What’s your favorite style of BBQ?

Started by OCGuy81, March 28, 2021, 07:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OCGuy81

Do you like more Carolina style which is pork-centric and involves more of a vinegar sauce?

Texas? With it's love of beef?

KC and it's thicker tomato based sauces?

Also, the $64,000 question. Sauce slathered on the meat? Or served on the side?

Mapmikey

Quote from: OCGuy81 on March 28, 2021, 07:58:39 PM
Do you like more Carolina style which is pork-centric and involves more of a vinegar sauce?

There are at least 3 Carolina styles out there...

My favorite is the one you cite, which is eastern NC style.

There is also central NC style (tomato-based...?) and SC style (mustard based).

I have also come to appreciate some Texas brisket.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ilpt4u

Isn't Memphis a style? The BBQ place I frequent claims Memphis-style, anyway

MinecraftNinja

Scott5114

I'm weird and although I like barbecued meats (especially turkey), I can't stand barbeque sauce. Just the meat, please.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

tolbs17

SkyPesos

Memphis style for me, mostly because they focus more on the seasoning on the meat than the sauce. Though that and KC are the only styles I've eaten so far; I will need to find a time to try out the Texas and Carolina styles.

Tom958

I have a fascination with Alabama white barbecue sauce which extends beyond its actual merit.

OCGuy81

Quote from: Mapmikey on March 28, 2021, 08:04:24 PM

I have also come to appreciate some Texas brisket.

Are both NC and SC styles centered more around pork?? I've had some mustard sauces I thought were incredible!

MikeTheActuary

There are a few styles around Memphis, but the meats and the seasoning are generally incredible.  I love dry rubs.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Mapmikey on March 28, 2021, 08:04:24 PM

More details about North Carolina:  Eastern Carolina style versus Lexington style.  Eastern is pulled whole hog pork with vinegar "sauce" that includes red hot pepper seeds, and sometimes other seasoning.  Lexington style is chopped shoulder (folks around here call them picnic hams) with vinegar sauce (no quotes needed) that includes a tad of tomato paste and a mix of spices, sometimes including the red pepper seeds.  There is also a Central Carolina variation around Hillsborough and some parts of Durham, with chopped shoulder (rotisseried over hickory all night long) with Eastern sauce.  The BBQ gurus tend to recommend the latter, lesser known version.

Henry

I think St. Louis style is another type, because I've heard that being advertised for ribs in the past. Although not as well-known as Kansas City or Memphis, St. Louis style does exist.

As for preferred choice, I really don't have one (meaning I love them all), but I prefer the sauce slathered directly onto the meat.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ET21

I've prefer Memphis or Carolina style, but won't argue about any BBQ type. BBQ is excellent
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

OCGuy81

Quote from: Henry on March 29, 2021, 10:25:12 AM
I think St. Louis style is another type, because I've heard that being advertised for ribs in the past. Although not as well-known as Kansas City or Memphis, St. Louis style does exist.

As for preferred choice, I really don't have one (meaning I love them all), but I prefer the sauce slathered directly onto the meat.

I'm the opposite. I like sauce on the side.

It's nice when you're at a place that has an array of sauces. I can try a different sauce with each rib segment!

JayhawkCO

1) Kansas City
2) Memphis
3) Vinegar Carolina (what I call North Carolina style)
4) Texas
5) Mustard Carolina (what I call South Carolina style)

Chris

kurumi

I like the variety of sauces and styles; hard to decide on one, but I'd probably go with Texas.

On my bucket list is a BBQ and bourbon tour of the general I-20/85/64 area.

I'll be a homer and rep our Santa Maria style, which is tri-tip over red oak with a salt/pepper/garlic rub, with salsa on the side, mixed greens and garlic bread.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

hobsini2

As my brother, who is a professional chef, points out, there are about 20 different kinds of BBQ in the US alone. The type of meat makes as much of a difference as the sauce when it comes to the style.

Pork based: Carolina, Alabama, Memphis, St Louis and Iowan
Beef based: Texas, Rocky Mountain
Blended based (could be either): Kansas City, Southwest

Personally, I love Iowan. Pulled Pork or Pork Ribs with a sweet and tangy tomato based sauce.
Least favorite is that Alabama White Sauce crap.

I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

kevinb1994

Carolina, and it looks like I should try more than just the vinegar one (thanks, Mission BBQ!). I'll also have to try some of the Alabama white sauce, if/when I am in the mood for it.

Ned Weasel

I don't know what style, really.  Just pour a bunch of barbecue sauce on a turkey sandwich and give me some extra barbecue sauce that I can dip my fries in, and I'll be happy.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

kphoger

Whatever kind goes in my mouth.

I do like a slightly vinegary flavor, but not too strong.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

frankenroad

I love it all.  I like going places where they have multiple types, so I can have a little of this and a little of that.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

jdb1234

I have probably had several different styles before, but cannot think of which ones directly.  I prefer the sauce to be hot because we make a hot BBQ sauce at home.

Quote from: Tom958 on March 28, 2021, 08:32:40 PM
I have a fascination with Alabama white barbecue sauce which extends beyond its actual merit.

I have never tried that, though a number of BBQ restaurants in town serve it.  Big Bob Gibson BBQ in Decatur is the restaurant that is most well known for Alabama white sauce.

nexus73

If what I am eating tastes great, I am happy!  Sauce on the meat for me please.....

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.