News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Left Lane Camping

Started by webny99, June 01, 2017, 09:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: djsekani on March 23, 2019, 11:29:05 AM
If you're going 100 MPH and the vehicle in front of you is going 90 MPH, the vehicle in front should get out of the way.

I agree with that statement.  Driving above a certain speed limit does not absolve one of any responsibility to keep right.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

djsekani

Quote from: michravera on March 23, 2019, 12:31:21 PM
The CHP *DOES* occasionally cite (or at least stop) people up here for poking. Sometimes such drivers are stoned, distracted, can't see well, talking on the phone and keeping a huge distance between them and the car ahead to compensate, but sometimes they are just rude. They need to cite them all due to the "GTFOOMW" rule (which is actually codified in California CVC 21654).

About that CVC 21654:

Quote from: California Vehicle Code
(a) Notwithstanding the prima facie speed limits, any vehicle proceeding upon a highway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time shall be driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

(b) If a vehicle is being driven at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time, and is not being driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, it shall constitute prima facie evidence that the driver is operating the vehicle in violation of subdivision (a) of this section.

(c) The Department of Transportation, with respect to state highways, and local authorities, with respect to highways under their jurisdiction, may place and maintain upon highways official signs directing slow-moving traffic to use the right-hand traffic lane except when overtaking and passing another vehicle or preparing for a left turn.

(Amended by Stats. 1974, Ch. 545.)

Based on those first six words I would challenge any "keep right" ticket given to me as long as I wasn't going under the speed limit.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: djsekani on March 26, 2019, 08:39:47 AM
The CHP *DOES* occasionally cite (or at least stop) people up here for poking. Sometimes such drivers are stoned, distracted, can't see well, talking on the phone and keeping a huge distance between them and the car ahead to compensate, but sometimes they are just rude. They need to cite them all due to the "GTFOOMW" rule (which is actually codified in California CVC 21654).

About that CVC 21654:

(a) Notwithstanding the prima facie speed limits, any vehicle proceeding upon a highway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time shall be driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

(b) If a vehicle is being driven at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time, and is not being driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, it shall constitute prima facie evidence that the driver is operating the vehicle in violation of subdivision (a) of this section.

(c) The Department of Transportation, with respect to state highways, and local authorities, with respect to highways under their jurisdiction, may place and maintain upon highways official signs directing slow-moving traffic to use the right-hand traffic lane except when overtaking and passing another vehicle or preparing for a left turn.

Based on those first six words I would challenge any "keep right" ticket given to me as long as I wasn't going under the speed limit.

Each law is separate and distinct.  The fact that you were driving at or under the speed limit does not absolve your duty to keep to the right.

Or, to make it more clear, if you're driving 63 mph in a 65 zone while drinking a beer, the cop isn't going to say since you're driving under the speed limit you can keep drinking. 

Flint1979

Around Michigan you can do 80 mph and the cops won't bother you. There are plenty of cars going faster than 80 mph that they are going to nail, 80 is the normal speed.

Now about 4 years or so ago a state cop got me doing 83 in a 70 coming off NB I-75 onto WB M-55 towards Houghton Lake. He told me he had me at 69 mph in the off ramp but ended up letting me go.

kphoger

Do off-ramps even have speed limits?   :hmmm:
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Many off-ramps have advisory speeds, but I highly doubt these are enforceable.

In the case of NY 104, which has a service road with a 40 mph speed limit and a mainline speed limit of 55 mph, I am not sure which limit applies to the slip ramps. In my case, I just apply the mainline speed limit of 55 mph to the service road, and +15 (70 mph) to the mainline.  :D

Flint1979

They have suggested speeds. They'd be a yellow and black sign. Like the exit I was talking about is right here: (There isn't a suggested speed sign at this exit). Furthermore it's still a divided highway until you get to Old M-55 (West Branch Road).

