News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

The Guess That Bridge thread!

Started by MCRoads, July 20, 2020, 06:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plain

Funny thing is I knew it was over either a canal or a navigable river (and it's obviously a pedestrian crossing or trail), and because of the BGSs on the right I figured it was somewhere in the USA.  Eventually I started checking out the Mohawk Valley and came across this. And I went through all of that to get to something that's right in your backyard lol

Image from GSV

moto g(7) optimo (XT1952DL)

Newark born, Richmond bred

kirbykart

I don't know the name but that is the US 1 bridge near Fort Knox in Maine.

kphoger

Quote from: kirbykart on March 15, 2023, 09:57:01 AM

I don't think so.  The picture shows a multi-lane highway, and the concrete pier has the cables attached in a single column.  The Penobscot Narrows bridge is a two-lane road, and the concrete piers have the cables attached in parallel columns.

This one is stumping me, and I'm not happy about it.   :angry:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

plain

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on March 15, 2023, 10:40:38 AM

I don't think so.  The picture shows a multi-lane highway, and the concrete pier has the cables attached in a single column.  The Penobscot Narrows bridge is a two-lane road, and the concrete piers have the cables attached in parallel columns.

The Penobscot Narrows Bridge also has an observatory up at the top of one of the towers and you can see the windows when you look closely at pictures of said bridge. This bridge doesn't have those.

I know what bridge it is, but I'm not going to say unless the thread stalls for a long time.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

This bridge also looks somewhat similar to another Highway 1 bridge - TCH/BC1 over the Fraser River in Surrey, BC. And there's yet another similar bridge on I-280 near Toledo, but that's not it either.

I did find it, but I'm not going to share it either because I cheated.

dlsterner

Is it the Puente Centenario (Centennial Bridge) in Panama City, Panama?  It carries the Pan-American Highway over the Panama Canal.

kirbykart

Quote from: kphoger on March 15, 2023, 10:40:38 AM

Dang it, it's been so long since I've been to that bridge that I didn't remember what the road underneath looked like. I just looked at those unique support structures and said "yep, that's it".

kphoger

Quote from: dlsterner on March 16, 2023, 02:32:12 AM
Is it the Puente Centenario (Centennial Bridge) in Panama City, Panama?  It carries the Pan-American Highway over the Panama Canal.

I don't think you even need to wait for confirmation.  Here is the Google Maps shot.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

plain

Quote from: kphoger on March 16, 2023, 10:07:17 AM
Quote from: dlsterner on March 16, 2023, 02:32:12 AM

I don't think you even need to wait for confirmation.  Here is the Google Maps shot.

Yep lol that's it

dlsterner

Here is the next bridge to guess.  Images are from GSV with spoiler parts of the image blotted out.  Both pictures are of the same bridge.

I find this bridge's design to be quite interesting.

Good Luck!

iPhone

catch22

Quote from: dlsterner on March 18, 2023, 12:41:12 AM
Here is the next bridge to guess.  Images are from GSV with spoiler parts of the image blotted out.  Both pictures are of the same bridge.

Good Luck!

I-90 Business Loop crossing the Missouri River at Chamberlain, SD.  Traveled across this bridge a long time ago on a family vacation.  If memory serves, it was still US-16 then since there were big chunks of I-90 across SD that weren't completed yet.

Here's my candidate.  Sorry for the bad pic, but maybe that will make it bit more of a challenge.  My photo, from September 2018.

dlsterner

Quote from: catch22 on March 22, 2023, 09:48:07 AM

Good Luck!

I-90 Business Loop crossing the Missouri River at Chamberlain, SD.  Traveled across this bridge a long time ago on a family vacation.  If memory serves, it was still US-16 then since there were big chunks of I-90 across SD that weren't completed yet.

catch22, you are correct!  I thought this bridge was interesting not only because of the "double barreled" design, but that when it was built, it was cobbled together from two existing bridges - hence the two different sized pieces.

Your turn!  (which I see you've already posted)

catch22

Quote from: dlsterner on March 22, 2023, 10:08:22 AM

Good Luck!

catch22, you are correct!  I thought this bridge was interesting not only because of the "double barreled" design, but that when it was built, it was cobbled together from two existing bridges - hence the two different sized pieces.

I had no idea this was made from two different bridges, that is interesting indeed.

For anyone curious, here's the Wikipedia article about the bridge:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chamberlain_Bridge_(Chamberlain,_South_Dakota)

kphoger

Quote from: catch22 on March 22, 2023, 02:39:05 PM

Good Luck!

I had no idea this was made from two different bridges, that is interesting indeed.

Fixed the link.  Darned ending bracket!
Male pronouns, please.

catch22

Quote from: kphoger on March 22, 2023, 02:41:43 PM
Quote from: catch22 on March 22, 2023, 02:39:05 PM

Good Luck!

Fixed the link.  Darned ending bracket!

You got there about 20 seconds before I did.  :)

dlsterner

Here's my candidate.  Sorry for the bad pic, but maybe that will make it bit more of a challenge.  My photo, from September 2018.

catch22, looks like you have us stumped for about a month!  Any chance you might hand out a clue to help us out?

I'm getting a "pedestrian bridge" vibe from the picture rather than a "motor vehicle bridge" ...  Is that accurate, or just a bad guess on my part?

catch22

Quote from: dlsterner on April 22, 2023, 08:11:31 PM

catch22, looks like you have us stumped for about a month!  Any chance you might hand out a clue to help us out?

I'm getting a "pedestrian bridge" vibe from the picture rather than a "motor vehicle bridge" ...  Is that accurate, or just a bad guess on my part?

The bridge carries an active state highway.  I took the picture from the old bridge (now a pedestrian bridge) that this one replaced.  Looking the opposite direction from the camera POV would reveal this:

catch22

Quote from: catch22 on April 24, 2023, 07:29:08 AM
Quote from: dlsterner on April 22, 2023, 08:11:31 PM

The bridge carries an active state highway.  I took the picture from the old bridge (now a pedestrian bridge) that this one replaced.  Looking the opposite direction from the camera POV would reveal this:

One more hint:  It's in Michigan.

jlam

catch22

Quote from: jlam on April 26, 2023, 12:24:19 PM
Eagle River Timber Arch Bridge

Bingo!

For anyone interested, here are the Wikipedia articles about this bridge (with a much better picture than mine), and the bridge it replaced.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_River_Timber_Bridge

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Shore_Drive_Bridge_(Michigan)

jlam

That's a neat place! I'm adding it to my eventual UP trip.

dlsterner

Quote from: jlam on April 26, 2023, 11:43:13 PM

It kind of looks like the Brookport Bridge which carries US 45 across the Ohio River between Paducah KY and Brookport IL.  Is it?

jlam

Quote from: dlsterner on May 28, 2023, 09:47:51 PM
It kind of looks like the Brookport Bridge which carries US 45 across the Ohio River between Paducah KY and Brookport IL.  Is it?
Sorry I took so long to respond. This is correct!

dlsterner

Here is the next bridge to guess.  Shouldn't be too hard.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.