in snowstorms this winter, like happens to a lot of signs every winter.

Actually, it's very unusual for extruded panel signs on steel beam supports to get knocked down by snowstorms.  What typically happens in those rare instances when such a sign is hit by a severe blast of snow (usually from a plow, and not the storm itself) is that the breakaway hinges will fail, causing the panel to flop over on the back of the posts.

Minor detail: New York doesn't use extruded signs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6GuEswXOXo

Correct, I've revised my original post.  Appreciate the clarification.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

cl94

It's a common mistake. We're one of the few states where none of the major transportation agencies use extruded signs.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jakeroot

Quote from: cl94 on December 12, 2016, 03:12:20 PM
It's a common mistake. We're one of the few states where none of the major transportation agencies use extruded signs.

I'm pretty sure it's just New York, North Carolina, Florida, Washington (state), and Virginia, right? A veritable who's who of rounded-corner sign panels (excluding Washington :-/)

Rothman

Quote from: kalvado on December 10, 2016, 01:41:15 PM
Quote from: Rothman on December 10, 2016, 12:05:10 AM
I often wonder what the freak happened to this sign:

https://goo.gl/maps/J2qDUCiMzFt

It's a little skewed in the Google View, but it got a lot worse where the supports were totally bent.

I believe they claimed wind was the problem. If someone saved on steel railings... That is a big sign on long straight road...
The supports were sizeable.  Amazing if only wind took that thing down.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

Quote from: jakeroot on December 12, 2016, 04:10:22 PM
Quote from: cl94 on December 12, 2016, 03:12:20 PM

I'm pretty sure it's just New York, North Carolina, Florida, Washington (state), and Virginia, right? A veritable who's who of rounded-corner sign panels (excluding Washington :-/)

Think so. DC switched to extruded relatively recently. New Jersey is split (NJDOT uses extruded, NJTA doesn't).
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

SignBridge

Are there any notable pros and cons re: extruded vs. incremental signs that cause states to choose one or the other? I always preferred New York's signs because of the better looking rounded off corners and extruded signs sometimes have that crappy rippled appearance on the sign-face.

Mergingtraffic

I hate the Cuomo signs as much as anyone and think it's to feed the Gov's ego just like NY-198; with that said, I'm playing devil's advocate here......

In the fed's eyes, what makes the Cuomo sign's different than the logo services or adopt a highway signs?  I could see NY making the case that they're similar.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

cl94

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on December 15, 2016, 03:01:48 PM
I hate the Cuomo signs as much as anyone and think it's to feed the Gov's ego just like NY-198; with that said, I'm playing devil's advocate here......

In the fed's eyes, what makes the Cuomo sign's different than the logo services or adopt a highway signs?  I could see NY making the case that they're similar.

They have a URL. That's the big one. Can't have a URL on a sign.

machias

A logo or adopt-a-highway sign tells you something about that particular location. Both give specific information for a specific location. The Cuomo signs do not. There is no action associated with these sign aside from the passive app download. These function like billboards, not traffic guidance. These messages should be on billboards.

cl94

Quote from: upstatenyroads on December 16, 2016, 08:05:09 AM

A logo or adopt-a-highway sign tells you something about that particular location. Both give specific information for a specific location. The Cuomo signs do not. There is no action associated with these sign aside from the passive app download. These function like billboards, not traffic guidance. These messages should be on billboards.

The app and the tourism website. That is literally the only thing the signs are good for.

MikeCL

Near the RFK bridge I see they put up a huge electronic one.. IMHO VERY BAD placement.. if anyone knows the Bruckner expressway and that sharp curve where you can stay to the left for Queens or the right for Manhattan I came around the curve and all I saw was it shifting by it sliding and fading to a different pattern.. my first thing out of my mouth was WTF...

I wished I had got a picture but they were doing road work in that area and the merge is no fun at all.

cl94

There's a set on either set of NY 17 Exit 96 that went up at some point. Interesting placement.

MikeCL

Link of the area

https://goo.gl/maps/jH1x5f8nTXn

That sign must be new I got tired of taking the FDR to get to Cadman plaza

cl94

That's definitely new. It was a diagrammatic when I was through there last summer.

MikeCL

Quote from: cl94 on February 01, 2017, 12:25:25 AM
That's definitely new. It was a diagrammatic when I was through there last summer.
Hmm never noticed it before I still don't think it's a good spot to have a animated Cuomo sign however.

vdeane

I wonder if that's part of Cuomo's bridge AET project.

Quote from: cl94 on January 31, 2017, 11:19:40 PM
There's a set on either set of NY 17 Exit 96 that went up at some point. Interesting placement.
That's right around the Catskill Park boundary.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

I know, except the EB set is inside the park

route17fan

John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

machias

Quote from: route17fan on February 07, 2017, 02:17:08 PM
More Cuomo signs coming in D263370. Link - https://www.dot.ny.gov/doing-business/opportunities/const-contract-docs?p_d_id=D263370

Pretty sure those Cuomo signs are already there. Notes on the plans say to retain existing signs.

vdeane

According to Newsday, the Cuomo Signs are on hold while NYSDOT negotiates with the FHWA.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Cuomo signs on expressways have been there for months. As far as the ones planned for surface roads at the borders, who knows if they'll ever go up.

SignBridge

To add to vdeane's comment, according to Long Island's Newsday, as per negotiations between NYS and the FHWA no more of these signs will be erected and discussions are continuing to work out a disposition for the exisiting signs. The Feds still threaten to cut one-billion dollars in annual highway funding if the existing signs are not taken down. Not a small chunk of change....

hbelkins

Quote from: SignBridge on February 07, 2017, 09:03:23 PM
To add to vdeane's comment, according to Long Island's Newsday, as per negotiations between NYS and the FHWA no more of these signs will be erected and discussions are continuing to work out a disposition for the exisiting signs. The Feds still threaten to cut one-billion dollars in annual highway funding if the existing signs are not taken down. Not a small chunk of change....

With all this talk about how the Trump administration cannot withhold federal funding from sanctuary cities that defy federal law and edicts on immigration, how could this threat from the feds hold up?

Of course my position that the feds shouldn't be so heavy-handed about signage is a minority one around here...

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cl94

Not your tax dollars. There has been major local opposition to these signs and the cost that could be spent on other projects.

kalvado

Quote from: hbelkins on February 08, 2017, 10:36:17 AM
Quote from: SignBridge on February 07, 2017, 09:03:23 PM

With all this talk about how the Trump administration cannot withhold federal funding from sanctuary cities that defy federal law and edicts on immigration, how could this threat from the feds hold up?

Of course my position that the feds shouldn't be so heavy-handed about signage is a minority one around here...
Problem is where to draw a line. Sanctuary cities, as far as I understand, just say that enforcement of immigration laws is not their business. Not explicitly defying regulations - just not enforcing them. If you will, it is pretty much the same as not checking federal tax return status when pulling over for speeding.
Here we're talking about explicit violation of mandate - and (unlike immigration enforcement) a funded mandate to maintain roads by certain standards.
On the other hand, there already a precedent of feds effectively looking the other way - with all marijuana state laws.
I don't know where this would settle - but I am really afraid of Cuomo going out of control once he feels he can get away with that. Especially with Trump in the office, and Cuomo being almost official enemy of Trump. This way Cuomo can get significant support, especially in NYC, with any action against feds - however stupid that action would be.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.