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.3138572,-84.4841708,3a,75y,263.5h,89.12t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sDfmPMrTb3YgdFyuIph-btA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Just to the east (I-75 is running east and west in this area) of this exit is an authorized vehicles only drive between the two directions and I think the cop was sitting up in that turn around the one that's where Towner Road would cross I-75 if it didn't dead end on both sides of it.

michravera

Quote from: djsekani on March 26, 2019, 08:39:47 AM

About that CVC 21654:

Then you would be arguing EXACTLY what the law says that it doesn't say! Good luck with that!
Subsection C legalizes "Slower Traffic Keep Right" and "Keep Right Except To Pass" signs.

7/8

Quote from: Beltway on July 22, 2017, 12:03:59 PM
I have cited the true problem of "middle lane hogging".  That is on 6-lane (3 each way) Interstates where drivers going 5 to 10 mph or more below the speed limit camp out in the middle lane, apparently thinking that it is OK because they are not in the inner lane.  In heavy traffic this causes congestion as traffic has to slow down and flow around these jerks.  BTW, flashing headlights or horn and hand signals rarely get these drivers to get over into the right lane.  These are not cases where pavement conditions in the right lane have anything to do with it.  This problem is quite common.

I know this is an old post, but it seems to be one of the few that talks about the huge issue of middle lane camping. Unlike left lane camping which I find less common, I see middle lane camping constantly and it's aggravating. People will drive the same speed or slower than the traffic to their right. This causes lots of people to pile into the left lane and clog it up. I really wish middle lane camping was called put more often because it really reduces the efficiency of our freeways.

I actually find the right lane is often the best passing lane since so many cars default to the middle lane(s) and some people are scared to pass on the right. The way I see it is if I can safely pass you on the right, then you're in the wrong lane.

webny99

I really agree about middle lane camping. It is a much more pervasive problem because to the average driver, the issues with middle lane camping are not readily apparent. They don't believe they are causing problems by hanging out there when in fact they may be a moving bottleneck, forcing everybody that approaches them to brake and cram into line to get around them, or else pass on the right.

It is frustrating to approach a middle lane camper on an empty or almost empty highway. It forces me to do something I don't like to do. Either (a) pass on the right, or (b) use the left lane for no good reason. Sometimes when I am already in the right lane, I will move to the middle, then flash my left blinker for a minute. If they don't move over, only then will I move left, pass, and move all the way to the right again. Often I will put my four-way-flashers on after I have completed the pass for a minute or two.

If this sounds like something that could occur on the QEW, that's because it does!  :D :pan:

Beltway

Quote from: 7/8 on April 10, 2019, 10:31:55 PM
I know this is an old post, but it seems to be one of the few that talks about the huge issue of middle lane camping.

Like I said a major problem on 6-lane (3 each way) Interstates. 

Less pronounced on 8-lane (4 each way) Interstates, because of the 3 other lanes available besides the #2 or #3 lane, but still a problem.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Flint1979

I agree with the middle lane camping. I get so annoyed when I'm set at a speed and going that speed only to have someone for no good reason at all going much slower than me ahead. I even get passed at 80 mph but at least at that speed I don't feel like I'm moving too slow for anyone. I do 70 mph at times as well and when I do that I'll go in the right lane and let whoever wants to pass go. I see this in Chicago a lot when I'm there, someone will be traveling about 62-65 mph in the left lane with a huge gap in front of them, at that point you have no business being in the left lane or even middle lane. I see this on the Dan Ryan, Eisenhower, Stevenson and Kennedy and it happens when traffic is moving too.

kphoger

I see middle-lane camping as a result of seeing the highway as 1 left lane + 2 right lanes.  Those who don't middle-lane camp see the highway as 1 right lane + 2 left lanes.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on April 11, 2019, 03:26:49 PM
I see middle-lane camping as a result of seeing the highway as 1 left lane + 2 right lanes.  Those who don't middle-lane camp see the highway as 1 right lane + 2 left lanes.

