News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Left Lane Camping

Started by webny99, June 01, 2017, 09:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 20, 2017, 01:38:38 PM
Quote from: webny99 on June 01, 2017, 09:03:45 PM
Do you like it? Hate it? Do it yourself?

What are your thoughts on making and enforcing a law "keep right except to pass"? In countries such as Sweden, such a law already exists in the form of "no passing on the right". If you want to pass someone who is in the left lane, you flash them and wait until they get over.

Swedish drivers do something else that I like (on Super-2 highways  and on 2-lane undivided rural arterials - they will move onto the shoulder (when  available, and it  is not always there) to let faster traffic by.

This is not just on long uphills either.

I've seen this in Canada and Mexico, too. Tried it in the USA to let someone past and it baffled her.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Rothman

You have to put your hand out the window and wave them by in the U.S.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bmorrill

Swedish drivers do something else that I like (on Super-2 highways  and on 2-lane undivided rural arterials - they will move onto the shoulder (when  available, and it  is not always there) to let faster traffic by.

Commonly seen behavior in West Texas - it's considered to be the courteous thing to do. The State encourages it so long as the shoulder is sufficiently wide to be able to do it safely.

thenetwork

Quote from: bmorrill on June 21, 2017, 09:14:11 PM

Commonly seen behavior in West Texas - it's considered to be the courteous thing to do. The State encourages it so long as the shoulder is sufficiently wide to be able to do it safely.

Also in the San Antonio/Corpus Christi area as well.

Jim

Have to say driving down much of I-81 in Virginia yesterday made me think of this thread.  If you want to pass someone going 50 MPH in a 70 MPH zone but don't want to exceed 50.5 MPH yourself, maybe you don't need to pass at all.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

1995hoo

The other day we rode across I-75 (Alligator Alley) roundtrip to Naples. My brother-in-law was driving and he's a left-lane camper, tailgater, and late-braker. I found it more than a little hypocritical when he complained about a left-lane hog doing 75 mph (he had been doing about 90, much to our wives' displeasure)–it seems to me that when you've been parked in the left lane for the past 50 miles even though you could have moved over when you weren't passing anyone, you kind of lose standing to complain.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

7/8

I drove with my friend down to Indianapolis on Canada Day weekend (July 1st weekend), and we took turns for the drive. My biggest pet peeve with him is that he's a left-lane camper. He'll see a truck a mile a way and think that justifies him being in the left lane, even though he's only going a few mph faster than the truck! (and someone is already behind him waiting to pass) :pan:

On the way to Indianapolis, he said that he hates when people flash their lights at him to move over, and that he'll purposely speed up to block people from passing after they do that. I was surprised that he would say this, since I don't see anything offensive about flashing your headlights.

On the way back, I was driving I-70 in Eastern IN and was behind a slower driver after we both passed a truck. After waiting a minute, I flashed my headlights to ask them to move over. My friend immediately turns to me and says "did you just flash your headlights" like I committed a crime! I told him that I think it's safer and more polite than passing on the right. And sure enough, the car moved over to let me pass. He didn't say anything after that :-D

One more thing, I found it hypocritical how for the headlight thing, he said he doesn't mind passing others on the right when he needs to, but almost everytime someone passed him on the right, he would curse at them :confused:

LM117

Don't pass left lane campers in Goldsboro, NC unless you want to take a cough syrup bottle to the face. I love it when my hometown stays classy. :rolleyes:

http://www.newsargus.com/news/archives/2017/07/18/driver_struck_by_cough_syrup_bottle/

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

ekt8750

Quote from: LM117 on July 19, 2017, 11:41:09 AM
Don't pass left lane campers in Goldsboro, NC unless you want to take a cough syrup bottle to the face. I love it when my hometown stays classy. :rolleyes:

http://www.newsargus.com/news/archives/2017/07/18/driver_struck_by_cough_syrup_bottle/

She was clearly under the influence of the contents of said cough syrup bottle. What a bitch.

kalvado

Quote from: ekt8750 on July 19, 2017, 12:11:08 PM

She was clearly under the influence of the contents of said cough syrup bottle. What a bitch.
I wonder if license plate was also reported, or "black Hyundai Sonata" is all that they have...

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kalvado on July 19, 2017, 12:28:34 PM

I wonder if license plate was also reported, or "black Hyundai Sonata" is all that they have...

I always tell people - get the license plate number.  That mean so much more than general descriptions of a car.

