News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Arby's to buy Jimmy John's

Started by US71, September 25, 2019, 01:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJRoadfan

Jimmy John's is a sad excuse for a "sub". The local one didn't last very long because the sandwiches were pathetic, bland, and expensive. Ironically it replaced a closed Quizno's, which was better albeit very expensive. Why bother when you have some of the best delis in the country on practically every street corner here in NJ.

In terms of chains, the best one locally is PrimoHoagies, great bread and they aren't afraid to put meat and cheese on the sub. I only visit Jersey Mike's out of state, but they are amazingly consistent to the Pt. Pleasant original. They are the only national chain I've found that does the oil/vinegar mix the way NJ delis usually do it.

hbelkins

I've never had Firehouse. Also never had Penn Station, but I understand they have fries, which would be a drawing point for me. Subway doesn't and neither does Jimmy John's. It's also a big reason why I prefer Sheetz over Wawa. Wawa's subs/hoagies/whatever might be better, but even if you get one there -- which, admittedly, I usually don't get one at Sheetz -- you can't get fries or other fried items with it. I'll often get the chicken sandwich at Sheetz with the App Sampler box. Sheetz' fried cheese curds are better than Culver's.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MNHighwayMan

hbelkins

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on September 28, 2019, 03:59:26 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on September 28, 2019, 03:27:47 PM
Sheetz' fried cheese curds are better than Culver's.

Impossible.

Very possible. The batter on Culver's seems to be breaded, almost like corn meal. Sheetz (and Zaxby's, for that matter) have a smoother coating.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: Jim on September 28, 2019, 01:23:30 PM
The meat slicer can get to be a bottleneck, too, especially when they basically stop serving the in-person line to fill large online takeout orders.  I don't go if I am in a big rush, just in case.  I've also never seen a place have so much trouble running their register.

I reluctantly went to Jack In the Box a couple of weeks ago.  I can't get to sleep if I eat or drink sugar or caffeine in the evening, but I need carbonated beverages to help digest fast food.  I try to find places that have Coke Freestyle machines, or otherwise serve diet caffeine-free drinks.  Jack In the Box has really gone downhill recently, but they were the only place available in Seattle's U-District now that the Pizzeria Pagliacci closed.  They were slammed, as usual.  One grill worker, who kept making mistakes.  One person taking orders.  Maybe someone taking drive-thru orders, and the manager.  When I got to the front of the line, they stopped taking orders until they could catch up.  I wondered if I could download the Jack In the Box app and place an order before they started taking orders again.  I couldn't, because I got caught up in trying to verify my identity by email.

kphoger

Quote from: DandyDan on September 28, 2019, 04:41:10 AM
Of course, now that I live in Mason City, I'm stuck with Jimmy John's and Subway, unless I get up early enough to go to one of the local restaurants. Of course, this requires me to want to eat out at noon, which I don't like doing.

Have you tried the sandwiches at Perkins?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 25, 2019, 10:36:20 PM
The Subway bread is the only good thing about a Subway hoagie. If you order a Subway hoagie with absolutely nothing but the bread, honestly you're better off that way.

Provided it hasn't been out of the oven - excuse me - "baking center" - too long.  Otherwise, it tastes stale.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

US71

Quote from: roadman on September 30, 2019, 02:27:10 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 25, 2019, 10:36:20 PM
The Subway bread is the only good thing about a Subway hoagie. If you order a Subway hoagie with absolutely nothing but the bread, honestly you're better off that way.

Provided it hasn't been out of the oven - excuse me - "baking center" - too long.  Otherwise, it tastes stale.

Quote from: hbelkins on September 28, 2019, 06:48:34 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on September 28, 2019, 03:59:26 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on September 28, 2019, 03:27:47 PM
Sheetz' fried cheese curds are better than Culver's.

Impossible.

Very possible. The batter on Culver's seems to be breaded, almost like corn meal. Sheetz (and Zaxby's, for that matter) have a smoother coating.

Maybe it's dipped in batter rather than breaded ?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

paulthemapguy

Wait, Arby's owns BWW?  That explains a LOT lmao  :rofl:

Jersey Mike's > Which Wich > Subway > Jimmy John's

I lived for 4 years in the land of Jimmy John's (they're based in Champaign-Urbana) and have really found a distaste for the place.  Not only does their food turn my stomach, possibly due to some weird preservative they put in their bread, but it also turns my stomach to have found photos of Jimmy John poaching endangered animals in Africa.  There's a picture of him next to a dead elephant he slaughtered.  Was that elephant a threat to you?  How small do you have to feel in order to think you need to kill and dominate an animal that docile and peaceful?  I know there's a whole debate about animal rights and stuff like that, and I don't go too far into it, nor do I want to.  I'm not a vegan or anything.  But that kind of killing is just wasteful and damaging imo.  Making use of animals is fine--let's just maybe not cause absolute extinctions.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

US71

Quote from: paulthemapguy on October 08, 2019, 01:24:15 PM

And Wendy's owns Arby's.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

ilpt4u

Quote from: US71 on October 08, 2019, 01:30:33 PM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on October 08, 2019, 01:24:15 PM

And Wendy's owns Arby's.
Wendys used to own Arbys. I believe that Merger ended in a break up...The Wendys Wiki page has a good, quick summary of the Arbys/Wendys merged times...Wendys may still own a small minority stake in Arby's/BW3s/etc Parent Company, but I have not researched it that closely

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.