News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Tropical cyclone tracking thread

Started by CNGL-Leudimin, May 07, 2015, 11:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

empirestate

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 04, 2020, 10:00:02 AM
Quote from: empirestate on August 03, 2020, 07:23:52 PM
I think this is why Americans keep getting hung up with this pronunciation. Because English has extremely irregular pronunciation, and we therefore can't depend on an unknown native word to sound as it's spelled, we assume that's true when faced with foreign words, too. However, most European languages have very predictable pronunciation rules, Spanish in particular. Since that language is widely used in this country, just being aware that it's a Spanish name should lead to no trouble in pronouncing it.

You're making the invalid assumption that most Americans have some sense for how to pronounce Spanish words!

Not at all–had I made that assumption, I'd have written "will" instead of "should".

route56

We've managed to get up to 'Epsilon,' with a depression in the Carribian that will likely become 'Zeta' and possible dispatching of Jim Cantore to Louisiana.

I think the chances are good that we will get the first new greek letter storm with 'Eta,' and break 2005's tropical storm record with 'Theta.'
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

Scott5114

TS Zeta now active, forecast to make landfall near New Orleans on Wednesday.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ET21

Eye went right over New Orleans this evening. Lots of damage being reported across SE Louisiana and southern Mississippi so far. Looks like it landfalled as a powerful cat 2 storm.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

US 89

Quote from: ET21 on October 28, 2020, 11:49:09 PM
Eye went right over New Orleans this evening. Lots of damage being reported across SE Louisiana and southern Mississippi so far. Looks like it landfalled as a powerful cat 2 storm.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it bumped up to cat 3 in post-analysis.

At any rate, this looks to be one of the most remarkable inland tropical-storm wind events we've seen in a long time. Tropical storm warnings extend northeast from the landfall point through Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia (including Atlanta, where I am), Tennessee, South Carolina, North Carolina, and Virginia - all the way up to Lynchburg.

It is eerily calm here. Unless you looked at news or radar, you'd never guess a tropical storm was headed our way. Sure, it's wet and sticky, but there is zero wind. That will change in a few hours.

CNGL-Leudimin

Luckily there was that freaky subtropical storm that affected, of all forum members, me, and thus I won't dispute that there is still one for tying the record. Had α been tropical, I would have disputed that statment, since I don't recognize missed storms either and the 2005 Azores storm was both missed and subtropical. However if a named subtropical storm turns to have been fully tropical in the reanalysis I'll rescue it for my numbers, as happened with Alberto in 2018.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: US 89 on October 29, 2020, 01:28:37 AM
Quote from: ET21 on October 28, 2020, 11:49:09 PM

I wouldn't be surprised to see it bumped up to cat 3 in post-analysis.

At any rate, this looks to be one of the most remarkable inland tropical-storm wind events we've seen in a long time. Tropical storm warnings extend northeast from the landfall point through Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia (including Atlanta, where I am), Tennessee, South Carolina, North Carolina, and Virginia - all the way up to Lynchburg.

It is eerily calm here. Unless you looked at news or radar, you'd never guess a tropical storm was headed our way. Sure, it's wet and sticky, but there is zero wind. That will change in a few hours.

Rain moved into New Jersey from Zeta overnight, and we should be getting a few inches of much needed rain today.  The early predictions were the rain would hit tomorrow (and of course parents immediately started to worry that it would become a 2 day rain event and ruin what's left of Halloween this year), so this gives everything a day to dry out before trick-or-treaters walk around on Saturday.

index

Got some pretty powerful wind gusts from Zeta here - WBTV was forecasting 62 mph for Union County. I had my power knocked out for a bit, Charlotte with its tree canopy seems to have fared worse with their power situation.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

route56

Another disturbance is about to enter the Caribbean, NHC has it currently pegged with a 20 percent chance of formation within 2 days, 60 percent within 5 days.

Will Zeta go post-tropical before or after it re-enters the Atlantic off the Virginia coast?

EDIT: Nevermind, the NHC called it post-tropical at the 2 PM ET intermediate advisory.

R.P.K.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on September 24, 2020, 03:30:47 PM
I've noticed there hasn't been a single category 5 typhoon so far.  It would be very weird if we end the year without one. This actually happened a few years ago... but after the fact, as operationally there was one that was downgraded in the post-season analysis.

