News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

August 5, 2017 Twin Cities meet

Started by froggie, October 14, 2016, 11:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is(are) the best weekend(s) for you to attend a summer 2017 Twin Cities meet?

July 15-16
July 22-23
July 29-30
August 5-6

froggie

Eating my own crow regarding planning a meet very early, but I'd like to gauge interest and potentially coordinate since there was some discussion in another thread of timing the Alaska and Twin Cities meets for those who might drive out to Alaska and attend both.

I realize that this is the same timeframe that cl is considering for a Southeast Adirondacks meet, but I am limited in my available time window for heading out to Minnesota.

Itinerary is TBD and may be determined by another poll.  That said, if there is anything those of you interested in a Twin Cities meet would like to see, please share.

EDIT:
Date:  Saturday, August 5, 2017
Time:  12:30pm CDT
Location:  the Parking Ramp (local vernacular for garage) at The Shops at West End, St. Louis Park, MN.  Access it from Duke Dr between Gamble Dr and W 16th St.  We'll meet on the 3rd level of the ramp/garage as close to the 394 end as possible.  This should be a fairly safe place for folks to park as we do the tour, which I've estimated will take about 5 hours total.

We will begin by driving and then seeing the recently completed MN 100 upgrade (last segment of that route to be upgraded from its original 1930s/40s configuration).  We will then drive part of the Minneapolis Chain of Lakes parkway system enroute to the river bridges.  We will begin with the historic (National Register and all) Mendota Bridge near Fort Snelling and work our way up the Mississippi, either driving over or walking onto most of the Mississippi River bridges in Minneapolis, concluding with the newly replaced Lowry Ave Bridge.

Time permitting, we will then do a drive by of the just-completed MN 610 freeway, then head back to the start point.  My 5 hour estimate above includes this MN 610 leg.  For those into that sort of thing, my current plan for MN 610 would net the following clinches:  MN 252, MN 610 west of MN 252, MN 101, and US 169 from US 10/MN 101 to I-394.

There will not be a formal lunch for this meet (hence the 12:30 start).  However, I plan on doing lunch at the nearby Noodles & Co. around 11:30am, and those who would like to join me are more than welcome to do so.

hbelkins

I've never been there, but I'd be game for anything.

I selected all four options, but I'm curious as to whether any of them are around the time of the Minnesota State Fair. There's an annual event that's usually held in conjunction with the state fair that I'd like to attend if the meet is in the same time frame.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

Unfortunately, it's not.  Minnesota State Fair is always the 4th Thursday in August through Labor Day.  Because of that timing, we're unable to head west for the fair because our Fall semester has already begun by then.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on October 14, 2016, 05:23:33 PM
Unfortunately, it's not.  Minnesota State Fair is always the 4th Thursday in August through Labor Day.  Because of that timing, we're unable to head west for the fair because our Fall semester has already begun by then.

No Cat Vid Festival for me then.  :-D

A.J. Bertin

I definitely want to attend a Twin Cities meet. I voted for the latter two dates. That means I'll probably cast votes for late July or early August for the Alaska meet.
-A.J. from Michigan

cl94

I voted for the first and last as I want to be at this one. Minneapolis is one of those places I've always wanted to visit. I'll wait to schedule mine until after you guys settle on a date. I'm a little more flexible as I live 45 minutes from the site.

That being said, I won't be there if it's the middle two options. TRB paper deadline is August 1 and, if it's anything like last year, I will be in the office virtually 24/7 starting around the 20th until late on the 1st. My preference, thus, would be an August date, but I could probably make mid-July.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

TheHighwayMan3561

Not going to select a date because I live here, but some side things that could (but probably not) influence your vote:

-If you're a baseball fan, the Twins are home the weekends of the 22-23 and 5-6. The team sucks but the stadium is one of the best in baseball.
-Minneapolis Aquatennial festival is July 19-22 if you want to go Friday or Saturday night post-meet (the fireworks on Saturday night are a huge event).
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

cl94

I'd be up to attending a Twins game if the meet was the 5th/6th and others wanted to as well. It's a stadium I've been wanting to go to.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Neri123

codyg1985

This is one of the meets I am interested in for next year. Right now I don't have a preference on a date, but I definitely want to keep an eye on this one.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

AsphaltPlanet

I'd actually consider this meet too.  Particularly if it coincides with a baseball game.  I've not yet been to Target Field, but that is one of the parks that I would very much like to visit.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

jpi

Not voting at this time, my wife and I are planning on going out west around the 3rd weekend in July but will still keep this on the back burner
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Alps

I can't see this working with the Alaska meet. It would take too many travel days from MPLS to Fairbanks and/or back.

Rothman

Quote from: Alps on October 17, 2016, 05:36:23 PM
I can't see this working with the Alaska meet. It would take too many travel days from MPLS to Fairbanks and/or back.

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Alps

Quote from: Rothman on October 20, 2016, 12:35:10 PM

I find your lack of practicality disturbing.

Rothman

Quote from: Alps on October 20, 2016, 06:32:10 PM
Quote from: Rothman on October 20, 2016, 12:35:10 PM

I find your lack of practicality disturbing.

Practicality is for those who sit at home and watch Anthony Bourdain rather than for those who actually get outside and go somewhere.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

dvferyance

I have considered visiting the Twin Cities in 2017. So it's a possible.

Duke87

I can't see this working with the Alaska meet.

So then don't try to make the two work together. The Twins' ballpark is one my father and I still need to visit so if this meet is a weekend they're in town it's a slam dunk for us (but not if July 15-16, my sister's wedding is that weekend). Meanwhile I'm not driving all the way to Alaska, and my fiancée will be with me for that and my father won't, so if I do both it'd have to be two separate trips anyway.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

froggie

On that note, the Twins are home the weekends of 7/22-23 and 8/5-6.

froggie

I've decided on August 5.  Details will be TBD pending research, MnDOT's summer construction schedule, and any interest in non-road activities.

As I noted in my previous comment, the Twins have a home stand that weekend, against the Rangers.  The Saturday game time is still TBD, but in the event that day doesn't work out, and for those who may come into town the day before, the Friday evening game is at 7:10 CDT.

As for what will be part of the meet, I'll leave that in part to interested attendees.  I'll put a poll out later inquiring as to what folks may be interested in seeing or going to.

SSOWorld

Even with the eclipse later that month (which I'm going to Grand Island for) this meet should be high on my priority list for attending - even if I have to compensate by missing sections of it to allocate funds.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

cl94

Unless something really unexpected comes up, I'll most likely be at this one. I'll likely take a couple days to explore Minneapolis and I'll be able to get a good portion of I-90 that I'm missing.

A.J. Bertin

Thanks, Adam. I will give myself at least an 80 percent chance of attending this. :)
-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

I'm not in a position to go all-in on meet attendance the way I was a few years ago, but this one's been on my radar screen since you announced it. Given that I've never been to the Twin Cities before and I have very only been in Minnesota once, I'm very interested. I'll pencil it on on the calendar.

Not committing myself to any pre- or post-meet activities, since that will quite likely depend on how I route my trip and where I stay the night before and night after, but I'm definitely out for a baseball game. MLB hasn't gotten a dime from me since the 1994 strike and never will again (and that's still hard for me, a lifelong Reds fan, to accept, but they lost me by going on strike.)

cl94

Any updates on this meet, as in is it definitely happening? Just want to know before I buy plane tickets.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.