Tulsa Metro Highways | Small projects and construction

Started by Plutonic Panda, February 11, 2022, 05:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tulsaweather

Update:  US-169 overpass project to rehab expansion joints is about to switch to east side of overpasses NB at 55th and the RR just south of 51st Street South.

SB Looks like they're about switch to west side lanes over 71st and 81st already.

81st street between Memorial/Sheridan about to move to new lanes (eventually the EB side) while the new WB side gets built.
Yale Ave between 81st and 91st about to reopen to one lane each direction (thinking end of July).

bugo

They're going to open one lane of Yale in July? They had better hurry up if they plan on doing that.

tulsaweather

Quote from: bugo on June 15, 2022, 05:31:33 PM
They're going to open one lane of Yale in July? They had better hurry up if they plan on doing that.

Agreed, but that's what the project manager is thinking/dreaming/hoping-LOL.

"Project Manager Elliot Stiles:  the wall being built to widen the road is coming up and soon the road closed signs will be coming down.

"When we reach the end of July that is when we are going start looking at reopening to traffic, so our plan is to reopen on the 26th of July,"  Stiles explained."

https://www.fox23.com/news/city-tulsas-road-work-81st-yale-begins-phase-two/6QLUA5AY7NEEBNFA5XGIXXRHSI/

bugo

I was at 81st and Yale about 4 hours ago, and I didn't see any evidence of construction other than the road closed signs.

Plutonic Panda

The Tulsa area has received several RAISE Grants:

QuoteTulsa, Jenks transportation projects get federal infrastructure grants

OKLAHOMA CITY – Officials on Thursday announced the receipt of federal grants totaling millions of dollars for transportation projects in Tulsa and Jenks, including one that will reconnect 51st Street under U.S. 75.

The projects are among six totaling $48.7 million for Oklahoma from the federal government's Rebuilding American Infrastructure with Sustainability and Equity funds. Total allocations so far this year have totaled $2.2 billion.

The Oklahoma Department of Transportation received $10 million in federal RAISE funds to reconstruct one mile of West 51st Street by reconnecting two ends of the street under U.S. 75.

The project will include a sidewalk along the entire length, a new pedestrian bridge over a railroad and a new connection to the Arkansas River trail system.

The project includes the construction of new bridges on U.S. 75 over 51st Street, as well as bridges on the southbound to westbound and westbound to northbound ramps in the Interstate 44-U.S. 75 interchange, the grant application says.

People are also reading...

The project is expected to reconnect neighborhoods that were severed with the construction of U.S. 75 more than 60 years ago, the Oklahoma Department of Transportation said in its grant application.

Check out our latest digital-only offer and subscribe now
Oklahoma Transportation Secretary Tim Gatz said the project will have a bicycle and pedestrian component to tie into the trails on the river.

The I-44 and U.S. 75 interchange in the same area is currently under construction, he noted, adding that that the $250 million interchange is being built in phases.

"This 51st Street connection is a phase of that project that was pretty important,"  Gatz said. "It ties everything back together as we continue with construction."

In addition, the Indian Nations Council of Governments will receive $16.2 million to provide a multimodal trail system in connection with the south Tulsa and Jenks dam project that will separate bicyclists and pedestrians from motorized traffic along the east and west banks of the Arkansas River.

The project also includes several sustainable projects, such as low-impact development to protect water resources, electric-vehicle charging stations and a land buffer along the river to reduce erosion.

The funds will allow officials to build a trail system connecting Jenks, Tulsa and Muscogee Nation communities, said Jenks Mayor Cory Box.

The west bank connection will connect Jenks with trails on the west side of the river to Tulsa and the Turkey Mountain Urban Wilderness.

It is also another step closer to making the south Tulsa and Jenks low-water dam a reality, Box said.

Tulsa Mayor G.T. Bynum said this moves the area "one step closer to realizing a dream Tulsans have had for over 50 years and is yet another reminder of the better city we can build when we work together."

In 2016, both Jenks and Tulsa residents passed Vision Tulsa ballot measures to invest in the Arkansas River by building a low-water dam between the river's south Tulsa and Jenks banks. The dam is expected to have a major economic impact along that stretch of the river.

With the multimodal trail system funded, officials said they are close to closing the loop on funding the dam project.

"For 50 years, city leaders have envisioned developing two lakes in our river,"  said Tulsa City Councilor Phil Lakin. "This project will give us unlimited opportunities to enjoy the outdoors, exercise and gather as a community."

