News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

This is true? - Geographic oddities that defy conventional wisdom

Started by The Nature Boy, November 28, 2015, 10:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkt

Quote from: GaryV on March 30, 2021, 08:31:47 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 30, 2021, 12:07:20 AM
Quote from: chays on March 29, 2021, 11:14:08 PM
Mexico is extends further north than Florida. This was a bit surprising to me but I guess it really shouldn't be.

What I found interesting is that Mexico almost extends further north than Louisiana. The difference in latitude is about 20 miles.

If Mexico had been 20 miles further north, it would have been further north, south, east and west, of Louisiana.
If Mexico kept it's old land it would extend as far north as the Midwest and Pennsylvania.

And Canada.

How do you figure?  Looking at historical maps of Mexico it looks like it only went as far north as the Great Salt Lake.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 09, 2021, 02:11:03 PM

Quote from: Dirt Roads on April 09, 2021, 12:25:07 PM
I know this is opening a can of worms, but where I'm from we would say that Joe Biden is from Pennsylvania.  In West Virginia, "growing up" is the most number of years between ages 6 and 12.  He was 11 years old when they moved to Wilmington, Delaware.

Sure, but he spent 36 years as a US Senator representing Delaware, so he's associated far more with Delaware than Pennsylvania, even if he spent his childhood in Pennsylvania.

And Arturs KriÅ¡jānis KariņÅ¡ left Delaware after graduating high school.  He attended college in Maryland, Pennsylvania, and abroad.  He has lived in Latvia for 24 years, which is longer than he lived in Delaware.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: kkt on April 09, 2021, 02:20:27 PM

Quote from: GaryV on March 30, 2021, 08:31:47 AM

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 30, 2021, 12:07:20 AM

Quote from: chays on March 29, 2021, 11:14:08 PM
Mexico is extends further north than Florida. This was a bit surprising to me but I guess it really shouldn't be.

What I found interesting is that Mexico almost extends further north than Louisiana. The difference in latitude is about 20 miles.

If Mexico had been 20 miles further north, it would have been further north, south, east and west, of Louisiana.

If Mexico kept it's old land it would extend as far north as the Midwest and Pennsylvania.

And Canada.

How do you figure?  Looking at historical maps of Mexico it looks like it only went as far north as the Great Salt Lake.

A quick and dirty internet search leads me to think the only part of Canada farther south than Mexico's most northerly border would be Pelee Island.  I'm open to correction, of course.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: empirestate on April 09, 2021, 02:13:05 PM
I know this is opening a can of worms, but where I'm from we would say that Joe Biden is from Pennsylvania.  In West Virginia, "growing up" is the most number of years between ages 6 and 12.  He was 11 years old when they moved to Wilmington, Delaware.

The worm I'm most intrigued by is that there's a regional variation on what it means to be "from" somewhere. What are the specifics of this variation?

I think it's all down to what the individual feels connected to as where they're "from". People will probably harangue me for this, but I felt much more connected to Duluth than Minneapolis even though I have lived for far more of my life in the latter, so I sometimes tell people I'm from Duluth instead.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: kphoger on April 09, 2021, 02:26:20 PM
A quick and dirty internet search leads me to think the only part of Canada farther south than Mexico's most northerly border would be Pelee Island.  I'm open to correction, of course.

If Mexico extended all the way to the parallel 42° then Point Pelee National Park is also South of that line (and by extension South of my latitude).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

empirestate

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 09, 2021, 02:26:39 PM

The worm I'm most intrigued by is that there's a regional variation on what it means to be "from" somewhere. What are the specifics of this variation?

I think it's all down to what the individual feels connected to as where they're "from". People will probably harangue me for this, but I felt much more connected to Duluth than Minneapolis even though I have lived for far more of my life in the latter, so I sometimes tell people I'm from Duluth instead.

That's how I'd use it, too. But Dirt Roads specifically says "where I'm from we would say..." and explains that where one is "from" is different from where one "grew up." I didn't know about that regionalism before (but that certainly doesn't mean it doesn't exist).

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on April 09, 2021, 02:23:03 PM

Sure, but he spent 36 years as a US Senator representing Delaware, so he's associated far more with Delaware than Pennsylvania, even if he spent his childhood in Pennsylvania.

And Arturs KriÅ¡jānis KariņÅ¡ left Delaware after graduating high school.  He attended college in Maryland, Pennsylvania, and abroad.  He has lived in Latvia for 24 years, which is longer than he lived in Delaware.

I mean, the "oddity that defies conventional wisdom" on the map is that one wouldn't expect any world leaders at all to be tied to such a minor state, but if any world leader was going to be tied to a minor state, you would expect it to be the country that state is in, the United States. It defies conventional wisdom that any other country's leader would have ties at all to the United States, let alone the specific state that the current President of the United States is tied to.

Now, are we done sucking all the fun out of this geographic oddity? :D
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jeffandnicole

Quote from: empirestate on April 10, 2021, 12:34:41 AM

That's how I'd use it, too. But Dirt Roads specifically says "where I'm from we would say..." and explains that where one is "from" is different from where one "grew up." I didn't know about that regionalism before (but that certainly doesn't mean it doesn't exist).

When it comes down to it, Biden referred to PA as the state where he was from in an attempt to garner voters from Pennsylvaniers more than anything.  But most people will agree that he's from Delaware, as that's the state he's lived in for 5 or 6 decades.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on April 10, 2021, 04:27:15 AM
Which state was Abraham Lincoln from?