LM117

Quote from: kalvado on July 19, 2017, 12:28:34 PM

That was my first thought as well. I would hope the guy had enough sense to get the plate number. I can handle someone cussing at me, but when someone starts throwing shit at me, Mr. Nice Guy goes bye-bye. :ninja:
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

rte66man

Oklahoma's new left lane blocker law to take effect November 1:

http://www.news9.com/story/35852883/my-2-cents-new-left-lane-passing-law-to-go-into-effect-nov-1

Finally, the left lane of Interstate 35, Interstate 40, the turnpikes in Oklahoma might actually be used for what they were designed for -- getting around slower vehicles.
At some point, everyone who has a driver's license is aware that the left lane is for passing, but almost as certainly 50 percent of them, at least here in Oklahoma, will forget that rule and choose the left lane for their pleasure cruise.

Who can blame them, it's usually a smoother surface, because of course, the rest of us know the rule and spend most of our time wearing out the right lane.

But finally the Legislature has given the Oklahoma Highway Patrol and others a law they can actually enforce.

Right now, you can pass in the left lane and stay there if nobody is behind you, but in my mind that gives a motorist way to much wiggle room to linger in the passing lane.   

The law, which takes effect November 1, says you can get in the left lane to pass and when you have get back over in the right lane. That's cut and dried and should lead to less road rage on the highways.

And by the way, getting pulled over for hovering in the left lane can get you a ticket for $235.

I'm Kelly Ogle and that's My 2 Cents.

My daughter got a ticket from the City of Edmond 2 years ago on I-35 between Covell and Waterloo.  She pulled out to pass a truck and stayed in the left lane to pass another truck about 1/2 mile ahead.  That ticket cost her $175.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

jakeroot

Quote from: rte66man on July 19, 2017, 04:21:31 PM
My daughter got a ticket from the City of Edmond 2 years ago on I-35 between Covell and Waterloo.  She pulled out to pass a truck and stayed in the left lane to pass another truck about 1/2 mile ahead.  That ticket cost her $175.

1/2 mile ahead? That's quite a long ways. I have no idea how to do the math, but if she was only going a little faster than the truck, it's going to be several minutes before she catches up. That's plenty of time to get back over, and let whatever traffic approached from behind, pass.

michravera

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on June 01, 2017, 10:19:49 PM
Does this board define left lane hogging as travelling at less than the speed limit in the extreme left hand lane or as travelling at less than the speed of traffic?

A driver is guilty of "Left lane hogging" if he enters or remains in the left lane of a free flowing highway when it is safe to move into a lane further to the right under one or more of the following circumstances:
1) more than two non-emergency vehicles not engaged in a speed or maneuvering contest have passed him on the right
2) Another driver has requested that he move right by flashing headlights or giving an audible tone
3) 5 or more other vehicles have arrayed themselves behind him

None of this applies in heavy traffic or when use of the left lane is required in order to take a left exit, make a left turn, or in order to comply with some other law.

Beltway

Quote from: michravera on July 19, 2017, 09:06:23 PM
Does this board define left lane hogging as travelling at less than the speed limit in the extreme left hand lane or as travelling at less than the speed of traffic?
A driver is guilty of "Left lane hogging" if he enters or remains in the left lane of a free flowing highway when it is safe to move into a lane further to the right under one or more of the following circumstances:
1) more than two non-emergency vehicles not engaged in a speed or maneuvering contest have passed him on the right
2) Another driver has requested that he move right by flashing headlights or giving an audible tone
None of this applies in heavy traffic or when use of the left lane is required in order to take a left exit, make a left turn, or in order to comply with some other law.

That highly depends on the respective state traffic laws.  In some states it is illegal to pass on the right.  In some states it is illegal to use the headlights or horn in that manner in a nonemergency situation.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Beltway on July 20, 2017, 12:10:01 PM

That highly depends on the respective state traffic laws.  In some states it is illegal to pass on the right.  In some states it is illegal to use the headlights or horn in that manner in a nonemergency situation.

In which states is it illegal to pass on the right?  In some states it's illegal to pass on the shoulder, but I don't think there's any state where someone can't pass as long as there's 2 thru lanes in the same direction.

kalvado

OK, to put some more gas in this dying flame:
there is another thread about zipper merge, where one of common arguments is "using all available pavement"
How does that correlate with "do not use left lane for normal driving" philosophy?
For example, quote from that thread ( https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=18745 ):
Quote from: jakeroot on September 22, 2016, 11:56:29 AM
Quote from: DaBigE on September 22, 2016, 10:46:46 AM
Quote from: Brandon on September 22, 2016, 10:30:32 AM
Bullshit.  As soon as we're past the merge point around here, traffic speeds up.  The merge point IS the blockage point around Chicago.