- https://tulsaworld.com/news/state-and-regional/tulsa-jenks-transportation-projects-get-federal-infrastructure-grants/article_7eff8ee8-1998-11ed-92b9-bbf9a4f3df9c.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

bugo

Yale Avenue between 81st and 91st is now open to traffic. Only two lanes are open, mostly on the original alignment, but there are lots of signs of construction.

Plutonic Panda

Oklahoma Department of Transportation officials open new lanes over Keetonville Hill

QuoteThose driving between Claremore and Owasso took a different turn Thursday morning after the Oklahoma Department of Transportation opened up the new four-lane highway over the top of Keetonville Hill.

https://www.publicradiotulsa.org/local-regional/2022-09-01/oklahoma-department-of-transportation-officials-open-new-lanes-over-keetonville-hill

CoreySamson

Quote from: bugo on August 14, 2022, 07:25:03 PM
Yale Avenue between 81st and 91st is now open to traffic. Only two lanes are open, mostly on the original alignment, but there are lots of signs of construction.
Just drove this a couple days ago. Lots and lots of work happening on this stretch of road. I could be wrong, but it almost looks like the NB lanes and SB lanes are being built at different heights as a result of the steep hill it traverses. It looks like retaining walls are being built. Also the 81st project is looking pretty good; new pavement is almost completely poured from what I can tell.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

In_Correct

I Hate Bad Drawings Made By Bad Peoples:

https://www.publicradiotulsa.org/local-regional/2022-09-01/oklahoma-department-of-transportation-officials-open-new-lanes-over-keetonville-hill

PRT Header Color

classical 88.7 | public radio 89.5

KWGS Public Radio Tulsa

Local & Regional
Oklahoma Department of Transportation officials open new lanes over Keetonville Hill
Public Radio Tulsa | By Cassidy Mudd
Published September 1, 2022 at 5:38 PM CDT

hw_20_construction_powered_parachute

A photo of the ongoing construction on State Highway 20 taken by Michael Mudd from a powered parachute on July 29, 2022.

Those driving between Claremore and Owasso took a different turn Thursday morning after the Oklahoma Department of Transportation opened up the new four-lane highway over the top of Keetonville Hill.

T.J. Gerlach with the transportation department said the new road is part of ODOT's ongoing project to help make the area's commute safer for drivers.

"The new main line of highway 20 is going to eliminate the curvy portion at the bottom of the hill, and that's a very high maintenance area for us," Gerlach said.

Over the past several years, Gerlach said crews have struggled to manage the portion of State Highway 20 on Keetonville Hill due to a number of issues caused by landslides.

"You know, rocks and stuff come down from up above," Gerlach explained. "Especially during heavy rainfalls and such, the surface of the road itself gets undermined and slides down the hill."

Gerlach said the old portion of Highway 20 will be turned over to Rogers County officials who will decide what to do with the road next.

In the meantime, transportation crews will continue working to finish the project.

Cassidy Mudd

Before making her way to Public Radio Tulsa, KWGS News Director Cassidy Mudd worked as an assignment editor and digital producer at a local news station. Her work has appeared on ABC, CBS, and NBC affiliates across the country.

© 2022 Public Radio Tulsa
800 South Tucker Drive
Tulsa, OK 74104
(918) 631-2577

A listener-supported service of The University of Tulsa

Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Plutonic Panda

The US-62 bridges over the Arkansas river were reportedly demolished by explosives this morning as part of the replacement project. Anyone have any footage?

BigOkie

bugo

Some pictures of the construction along Yale between 81st and 91st that were taken on December 5, 2022.

rte66man

What did they do with all the fill they've removed? Looks like they removed a lot of the grade.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

bugo

Some pictures of the construction along Yale Aveue headed southbound between 81st and 91st that were taken on May 18, 2023.

bugo

81st between Sheridan and Memorial is virtually finished. Only one lane is open eastbound, but the road looks otherwise complete except for a couple of signs that need to be installed.

Plutonic Panda

FYI, google maps has updated their aerial imagery for the Tulsa area and it shows many road projects underway like this one at RT 66 and the 44: Dropped pin
https://maps.app.goo.gl/YvE6vE6K1TJs5poD8?g_st=ic

bugo

All four lanes of 81st Street between Sheridan and Memorial are now open and all construction signs and barrels are gone. Now they need to work on Sheridan between 81st and 91st. Does anybody know if there are plans to widen it?

splashflash

Highway 75 bridge repairs causing major traffic delays
One lane is closed heading northbound along Highway 75 at Polecat Creek

TULSA, Okla. – During a routine bridge inspection on Tuesday, crews discovered an 11-inch crack in one of the beams, forcing them to shut down one lane along Highway 75 heading northbound, and it's been a traffic nightmare for drivers ever since.