Born in Kentucky, but Illinois is the answer most people would give.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 10, 2021, 01:39:15 AM
... Pennsylvaniers ...

Off-topic, but isn't it "Pennsylvanians"?

NWI_Irish96

Interesting note about the "where are you from" discussion. Jeopardy traditionally introduces contestants at the top of the show as being "from" wherever they live at the time they are on the show. Because of COVID, the first several weeks of the current season were open only to CA residents. I noticed that some of the contestants were being introduced as being "originally from" somewhere instead of "from" somewhere. It eliminated the monotony of every contestant being announced as "from" somewhere in CA. Even now that loosened restrictions have allowed people from other states to compete, I notice that some contestants are still being introduced as "originally from" somewhere.

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kkt

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on April 09, 2021, 02:44:47 PM
Quote from: kphoger on April 09, 2021, 02:26:20 PM

If Mexico extended all the way to the parallel 42° then Point Pelee National Park is also South of that line (and by extension South of my latitude).

Okay, thanks to both of you.

empirestate

Quote from: webny99 on April 10, 2021, 09:28:16 AM

Unless they're from West Virginia! ;-)

Moving on to a new oddity...
At least two states have capitals whose names starts with the 2-letter abbreviation for that state:
Oklahoma City, OK
Indianpolis, IN

But at least one other has a capital whose name ends with this 2-letter abbreviation. Which one? (Hint: Don't over-think it. The answer's staring you in the face.) :)

Scott5114

Pfft. Clever. I was spacing out trying to think of the state capitals and glossed right over that one, for some reason just thinking of the state's largest city instead of its actual capital. It wasn't until I caved and looked up a list of state capitals that I spotted it.

Topeka, Kansas ends with KA, which isn't its postal code (which is KS, of course) but is Kansas's boat registration code.

Big John

Quote from: empirestate on April 10, 2021, 06:20:17 PM

At least two states have capitals whose names starts with the 2-letter abbreviation for that state:
Oklahoma City, OK
Indianpolis, IN

But at least one other has a capital whose name ends with this 2-letter abbreviation. Which one? (Hint: Don't over-think it. The answer's staring you in the face.) :)
AlbaNY

kkt

Quote from: empirestate on April 10, 2021, 06:20:17 PM

Oklahoma City, OK
Indianpolis, IN

Clever.

hbelkins

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 10, 2021, 01:39:15 AM
... Pennsylvaniers ...

Off-topic, but isn't it "Pennsylvanians"?

Call them Keystoners!!!

Three states try to lay claim to Lincoln. Indiana proclaims itself "Lincoln's Boyhood Home."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

mrsman

Quote from: empirestate on April 10, 2021, 12:34:41 AM

"Where are you from?"

If I'm asked that, I'd say MD or Silver Spring, MD.  I've lived here for the past 20 years.  That's usually good enough.

If I encounter a follow-up question, like "Where did you go to high school?" I'd explain that I grew up in Los Angeles, so even though I have lived in Silver Spring for a long time, I did not go to high school there.

Even though I was born in Los Angeles, my mother is an immigrant and I share a bit of her foreign accent.  So if MD and CA are not good enough, because they question my accent, then I have to explain where my mother comes from

The Nature Boy

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 10, 2021, 12:42:04 AM
Quote from: kphoger on April 09, 2021, 02:23:03 PM

I mean, the "oddity that defies conventional wisdom" on the map is that one wouldn't expect any world leaders at all to be tied to such a minor state, but if any world leader was going to be tied to a minor state, you would expect it to be the country that state is in, the United States. It defies conventional wisdom that any other country's leader would have ties at all to the United States, let alone the specific state that the current President of the United States is tied to.

Now, are we done sucking all the fun out of this geographic oddity? :D

Along these same lines, when Donald Trump was President, we had the oddity of the US President and British Prime Minister sharing a birth city. Boris Johnson was also born in New York City.

Bruce

"Where are you really from" is a rude question I get occasionally, being a foreign-looking person.

I refer to my European ancestry first to trip them up.

andrepoiy

Here's something you probably didn't expect:

Ontario has no land border crossings with the United States; every crossing from Ontario to the US involves a bridge or ferry.

webny99

Quote from: Bruce on April 25, 2021, 04:09:54 PM
"Where are you really from" is a rude question I get occasionally, being a foreign-looking person.

If you're doing it intentionally to trip them up, how could you call the response "rude"?

Scott5114

Quote from: webny99 on April 25, 2021, 07:05:47 PM

If you're doing it intentionally to trip them up, how could you call the response "rude"?

My reading of his post is that someone asks where Bruce is from, he says "Snohomish County", and because he's noticeably not Caucasian, they ask "where are you really from" because they're racist, so he says a country from Europe that he has heritage from, which confuses them, because he doesn't look like he's from there either.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 25, 2021, 07:08:32 PM
Quote from: webny99 on April 25, 2021, 07:05:47 PM

My reading of his post is that someone asks where Bruce is from, he says "Snohomish County", and because he's noticeably not Caucasian, they ask "where are you really from" because they're racist, so he says a country from Europe that he has heritage from, which confuses them, because he doesn't look like he's from there either.
I wouldn't call that racist necessarily, more ignorant.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Scott5114

"Where are you really from" is about the rudest/most racist way of wording it, though. "Where is your family originally from" might be a bit better, or even better, not asking at all because it's none of your business.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.