News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Hurricane Harvey

Started by Stephane Dumas, August 27, 2017, 12:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilpt4u

Quote from: Desert Man on September 01, 2017, 08:23:02 PM
They call Hurricane/Tropical storm Harvey the worst natural disaster in US history since... the great Chicago Fire of Oct 1871.
Can one really call the Great Chicago Fire a "natural" disaster? It was a combination of human-animal caused, with a cow kicking over a lantern in a barn (so goes the story, anyway)

Brandon

Quote from: ilpt4u on September 01, 2017, 09:25:01 PM
They call Hurricane/Tropical storm Harvey the worst natural disaster in US history since... the great Chicago Fire of Oct 1871.

Can one really call the Great Chicago Fire a "natural" disaster? It was a combination of human-animal caused, with a cow kicking over a lantern in a barn (so goes the story, anyway)

More than likely it was someone's lit cigarette on dry straw or carpet.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Brandon

They call Hurricane/Tropical storm Harvey the worst natural disaster in US history since... Hurricane Katrina breaks the earth levees to flood New Orleans in Aug 2005....

I take issue with that.  Katrina was a natural disaster...for Mississippi.  In New Orleans, it was a 100% man-made disaster.  If those levees had been properly maintained, the flooding would've been minimal to none.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

bing101

Brandon

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Roadgeekteen

JJ Watt started a fund to raise money for hurricane recovery.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ET21

Quote from: Brandon on September 02, 2017, 12:46:54 AM
They call Hurricane/Tropical storm Harvey the worst natural disaster in US history since... Hurricane Katrina breaks the earth levees to flood New Orleans in Aug 2005....

I take issue with that.  Katrina was a natural disaster...for Mississippi.  In New Orleans, it was a 100% man-made disaster.  If those levees had been properly maintained, the flooding would've been minimal to none.

Man made indeed when those levee walls were only built up to category 3 standards....
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Brandon

Quote from: ET21 on September 11, 2017, 10:20:15 AM
Quote from: Brandon on September 02, 2017, 12:46:54 AM

Man made indeed when those levee walls were only built up to category 3 standards....

Katrina was only a Cat 3 at landfall.  Those levees should have handled the storm just fine.  If you want a comparison, look at the photos of the 17th Street Canal.  One side is Orleans Parish, the other is Jefferson Parish.  One side is pretty dry, the other is fully flooded.  The levees on one side were properly maintained, the other wasn't (note the oak trees growing on the levee prior to the storm).

Brian556

Rather than blame the levees, I say that people should not be living in flood prone areas, especially those below sea level. Trying to go against nature is foolish to say the least.

adventurernumber1

It is a genuine tragedy to see such devastating hurricanes (Harvey and Irma) occur in such close proximity. Regarding Hurricane Harvey, I truly hope it will not be too long for Houston and elsewhere to recover.  :no:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: ilpt4u on September 01, 2017, 09:25:01 PM

Screw that - It IS the worst...
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

Bruce

Hurricane Maria seems to be the worst in terms of human cost. Unknown number of dead Americans, a whole U.S. territory of millions without power, a humanitarian crisis, and an ineffective government response. Not to mention the cleanup and rebuilding costs that can't be carried by a territorial government already on the brink of bankruptcy.

wxfree

The report on Harvey has been published.  There's a web page (in an annoying setup with overlapping layers) that gives a synopsis.  The most interesting part to me is near the end, where it shows the Colorado River at Wharton rising to a stage of 51 feet and then leveling off.  It didn't level off because of reduced flows, but because the water was so high it poured over into the San Bernard River, which is in a separate watershed and drains into the Gulf independently from the Colorado.  Out-of-banks flooding happens all the time, but out-of-watershed flooding is a new one to me.  The land is relatively flat, which makes this the kind of place where such a thing is possible.  There's a low-resolution photo showing the overflow between the rivers.

