Sierra Club's 50 Best and Worst Transportation Projects In the United States

Started by Grzrd, December 16, 2012, 06:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadsguy

Quote from: deanej on December 22, 2012, 02:41:55 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on December 21, 2012, 11:10:03 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on December 20, 2012, 09:07:19 PM. . . or if he had someone feeding him information, but he frequently referenced posts here (by me and others) on MTR.

This is another thing I don't understand--why would Randy need a third party to "feed" him information?  Logging in does not make any difference to the boards that are visible unless you are a privileged user (I assume this forum has "management" or "committee" boards which are visible only to moderators and other admins, with access linked to their accounts).  Randy could, and did, surf to this forum on his own to find material that was of interest to him.
Actually, the Fictional Freeways and Mass Transit boards are only visible to registered users, though this is a recent development.

Why, exactly? And was this done since June? I definitely saw Fictional before I joined.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

It was done because we'd like new members to join because they initially want to contribute to all the other boards that aren't those two (i.e. we don't want to attract new users who intend to post only in the fictional or transit boards).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Riverside Frwy on December 19, 2012, 02:17:48 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 19, 2012, 08:48:25 AM
Quote from: Riverside Frwy on December 18, 2012, 09:41:36 PM
This list is correct on California. Here we can spend Billions on freeway widenings that absolutely do nothing to alleviate traffic but can barely muster enough for a Westside subway to UCLA that will certainly move hundreds of thousands of people better than Wilshire Bl does now. The buses on Wilshire alone already move close to a half of the people on the corridor. The $1 Billion spent on the I-405 Sepulveda Pass carpool lane would have been better spent on a rail tunnel directly connecting the valley to the Westside.

I am deeply skeptical of the so-called Subway to the  Sea being able to do any of the  things that it has promised.  Why?  Because the land  use does not really support an investment in a heavy  rail line, and buses can move an enormous number of people at much lower capital cost.  Specific examples include the Contraflow bus lane heading to the Lincoln Tunnel in North  Jersey, the I-395 HOV lanes in  Northern Virginia, and, of course, Curitiba, Brazil's bus rapid transit.

I have to respectfully disagree and tell you that you have no clue what you are talking about. The only proposed station that did not have density to justify its cost was the Wilshire/Crenshaw station, which was dropped from the extension. However, the rest of the line hits the densest parts of the city. The Rapid 720 is already crush loaded round the clock with no dedicated bus lanes. The rapid comes every 2 minutes at peak-rush with 0 chance of finding a seat, all that with round the clock 60 foot articulated buses. This is not even counting the local buses on the corridor. Ride the buses first before you start telling me how great the buses are.

A fully grade separated rail line would make the trip in less than half the time of the buses, even beating cars. It's been proven that people are more willing to ride rail than buses. If the buses are already getting that kind of ridership, imagine amount of choice riders who will use the subway.

EDIT: Here's a video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wge79ln6peE

I inadvertently deleted a response to the above, and am only  now going to try it again.

First. why is service to 2 minute headways?  During times of day when the demand is there, LAMTA should be able to run 1 minute headways to serve that demand.  Even doubling  the number of buses running the Wilshire Boulevard corridor should be less expensive than building new rail lines.

Then there is the matter of employment density. 

Are the job densities high enough to support such an expensive rail project? 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.