"This bridge is impacting so many people in our Tulsa community,"  says Sally Mulready.

Mulready is a local real estate agent who lives in the area and spends a majority of her day in her car.

"To have Highway 75 backed up and down to one lane, I tell you it's difficult. There is only that one highway from all things south and Glenpool to really be able to get up to the downtown area,"  she said.

The Oklahoma Department of Transportation says the area most impacted by the bridge repair is on the northbound 75 bridge over Polecat Creek, between the Creek Turnpike and 96th street in Jenks

https://www.kjrh.com/news/local-news/highway-75-bridge-repairs-causing-major-traffic-delays

bugo

The stretch across Polecat Creek and Nickel Creek needs to be redone. The shoulders are narrow, and the guardrail o both sides of the road make it feel claustrophobic and drivers often feel like they have to slow down. I used to drive from Glenpool to I-44/US 75 several days a week, and US 75 isn't a relaxing drive at all, especially at 6am through rush hour. Miserable drive.

swake

Quote from: bugo on July 29, 2023, 10:15:22 PM
The stretch across Polecat Creek and Nickel Creek needs to be redone. The shoulders are narrow, and the guardrail o both sides of the road make it feel claustrophobic and drivers often feel like they have to slow down. I used to drive from Glenpool to I-44/US 75 several days a week, and US 75 isn't a relaxing drive at all, especially at 6am through rush hour. Miserable drive.

ODOT has buying the ROW to redo 75 in Jenks and Glenpool on the 8-year plan. That stretch carries 55k cars a day. In a decade when they get around to replacing those 60 year old bridges and widening that stretch of highway it will likely be 70k a day. The traffic jams will be enormous and it should have been done 20 years ago.

Plutonic Panda

splashflash

From https://m.facebook.com/groups/4131525413606894/posts/6116272488465500/

---The city manager gave an update on the HWY 75 and 141st Street project. The final designs are in from ODOT. The project will not involve the need for any extra right of way by ODOT. It calls for an over pass to go over 141st street with signalization underneath. There will be no access to westbound 146th street if you are coming from the south heading north and no access to eastbound 146th street if you are coming from the north heading south. There also will be no access to Domino's, the sod store, the strip mall with the tag agency, donut shop, Whistler's, pool hall etc. for anyone coming from the north and heading south. Nor will anyone leaving those areas be able to cross the highway and go south. All traffic flowing out of those areas will need to go north to 121st and then come back south. The city understands this may cause a problem for residents and businesses and they asked ODOT to change that plan and ODOT has thus far refused. There is a public hearing on November 28th at the Conference Center from 5:30-7:30 pm where ODOT will present their final plan to the public. Citizens who may have a concern with the plan are urged to attend the hearing and voice those concerns directly to ODOT. The bid timeline for the project is Spring of 2024 with hopeful construction beginning in Summer of 2024. The project is expected to take 10 months to complete at a price tag of $27 million. This is considered a temporary fix as ODOT has long range plans to widen 75 to 6 or even 8 lanes as it comes through Glenpool. Any bridge work done will be done with that expansion in mind so new bridges will not need to be built in the future. That project has not made it onto ODOT's 8 year plan as of yet.

swake

CoreySamson

This has been mentioned on the TM forum, but I don't think it's made it here yet. Several highway designation changes have been made in Sapulpa, which have been discussed in this thread over on TM. I happened to drive through part of Sapulpa today, and snapped a couple of pictures:

This assembly is at the OK 66/OK 117/(former OK 117) intersection on the SE side of Sapulpa, looking west:

GSV of old assembly at this location: https://maps.app.goo.gl/gYUhTKT1omJnU3LB9

This assembly is at the former OK 66/OK 117A intersection, looking north:

GSV of old assembly at this location: https://maps.app.goo.gl/eTJrDy7RtxtWy7NN8

It seems like OK 66 is fully rerouted to the new alignment following OK 117 and OK 117A, while OK 117A has not been decommissioned yet. I unfortunately did not stop by OK 97 or US 75A to see those changes.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

swake

A $57 million project starts Monday to completely rebuild five miles of I-244 in west Tulsa from the I-44 split north to the Arkansas River bridge going into downtown.

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/interstate-244-west-of-downtown-is-going-to-be-a-much-smoother-ride-but-it/article_65233880-c07c-11ee-a9e0-b350fe939177.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.