News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Earthquakes and Volcanoes

Started by Bruce, March 31, 2020, 08:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

bing101

triplemultiplex

Quote from: bing101 on March 04, 2021, 08:11:33 PM
https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/New-Zealand-earthquake-8-1-Kermadec-Islands-16001067.php
New Zealand is reporting an 8.1 quake.

Fortunately for New Zealand, this one didn't occur under them but several hundred miles north.
It did cause a tsunami watch for Hawaii, but fortunately, it wasn't big enough to cause anything noticeable.  I think I read the buoy system detected a 3 cm wave.
Those underwater quakes can be tricky.  Usually you need a mid to upper 8 or larger for there to be enough movement to cause a tsunami.  Unless the quake triggers an underwater landslide, in which case the threshold of earthquake magnitude to worry about a tsunami is a lot lower.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

kphoger

Recent activity here in Wichita, KS

03/14/2021 @ 06:29 – magnitude 3.4
03/14/2021 @ 06:31 – magnitude 3.5
03/14/2021 @ 07:02 – magnitude 3.0
03/14/2021 @ 08:30 – magnitude 2.4
03/14/2021 @ 18:08 – magnitude 3.9
03/14/2021 @ 22:01 – magnitude 1.8
03/15/2021 @ 08:52 – magnitude 3.1
03/15/2021 @ 08:59 – magnitude 3.2

My dad's bathroom light bulb broke from the second one while he was on the toilet Sunday morning, and some friends of ours now have a buckled front porch with boards that won't fit back into place.

All the tremors have been located 5 km underground, and all within a half-mile of Charles and David Koch's property.  So, as I figure it, Charles Koch must be digging a hole to the center of the earth.  It's the only explanation.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

triplemultiplex

They do much fracking near Witchita?  I don't recall how far north those gas fields in Oklahoma extend.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Bruce

The early warning system for earthquakes (ShakeAlert) now covers Washington, Oregon, and California.

WA was just activated today, so we can all get system alerts on our phones if an earthquake is detected. https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/science/cellphone-earthquake-alerts-debut-in-washington-with-a-catch/

This is what an alert would look like on an Android phone:

bing101

triplemultiplex

Taal is some interesting geography.  It's like island-ception with an island in a lake on an island in a lake on an island in the ocean.
:crazy:

bing101

bing101

Here is the fallout of the Mono County quake

bing101

CNGL-Leudimin

Cumbre Vieja in La Palma (Canary Islands, Spain) has started erupting earlier today. This was preceded by an earthquake swarm over the last few days, as it's usual with volcanoes that are about to erupt. Don't worry, there's no risk of part of that island collapsing into the ocean and triggering a mega-tsunami that would destroy most of the East Coast (that is impossible to happen).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on September 19, 2021, 04:26:32 PM
Cumbre Vieja in La Palma (Canary Islands, Spain) has started erupting earlier today. This was preceded by an earthquake swarm over the last few days, as it's usual with volcanoes that are about to erupt. Don't worry, there's no risk of part of that island collapsing into the ocean and triggering a mega-tsunami that would destroy most of the East Coast (that is impossible to happen).

It would be a very 2021 thing if it happened, though. ;)
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Road Hog

Undersea quakes, volcanoes and landslides are all about displacement of water. If it's a slip fault that goes, the displacement will be minimal. If it's a thrust fault like off Indonesia in 2004, that's a heap of trouble. Landslide tsunamis tend to be localized but can cause great damage.

triplemultiplex

After a few months of quiescence, Kilauea is burping up more lava again.  It's all within the main crater so it ain't going anywhere, but still interesting because it shows how restless that volcano is.  It's been erupting for the vast majority of my life with only two breaks in the action.

SectorZ

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on September 19, 2021, 04:26:32 PM

I didn't realize until reading up moments ago about all the contradictory modeling about the effect of a tsunami around the Atlantic coastline if the collapse of the volcano were to occur.

I guess the east coast of the US is safe from a mega-tsunami, but a 1-2m tsunami along the entire coast would still cost billions in damage. I think it was quite overlooked that you had 1 death and $100M in damage in California from the tsunami from the 2011 Japan quake.

Hopefully none of us will live thru the answer as to what will possibly happen. Meanwhile I'll take solace in my 170' ASL and 25 miles inland location.

bing101

bing101

triplemultiplex

That La Cumbre Vieja eruption mentioned upthread lasted 86 days and did a ton of damage to the western flank of the island, but also added land to La Palma.  It's the longest eruption in recorded history for the island dating back like a thousand years.  Since no one got killed or hurt and the lava moved slow enough for everyone to get their shit out of harm's way, it was about as good as it gets for a billion dollar disaster.

Bruce

The eruption was captured by satellites and basically decimated its island (not a populated one, mind you):

https://twitter.com/US_Stormwatch/status/1482229220415721475

The tsunami made its way across the Pacific and killed 2 people in Peru and forced a few rescues in the U.S. People didn't take the hours of advance warning seriously.

bing101

Here is an update on the Tonga Volcano.

US 89

This was a fascinating eruption. Not only was the erupted ash visible on satellite, but so was the shockwave that was sent out in all directions (and was heard as far away as Alaska). The pressure wave was observed on barometers around the world - in many cases twice over, the second time from the opposite direction.

Pending further analysis, this was likely the largest eruption this planet has seen this century, and could be the biggest since Mt. Pinatubo erupted in the Philippines in 1991. Although the tsunami generated was not particularly large in most cases, it is probably the most significant volcanic tsunami in over 100 years (most tsunamis are generated by large earthquakes).

bing101

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.