News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Iowa speed limits

Started by Revive 755, March 03, 2009, 10:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

It would be nice if Iowa would post speed limits like South Dakota - 75 for interstates, 70 for expressways, 65 for two lane roads.

Greybear

You can now run 60 mph on parts of I-235 in the Des Moines area, except for the downtown stretch, which is still posted 55 mph.

SSOWorld

755, Iowa's generous compared to two of it's neighbor states as far as speed limits go.  WI and IL only allow 65 - and I don't forsee that changing anytime soon.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Revive 755

As long as we have this thread . . . does anyone here know anything about the study regarding the I-80/I-380 cloverleaf at Coralville?  I haven't seen or heard anything about the study for replacing the loops with semi-direct ramps since early 2007.

Terry Shea

Quote from: Master son on March 04, 2009, 09:35:24 AM
755, Iowa's generous compared to two of it's neighbor states as far as speed limits go.  WI and IL only allow 65 - and I don't forsee that changing anytime soon.
Unless Obama decrees it so.  :)

SSOWorld

If anyone at the federal level would decree a speed limit, we'd be looking at 55 again, and I don't want that :pan:
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

Terry Shea

Quote from: Master son on March 30, 2009, 09:31:21 AM
If anyone at the federal level would decree a speed limit, we'd be looking at 55 again, and I don't want that :pan:
Yeah, you're right.  Going to fast causes "global warming".       :rolleyes:

mightyace

Technically, we never had a national speed limit because the U.S. constitution prohibits that because it is one of the rights held by the states.

What it really was, and the National Drinking Age is, is tying federal transportation money to having a state law on the books.  Thus, serving the letter of the constitution while trampling on the spirit of it!  :evilgrin:

Now some states, like Montana, made only token compliance to that as speeding violations were a "no points" violation with a $5 fine payable to the officer that stopped you.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

SSOWorld

QuoteWhat it really was, and the National Drinking Age is, is tying federal transportation money to having a state law on the books.  Thus, serving the letter of the constitution while trampling on the spirit of it!
and the "move-over" law
Scott O.

Raise your what?

Great Lakes Roads

I am sorry if I bring this thread from the dead, but there is a bill on the table that if passed, will raise the speed limits on interstates to 75, controlled access, divided, multilane highways to 70, and other multilane highways to 65. That will also come with double the fines for speeding.

https://iowatorch.com/2022/02/16/iowa-senate-panel-tables-bill-increasing-speed-limit-on-highways/

SD Mapman

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on February 20, 2022, 08:41:30 PM
I am sorry if I bring this thread from the dead, but there is a bill on the table that if passed, will raise the speed limits on interstates to 75, controlled access, divided, multilane highways to 70, and other multilane highways to 65. That will also come with double the fines for speeding.

https://iowatorch.com/2022/02/16/iowa-senate-panel-tables-bill-increasing-speed-limit-on-highways/
Honestly, they could just raise the speed limit to 75 on the rural parts of I-29 and that would work, since it's the de facto NS interstate for eastern NE (which is a 75 state). Sounds like the bill that was tabled had some issues that need to be worked through before they do anything with it.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

sprjus4

^ Sort of a similar situation to I-49 in Missouri.

I-49 is 70 mph between I-44 and Kansas City due to being in Missouri and its max speed limit of 70 mph, though the parallel US-69 freeway across the Kansas line is 75 mph. It's not a viable alternative to I-49, however, since it only goes about half the distance of I-49 with the remainder being non-freeway.

mvak36

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 21, 2022, 11:54:02 AM

I-49 is 70 mph between I-44 and Kansas City due to being in Missouri and its max speed limit of 70 mph, though the parallel US-69 freeway across the Kansas line is 75 mph. It's not a viable alternative to I-49, however, since it only goes about half the distance of I-49 with the remainder being non-freeway.

Kansas does have plans (although no funding) to eventually make the non-freeway sections freeway. They have come up during the Local Consult meetings for the IKE program but none of those projects have been selected yet because there are bigger priorities statewide.

If they do build it in my lifetime, I'm definitely going to go 80 mph down the whole stretch.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

sprjus4

Quote from: mvak36 on February 21, 2022, 12:14:04 PM

Kansas does have plans (although no funding) to eventually make the non-freeway sections freeway. They have come up during the Local Consult meetings for the IKE program but none of those projects have been selected yet because there are bigger priorities statewide.

If they do build it in my lifetime, I'm definitely going to go 80 mph down the whole stretch.
Freeway all the way down to I-44?

Given the existence of I-49, it would seem redundant. But I suppose.

mvak36

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 21, 2022, 06:52:33 PM
Quote from: mvak36 on February 21, 2022, 12:14:04 PM

Freeway all the way down to I-44?

Given the existence of I-49, it would seem redundant. But I suppose.

There's a small part that Missouri would have to build to convert to a freeway, but Kansas could build it all the way to the border.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

sprjus4

I-49 is already a full freeway between Kansas City and I-44.

US-69 has a long way to go.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SSOWorld on March 30, 2009, 02:18:50 PM
QuoteWhat it really was, and the National Drinking Age is, is tying federal transportation money to having a state law on the books.  Thus, serving the letter of the constitution while trampling on the spirit of it!
and the "move-over" law

Since the topic has brought back up, technically the federal ruling didn't require a state law. They only required that the states post nothing higher than a 55 limit.

There's no funding restriction without a Move Over law.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.