News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Bridges replaced directly next to the old one

Started by fillup420, September 29, 2019, 08:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

MoDOT recently announced the Long Creek Bridge on MO 86 will be replaced with a bridge next to it.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

rte66man

Quote from: mrsman on July 14, 2020, 08:25:23 PM
Is the original bridge used at all now?  It would seem perfect for bikes.

Nexus 5X

The original intent was to use it as a combination ped/bike crossing but it is on the wrong side of the new bridge. There is a nice plaza at the north end but there is a large wrought iron fence that appears to fully block access.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1442118,-96.0031466,3a,75y,276.93h,93.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZXzuWBi30RiAzr_VptFG9w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Max Rockatansky

Apparently the Rio Dell Bridge on US 101 was built alongside its predecessor circa 1941.  The previous bridge opened in 1914 as part of the Redwood Highway and was condemned once it was replaced. 

Albert

Catching Slough Bridge, built 1993 to replace the old drawbridge next to it.

webny99

Here's one I just noticed the other day: NY 63 over the Genesee River in Geneseo, NY.

Street ViewSatellite View 

US 89

There are a couple of bridges on US 40 in Duchesne County, Utah that were built in 1959 right next to the original bridge:

https://goo.gl/maps/GsHePuwu5fAQQVKP9
https://goo.gl/maps/WSn8FsB5cdfuDm9z9

The old bridges are now closed to traffic, but they're still there and are some of the oldest road structures still standing in Utah. They probably date to the late 1920s.

vdeane

NY 32 over the Mohawk River does this too.  The shift on each side is very obvious.

One that isn't at all obvious is NY 441 over I-490; the old bridge was on the south side and the road used to have two curves and a straight part rather than a uniform curve.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kirbykart

One in Boston, NY: Trevett Road. It's not super obvious because the new alignment is actually at a smoother angle. I'll add GSV soon.

wanderer2575

The I-280 Veterans Glass City Skyway bridge over the Maumee River in Toledo OH was built next to the Craig Memorial Bridge (drawbridge).  The latter is still in use as a surface street and OH-65 was extended south along it to a relocated connection to I-280.

(looking southeast)

D-Dey65

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the replacement for the Governor Harry W. Nice Memorial Bridge.

On a much smaller subject. I read that the Dutchess County Road 26 Bridge over the Metro-North Harlem Line at the site of former Dover Furnace New York Central Railroad station was a 2013 replacement bridge along the same alignment as the older one. However, in every photo I've ever seen of that former station site, two abutments for a much older bridge can be seen.

Stephane Dumas

Does covered bridges count? There's a covered bridge on the Chaudiere River in Quebec at Notre-Dame-des-Pins north of St-Georges who was replaced directly by a new one. The covered bridge is used as a bike path and currently there some restauration work. https://goo.gl/maps/QWce4KwyAA2rR3vA8
https://pontscouverts.com/blogue/pont-perrault/

D-Dey65

Quote from: wanderer2575 on September 19, 2022, 03:15:03 PM
The I-280 Veterans Glass City Skyway bridge over the Maumee River in Toledo OH was built next to the Craig Memorial Bridge (drawbridge).  The latter is still in use as a surface street and OH-65 was extended south along it to a relocated connection to I-280.

(looking southeast)

I see there are a couple of stub ramps on the old bridge.

Flint1979

Quote from: wanderer2575 on September 19, 2022, 03:15:03 PM

(looking southeast)

I remember when they were building that bridge pretty well. Hard to believe it's already about 15 years old.

kennyshark64

I'm highly surprised nobody has mentioned the Sunshine Skyway Bridge over Tampa Bay in Florida (or maybe I missed it).  Anyhoo, when I first saw it around Christmas 1989, there were still remnants of the original bridge (replaced because of a tanker vs. bridge collision in 1980 that killed about 35 people), so it was kind of, well, weird seeing the original-it probably would have scared me more than the current bridge might.  Some of those remnants have been refashioned into fishing piers.  You can see pictures of old next to new in Wikipedia.

Dirt Roads

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.4438556,-81.8398407,3a,15y,316.29h,93.01t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sa8R7_TyG_tLom4z8hQPCYQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

The old "Green Bridge" over the Kanawha River on I-64 in Putnam County, West Virginia now has its main span removed.  I was amazed how close the new structure is to the old structure.  Locals named the old bridge the "Stinky Bridge", as a reference to the small chemical plant in Nitro next to the Interstate that stored Mercaptan, the main additive to natural gas.  Didn't take much of that to "raise a stink".

SteveG1988

Quote from: Dirt Roads on January 17, 2023, 04:50:51 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.4438556,-81.8398407,3a,15y,316.29h,93.01t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sa8R7_TyG_tLom4z8hQPCYQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

The old "Green Bridge" over the Kanawha River on I-64 in Putnam County, West Virginia now has its main span removed.  I was amazed how close the new structure is to the old structure.  Locals named the old bridge the "Stinky Bridge", as a reference to the small chemical plant in Nitro next to the Interstate that stored Mercaptan, the main additive to natural gas.  Didn't take much of that to "raise a stink".

Huh, the project moved fast.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

nexus73

https://www.oregon.gov/odot/Projects/pages/project-details.aspx?project=18578

SR 38 in Oregon had the Scottsburg Bridge replaced with one built adjacent to it. This allowed for a sharp curve on the north end to be smoothed out considerably.  Unique feature: The new bridge has lighted concrete pylons on each end to let motorists know they are present when visual conditions are not at their best.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Dirt Roads on January 17, 2023, 04:50:51 PM

Quote from: SteveG1988 on January 18, 2023, 01:39:06 AM
Huh, the project moved fast.

Oops, I goofed.  This is technically not the correct thread, as the DOH will soon replace the old structure with a new parallel structure to create twin bridges as part of the widening project.

Rick Powell

Quote from: JKRhodes on September 29, 2019, 11:46:39 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 29, 2019, 09:56:02 AM
Yep, this is done quite often.  When the roadway is slightly shifted to the new bridge, it can often be done so that most motorists aren't even aware of the slight shift.

This works well if the road is already somewhat curved. In my lifetime I've seen several bridges replaced in Arizona; the majority of them are on a straight stretch of road. The jog, while not hard to navigate, is pretty obvious. This tends to be amplified due to the fact that the newer bridges tend to have wider decks to accommodate more lanes, shoulders, sidewalks and other safety features. .

However, by the time a third bridge is needed to replace the second, it can often go back on or near the original alignment, straightening things out again. The IL 178 Bridge in North Utica IL is an example of this.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.