Seconded. Anytime I've gone thru the Zoo Interchange construction zone zipper, traffic has sped up once we were out of the zipper.

But if traffic merges too quickly into one lane, it's going to slow down. Cars cannot all universally react to a merge. Most react by braking to create a safe following distance, but that creates a chain reaction of braking, inevitably creating another slowdown. A safe gap to you, may not be a safe gap to the car behind you.

Rather than have multiple merge points, with multiple reactionary braking points, it's better just to have one. Use all the available lane space.

To make things worse, I'll quote one of articles linked here:
Who can blame them, it's usually a smoother surface, because of course, the rest of us know the rule and spend most of our time wearing out the right lane.
So, apparently, author believes right-lane-no-matter-what non-uniformly increases road wear, increases car wear, and reduces road maintenance intervals (although all that is probably wrong)

vdeane

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 20, 2017, 12:12:22 PM

In which states is it illegal to pass on the right?  In some states it's illegal to pass on the shoulder, but I don't think there's any state where someone can't pass as long as there's 2 thru lanes in the same direction.

I think I remember reading that there's at least one, in the southeast somewhere (North Carolina maybe?).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on July 20, 2017, 12:58:23 PM

I think I remember reading that there's at least one, in the southeast somewhere (North Carolina maybe?).
I thought passing on the right was considered aggressive driving in Maryland?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

michravera

I gave a definition. I didn't state that the actions of other drivers had to be legal. I didn't state that "Left Lane Hogging" was illegal (It is in California, and the definition is close to what I have defined). I just defined the term as it is and ought to be used.

jakeroot

Quote from: kalvado on July 20, 2017, 12:17:13 PM
OK, to put some more gas in this dying flame:
there is another thread about zipper merge, where one of common arguments is "using all available pavement"
How does that correlate with "do not use left lane for normal driving" philosophy?

Two different scenarios. "Use all available pavement" applies when traffic is heavy. "Keep right except to pass" applies when traffic is light.

Beltway

Quote from: michravera on July 20, 2017, 04:22:48 PM
I gave a definition. I didn't state that the actions of other drivers had to be legal. I didn't state that "Left Lane Hogging" was illegal (It is in California, and the definition is close to what I have defined). I just defined the term as it is and ought to be used.

Then that is just your opinion.  Anyone can have an opinion on any side of an issue.  A good starting point IMHO is with the coded laws of the respective state as to what has been debated by the general assembly and passed into law.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

michravera

Quote from: Beltway on July 20, 2017, 07:11:37 PM
Quote from: michravera on July 20, 2017, 04:22:48 PM

Then that is just your opinion.  Anyone can have an opinion on any side of an issue.  A good starting point IMHO is with the coded laws of the respective state as to what has been debated by the general assembly and passed into law.

Just a couple of quotes from the CVC should strengthen my position:

California Vehicle code
Section 21654
a) Notwithstanding the prima facie speed limits, any vehicle proceeding upon a highway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time shall be driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
(b) If a vehicle is being driven at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time, and is not being driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, it shall constitute prima facie evidence that the driver is operating the vehicle in violation of subdivision (a) of this section.
(c) The Department of Transportation, with respect to state highways, and local authorities, with respect to highways under their jurisdiction, may place and maintain upon highways official signs directing slow-moving traffic to use the right-hand traffic lane except when overtaking and passing another vehicle or preparing for a left turn.

Section 21656.  On a two-lane highway where passing is unsafe because of traffic in the opposite direction or other conditions, any vehicle proceeding upon the highway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at that time, behind which five or more vehicles are formed in line, shall turn off the roadway at the nearest place designated as a turnout by signs erected by the authority having jurisdiction over the highway, or wherever sufficient area for a safe turnout exists, in order to permit the vehicles following it to proceed.

Section 21753.  Except when passing on the right is permitted, the driver of an overtaken vehicle shall safely move to the right-hand side of the highway in favor of the overtaking vehicle after an audible signal or a momentary flash of headlights by the overtaking vehicle, and shall not increase the speed of his or her vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle. This section does not require the driver of an overtaken vehicle to drive on the shoulder of the highway in order to allow the overtaking vehicle to pass.

jeffandnicole

QuoteI think I remember reading that there's at least one, in the southeast somewhere (North Carolina maybe?).

QuoteI thought passing on the right was considered aggressive driving in Maryland?

Neither are true. To show why: Let's say a car decides to do 50 mph in the left lane. Does that mean the entire highway becomes jammed until that person speeds up or exits?

Sadly, it does happen on occasion where someone going well below the limit drives the left lane.

Also, we have several people as members in those states. No doubt they would be familiar with such limiting laws if they existed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.