The web page is: http://noaa.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Cascade/index.html?appid=37cc94c4b6944fe39aa296f58636b29f

The full report is at: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/data/tcr/AL092017_Harvey.pdf

The official maximum rainfall was 60.58 inches near Nederland.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

triplemultiplex

Quote from: wxfree on February 01, 2018, 03:13:45 AM
The most interesting part to me is near the end, where it shows the Colorado River at Wharton rising to a stage of 51 feet and then leveling off.  It didn't level off because of reduced flows, but because the water was so high it poured over into the San Bernard River, which is in a separate watershed and drains into the Gulf independently from the Colorado.  Out-of-banks flooding happens all the time, but out-of-watershed flooding is a new one to me.  The land is relatively flat, which makes this the kind of place where such a thing is possible.  There's a low-resolution photo showing the overflow between the rivers.

Fascinating. The overflow demonstrates how coastal plains develop over time.  As gradient decreases on streams entering an ocean, the amount of sediment they can transport drops accordingly.  So rivers start depositing sediment, the channel fills, and the river diverts left and right.  As every stream along a coast does this, their ever-widening deltas start to overlap, intermingle and shift.  Run this system forward for a while and new land slowly grows into the sea.

It also demonstrates how rivers can switch deltas.  If the gradient on the San Bernard had been steeper than the Colorado to a significant enough extent, erosion would've cut a channel deep enough to permanently divert the Colorado.  (Well, "permanently" being a relative term here.)
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Brian556

Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 02, 2018, 12:59:40 PM
Quote from: wxfree on February 01, 2018, 03:13:45 AM
The most interesting part to me is near the end, where it shows the Colorado River at Wharton rising to a stage of 51 feet and then leveling off.  It didn't level off because of reduced flows, but because the water was so high it poured over into the San Bernard River, which is in a separate watershed and drains into the Gulf independently from the Colorado.  Out-of-banks flooding happens all the time, but out-of-watershed flooding is a new one to me.  The land is relatively flat, which makes this the kind of place where such a thing is possible.  There's a low-resolution photo showing the overflow between the rivers.

Fascinating. The overflow demonstrates how coastal plains develop over time.  As gradient decreases on streams entering an ocean, the amount of sediment they can transport drops accordingly.  So rivers start depositing sediment, the channel fills, and the river diverts left and right.  As every stream along a coast does this, their ever-widening deltas start to overlap, intermingle and shift.  Run this system forward for a while and new land slowly grows into the sea.

It also demonstrates how rivers can switch deltas.  If the gradient on the San Bernard had been steeper than the Colorado to a significant enough extent, erosion would've cut a channel deep enough to permanently divert the Colorado.  (Well, "permanently" being a relative term here.)

An online report states that the Mississippi River would have diverted to the Atchafalaya River by 1990 had the Old River Control Sturcture not been built

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Brian556 on February 02, 2018, 02:23:54 PM
An online report states that the Mississippi River would have diverted to the Atchafalaya River by 1990 had the Old River Control Sturcture not been built

And, AFAIK, the Mississippi is still trying to. I get the feeling nature will eventually win, it's just a matter of when.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on February 02, 2018, 03:31:59 PM
Quote from: Brian556 on February 02, 2018, 02:23:54 PM

And, AFAIK, the Mississippi is still trying to. I get the feeling nature will eventually win, it's just a matter of when.

It's already showing its strain at times. It justs needs the right event (or the next ice age).
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

triplemultiplex

Park a storm like Harvey over Vicksburg after a wet summer, then look out below!

Over time, the delta switch will become more and more inevitable.  By constraining the lower reach of the river between artificial levees, there will be a steady build up of sediment between them.  This means the artificial levees have to be raised higher and higher to contain future floods.  And a higher and higher gradient will exist between the current channel and the Atchafalaya.  This results in more and more scouring below the Old River Structure that will need remediation.

At some date in the future, a flood will breach either the Old River Structure or the earthen levees above or below it.   When it does, the full force of the Mississippi will churn down the Atchafalaya to the Gulf.  We might be able to brute force the river back into its old channel if money is no object, but that will literally take years.   And the whole exercise will be repeated again a few decades later.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.