News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

"City" US Routes

Started by IndyWasTaken, February 26, 2024, 10:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndyWasTaken

After scrolling through the AARoads shield gallery, i've found images of these so-called "City Routes", signed with yellow and black shields. Were these the predicessor to "Business" US Routes, or were they an entirely separate thing from Business routes.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: IndyWasTaken on February 26, 2024, 10:35:29 PM
After scrolling through the AARoads shield gallery, i've found images of these so-called "City Routes", signed with yellow and black shields. Were these the predicessor to "Business" US Routes, or were they an entirely separate thing from Business routes.

They were the predecessor to business routes.

Big John

And the yellow business shields continued for a bit as I remembered older Business US 41 signs being yellow.

Molandfreak

Why was the concept of having a different color shield for business loops done away with in the first place? The way Maryland and sometimes Minnesota sign US highway business loops makes way more sense than just tacking a "business" shield on top of a normal highway sign. If that shield is knocked over, it is impossible to tell the difference between the mainline and the business loop until the DOT replaces the sign.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

SEWIGuy

Well, yellow signs are warning signs. So keeping that color didn't make much sense. Furthermore, I think your example is a pretty remote one.

Scott5114

Quote from: Molandfreak on March 20, 2024, 03:23:50 AM
Why was the concept of having a different color shield for business loops done away with in the first place? The way Maryland and sometimes Minnesota sign US highway business loops makes way more sense than just tacking a "business" shield on top of a normal highway sign. If that shield is knocked over, it is impossible to tell the difference between the mainline and the business loop until the DOT replaces the sign.

Signs of colors other than black and white are generally more expensive, since the colors are more prone to fading. Also, the MUTCD doesn't generally permit color variations of US route shield, as Florida found out.

What I don't get is why Interstate and US route business routes are signed completely differently. You'd think they'd either make the business US route green to match the Interstate one, or have a business interstate be the regular tricolor shield with a blue BUSINESS banner. Instead one class of routes does one thing and the other does the other. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense if you think about it for too long.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

mgk920

Wisconsin's US business route signs also used to be yellow.

Mike

Molandfreak

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 20, 2024, 07:03:58 AM

Signs of colors other than black and white are generally more expensive, since the colors are more prone to fading. Also, the MUTCD doesn't generally permit color variations of US route shield, as Florida found out.

What I don't get is why Interstate and US route business routes are signed completely differently. You'd think they'd either make the business US route green to match the Interstate one, or have a business interstate be the regular tricolor shield with a blue BUSINESS banner. Instead one class of routes does one thing and the other does the other. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense if you think about it for too long.
Right, going back to yellow would have no point—but anecdotally all of the Minnesota shields in blue don't seem to have the problem of fading that US Highway signs do in the same assemblies out west. All businesses loops should be in green since it's been established with interstates.
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Molandfreak

Quote from: SEWIGuy on March 20, 2024, 06:36:29 AM
Well, yellow signs are warning signs. So keeping that color didn't make much sense. Furthermore, I think your example is a pretty remote one.
Shakopee isn't a city I would call "remote" at all, but it got a distinguishable style of green business loop 169 shields when that business loop was established.

Big John

Quote from: SEWIGuy on March 20, 2024, 06:36:29 AM
Tell that to Kansas.

epzik8

We do so many things right in Maryland.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.