Not happening anymore. Typhoon Goni (known in the Philippines as Rolly) is now a category 5 monster.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

route56

A day and a half later, and the current disturbance (I'm guessing it's an 'Invest' by now) is now pegged with an 80 percent chance of becoming a tropical cyclone within 2 days, and 90 percent within 5 days. Chances of breaking out a greek letter for the first time (Eta) are now very high.

R.P.K.

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on October 30, 2020, 07:45:54 AM
I've noticed there hasn't been a single category 5 typhoon so far.  It would be very weird if we end the year without one. This actually happened a few years ago... but after the fact, as operationally there was one that was downgraded in the post-season analysis.

Not happening anymore. Typhoon Goni (known in the Philippines as Rolly) is now a category 5 monster.
And 185 miles per hour too!
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

route56

Ask, and you shall receive.

5 PM ET tonight: That disturbance in the Caribbean is designated as TD 29.

11 PM ET:
Quote from: NHC
Based on these data, the depression is upgraded to Tropical Storm Eta, the twenty-eighth named storm of the 2020 season.  This ties the record for storms set in the 2005 season and is the first time the name Eta has been used in the Atlantic basin.

Folks, we got a month to go in the official 2020 Atlantic Hurricane Season, and another month of offseason before we can use 'Ana.'

R.P.K.

Scott5114

I'm sort of sad the last storm didn't stick around long enough to merge with this one, as well as with the next one, to form Hurricane Zetaetatheta.

CNGL-Leudimin

Well, we have tied 2005. At least I spell Greek storms with the actual letters (this one is Tropical storm η), otherwise I would spell this storm in all-caps (ETA) and call this storm a terrorist.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 01, 2020, 05:43:19 AM
Well, we have tied 2005. At least I spell Greek storms with the actual letters (this one is Tropical storm η), otherwise I would spell this storm in all-caps (ETA) and call this storm a terrorist.

I wonder what the Estimated Time of Arrival is for ETA?
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

tdindy88

Quote from: cabiness42 on November 01, 2020, 08:02:50 AM

12 noon on Tuesday for Central America :)

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on October 30, 2020, 10:00:30 PM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on October 30, 2020, 07:45:54 AM

And 185 miles per hour too!
Scratch that, it managed to get up to 195 - the strongest landfall ever observed.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

route56

Eta must have hit the hot spot in the Caribean. It boomed from Tropical Storm to Catagory 3 overnight.

Quote from: tdindy88 on November 01, 2020, 08:11:10 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on November 01, 2020, 08:02:50 AM

12 noon on Tuesday for Central America :)

Quote from: NHC Hurricane Eta advisory 8A, 1200 CST 11/2/20
LOCATION...14.7N 82.0W
ABOUT 85 MI...135 KM E OF CABO GRACIAS A DIOS ON NIC/HON BORDER
ABOUT 105 MI...170 KM ENE OF PUERTO CABEZAS NICARAGUA

R.P.K.

allniter89

The way the 2020 tropical season is going it wouldnt surprise me much if it ,made it back to the gulf & headed north. :-o
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

Scott5114

Quote from: allniter89 on November 02, 2020, 05:19:10 PM
The way the 2020 tropical season is going it wouldnt surprise me much if it ,made it back to the gulf & headed north. :-o

In fact, that is what it seems to be doing.

route56

We've got a system in the eastern Atlantic that now has an 80 percent chance of becoming "Theta" (or, at least, (sub-)tropical depression Thirty)

R.P.K.

1995hoo

"Subtropical Storm" Theta has formed. There's also a cell south of Puerto Rico that could become Iota, although right now the immediate chances are low (cue puns).

My brother-in-law in Pembroke Pines said their garage flooded with four inches of water. They don't park in the garage because they have so much junk crammed in there, but he said they had to move the cars from the driveway to some nearby grass that's at a slightly higher elevation because the water in the driveway was getting close to tailpipe level.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

CNGL-Leudimin

Θ (uppercase since I start a sentence) is now fully tropical, and thus 2020 is now per my reckoning (a bit later than NHC's since as you know I don't recognize subtropical storms) the year in which more tropical storms have formed in the Atlantic. It is almost a hurricane as well, and is heading towards... me!

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 10, 2020, 04:39:14 PM
Θ (uppercase since I start a sentence) is now fully tropical, and thus 2020 is now per my reckoning (a bit later than NHC's since as you know I don't recognize subtropical storms) the year in which more tropical storms have formed in the Atlantic. It is almost a hurricane as well, and is heading towards... me!

At what angle is theta approaching?
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.