News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Street Lights That Hung on Wires

Started by Brian556, October 09, 2018, 08:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ErmineNotyours

I finally found one of the older (functional, non-stylish) lights on a wire in Seattle: https://goo.gl/maps/jUTMXqq4Gs62

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: US 89 on October 29, 2018, 01:40:05 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on October 29, 2018, 09:59:15 AM
Quote from: ErmineNotyours on October 28, 2018, 11:37:48 PM
Overhead light wiring in Tacoma:
*snip

Back-in angled parking?

Interesting.

Mike

It's becoming more and more of a thing. Here's an example on 200 South in Salt Lake City, with a Mercedes who apparently figured he didn't need to follow the sign.

The fact that it's still novel in most of the country is strange to me considering how long we've been doing it in NYC. It's so much safer and much easier to pull out.

mrsman

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on October 30, 2018, 12:46:09 AM
*snip

Back-in angled parking?

Interesting.

Mike

It's becoming more and more of a thing. Here's an example on 200 South in Salt Lake City, with a Mercedes who apparently figured he didn't need to follow the sign.

The fact that it's still novel in most of the country is strange to me considering how long we've been doing it in NYC. It's so much safer and much easier to pull out.

It's becoming easier and easier for drivers thanks to rear-view cameras that are becoming standard on newer vehicles. 

Rick1962

Downing Street, Tahlequah, Oklahoma.

SM-G892A

mrose

Street lights or traffic lights?

Suburban Denver has traffic lights on wires all over the place, especially Arvada.

Tonytone

Quote from: mrose on November 17, 2018, 12:00:25 AM
Street lights or traffic lights?

Suburban Denver has traffic lights on wires all over the place, especially Arvada.
Streets lights. I think all traffic lights, either started on poles or hung by pole & wire.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

MCRoads

Quote from: mrsman on November 12, 2018, 01:28:45 PM
Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on October 30, 2018, 12:46:09 AM
*snip

Back-in angled parking?

Interesting.

Mike

It's becoming easier and easier for drivers thanks to rear-view cameras that are becoming standard on newer vehicles.
WTF!!!!

um.... so this is weird. I love parking garages as well as roads, and I always associate angled parking with pulling in.....

WTF!!!
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: MCRoads on November 21, 2018, 09:27:10 PM
WTF!!!!

um.... so this is weird. I love parking garages as well as roads, and I always associate angled parking with pulling in.....

WTF!!!

Drivers hit bicyclists too much when we let them back out of parking spaces, so now we make them pull forward out of parking spaces so they hit them less.

mrsman

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on November 21, 2018, 11:20:27 PM
Quote from: MCRoads on November 21, 2018, 09:27:10 PM
WTF!!!!

WTF!!!

Drivers hit bicyclists too much when we let them back out of parking spaces, so now we make them pull forward out of parking spaces so they hit them less.

Correct.  And in areas with high bicycle traffic (which tends to correlate to a degree with high pedestrian traffic) like NYC, more and more angled parking on the street tends to be back in.  But I imagine that the trend is not extending to parking lots and structures.  And in small towns where there aren't huge bike traffic, it is unlikely that the city will repaint the lines (to reorient parking from front-in to back-in) because if it ain't broken don't fix it.

roadman65

Michigan uses them at almost every intersection on rural state highways.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

architect77

Atlanta has several non-functioning streetlights hanging on wires. I have submitted requests over the years to remove them or getting them working again. They are just debris hanging over Piedmont Ave near Piedmont Park for 50 years and counting if they don't work.

A few years ago they repaired one on Cheshire Br. road and it was on every night until it was apparently shot or hit by something, now just a carcass.

US 89

Quote from: architect77 on December 27, 2018, 09:26:38 PM
Atlanta has several non-functioning streetlights hanging on wires. I have submitted requests over the years to remove them or getting them working again. They are just debris hanging over Piedmont Ave near Piedmont Park for 50 years and counting if they don't work.

A few years ago they repaired one on Cheshire Br. road and it was on every night until it was apparently shot or hit by something, now just a carcass.

Now that you mention it, Atlanta also has several examples of pedestrian signals hanging from overhead wires. Here's an example at Howell Mill Rd and Huff Rd, and another at Lake Avenue and North Avenue.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.