:clap: :nod:

vdeane

Quote from: Beltway on April 11, 2019, 02:27:16 PM
Quote from: 7/8 on April 10, 2019, 10:31:55 PM
I know this is an old post, but it seems to be one of the few that talks about the huge issue of middle lane camping.

Less pronounced on 8-lane (4 each way) Interstates, because of the 3 other lanes available besides the #2 or #3 lane, but still a problem.
Though still a major issue; I was driving along I-95/MA 128 and it struck me that the fact that Boston drivers are right-lane phobic probably forces them to be even more aggressive than they already would be.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Beltway

Quote from: vdeane on April 11, 2019, 08:18:28 PM
Quote from: Beltway on April 11, 2019, 02:27:16 PM
Though still a major issue; I was driving along I-95/MA 128 and it struck me that the fact that Boston drivers are right-lane phobic probably forces them to be even more aggressive than they already would be.

Metropolitan beltways tend to have closely spaced interchanges, so I can understand not wanting to cruise in the right lane, with all the transitional traffic to and from the ramps.  But I think that a driver ought to at least maintain the speed limit if traffic conditions allow it, if they are in lane #2 (left-outer or second from rightmost) on 8-lane (4 each way).

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Flint1979

In Detroit, if you are in the left lane and doing anything under 80 your going to be getting tailgated. Even 80 gets you tailgated pretty good, left lane in the city of Detroit ranges from 85-100 mph.

RobbieL2415

In some states the right lane is designated by statue for slow moving vehicles. That is vehicles moving below the speed limit.  I don't see any issue with speed limit drivers keeping the center lane. Don't like it, you have both lanes to pass in. And when there's more than three lanes, forget it. It makes no sense to say everyone has to stay absolutely to the right.

webny99

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on April 12, 2019, 06:54:17 PM
In some states the right lane is designated by statue for slow moving vehicles. That is vehicles moving below the speed limit.

Eh, no, not really. Moving slower than other traffic. On many six lane highways you could be going speed limit +10 or even +15 and still be among the slower traffic, so you still need to keep right.

I don't see any issue with speed limit drivers keeping the center lane. Don't like it, you have both lanes to pass in.

Well that's just it - you're seeing two right lanes instead of two left lanes. Therefore, you aren't seeing the issues, but they still exist. The most glaring issues are as follows:

- People bunch up in the left lane to pass, obstructing traffic flow. The left two lanes are now occupied, instead of the right two lanes.

- The fastest drivers become aggravated, because others are needlessly in their way. They have to brake when they wouldn't have otherwise.

- Passing on the right occurs. It is often the fastest traffic that passes on the right, in order to avoid the jammed left lane and get ahead. This creates numerous safety issues and runs contrary to the most fundamental principles of highway driving.

- Road rage, frustration, and weaving are prone to occur.

- While it is true that two lanes are theoretically available to pass no matter what, middle lane requires additional decision making on the drivers part every time. Deciding which lane is best for other traffic on a case by case basis requires a level of situational awareness that many drivers just don't have. When everyone keeps all the way right except to pass, it is much simpler. Move left to pass.

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on April 12, 2019, 08:00:44 PM
- While it is true that two lanes are theoretically available to pass no matter what, middle lane requires additional decision making on the drivers part every time. Deciding which lane is best for other traffic on a case by case basis requires a level of situational awareness that many drivers just don't have. When everyone keeps all the way right except to pass, it is much simpler. Move left to pass.
Also the additional risk that there might be a slower driver ahead in the right lane.  Having slower traffic keep right increases predictability.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Beltway

I look at it as a right lane, a middle lane, and a left lane.   Travel speed in the middle lane should at least not need to be passed in the right lane.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

yand

The only problem I have with middle lane camping is that technically, it is illegal in some areas.
Between all the inadequate merge areas and closely spaced exits, it is just defensive driving to keep out of the right lane when possible. In fact, many merge areas will have the sign "through traffic keep left" because that's just a good idea. Even if you don't meet one of the legal exceptions for being in the left lane right now, chances are sooner or later you will.
The left lane is for driving at or below the speed limit, as long as you meet the requirements for entering the left lane.
Vehicles on the left lane cannot physically prevent you from passing on the right. If you have no problem with speeding then you should have no problem passing from the right with care. In fact, from just a cursory search it seems that passing from the right on a multi lane, 1-way road is not really illegal in the US.
I make videos for Full Length Interstates. FullLengthInterstates.com redirects to my channel at youtube.com/FullLengthInterstates

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: yand on April 12, 2019, 10:28:32 PM
The only problem I have with middle lane camping is that technically, it is illegal in some areas.
Between all the inadequate merge areas and closely spaced exits, it is just defensive driving to keep out of the right lane when possible. In fact, many merge areas will have the sign "through traffic keep left" because that's just a good idea. Even if you don't meet one of the legal exceptions for being in the left lane right now, chances are sooner or later you will.
The left lane is for driving at or below the speed limit, as long as you meet the requirements for entering the left lane.
Vehicles on the left lane cannot physically prevent you from passing on the right. If you have no problem with speeding then you should have no problem passing from the right with care. In fact, from just a cursory search it seems that passing from the right on a multi lane, 1-way road is not really illegal in the US.

Positioning in the middle lane isn't necessarily more defensive. On sections between exits I'd argue a right lane position is more prudent since you usually have a wide hard shoulder on your right as an escape route, where in the middle lane you're boxed in by the two outer lanes of traffic.

Flint1979

I do this myself and I often see it where a car will be in the middle lane and a car on the left and right are passing the car in the middle lane. In that situation the car in the middle lane should be in the right lane.

jeffandnicole

In some states the right lane is designated by statue for slow moving vehicles. That is vehicles moving below the speed limit.  I don't see any issue with speed limit drivers keeping the center lane. Don't like it, you have both lanes to pass in. And when there's more than three lanes, forget it. It makes no sense to say everyone has to stay absolutely to the right.

I'd love for you to find such a law.  I'm quite sure, in all 50 states, that you're not supposed to exceed the speed limit, so I doubt there's laws stating only vehicles moving below the speed limit should be in the right lane.  There's some variations in regards to laws, and there's even some prima facia laws regarding speeds, but the overall riding laws in every state don't allow for driving above the speed limit.

Quote from: webny99 on April 12, 2019, 08:00:44 PM

I don't see any issue with speed limit drivers keeping the center lane. Don't like it, you have both lanes to pass in.

Well that's just it - you're seeing two right lanes instead of two left lanes. Therefore, you aren't seeing the issues, but they still exist. The most glaring issues are as follows:

- People bunch up in the left lane to pass, obstructing traffic flow. The left two lanes are now occupied, instead of the right two lanes.

- The fastest drivers become aggravated, because others are needlessly in their way. They have to brake when they wouldn't have otherwise.

- Passing on the right occurs. It is often the fastest traffic that passes on the right, in order to avoid the jammed left lane and get ahead. This creates numerous safety issues and runs contrary to the most fundamental principles of highway driving.

- Road rage, frustration, and weaving are prone to occur.

In addition, truckers usually aren't allowed in the left lane.  So the center lane is their passing lane.  If you're driving slowly in the center lane, you're prohibiting truckers from passing, even if they're at or under the speed limit and passing a slower vehicle in the right lane.

I wouldn't say 'many'.  Those signs are definitely the exception to the rule. Also, not sure where you get your definition of defensive driving from, but keeping out of the right lane is not one of them.

What's a requirement for entering the left lane.

And the law is to keep right except to pass.  If you ignore that and feel that you can drive in the left lane becuase you're under the speed limit, then feel free to drink a beer while driving below the speed limit as well.  The speed limit isn't the sole law on the highways, and all laws are seperate and distinct from each other. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.