Longest continuous mileage on one Interstate

Started by Dough4872, February 28, 2024, 11:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dough4872

I wanted to see what is the longest continuous mileage between two points on one Interstate that you have?

For me, it's either I-81 between I-40 in Tennessee and I-78 in Pennsylvania or I-95 between I-85 in Virginia and RI 138 in Rhode Island.

pderocco

jlam

Here are my top 3 for Interstates and US Highways

InterstateExit1Exit2Mileage
I-25NM exit 41WY exit 140858 mi
I-80UT exit 130NE exit 353822 mi
I-15CA exit 150UT exit 385684 mi

US HighwayJct1Jct1Mileage
US 85I-25 (41)Meadows Pkwy W606 mi
US 87I-25 (451)I-25 (140)450 mi
US 287I-40 (70)I-70 (288)406 mi

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

formulanone

For me, I think it's I-95 from Miami, Florida to Waterford, Maine; 1732 miles. I haven't finished a few sections in Maine.

Quote from: pderocco on February 29, 2024, 12:16:30 AM
Define "continuous".

In the typical parlance of our forum's membership:

1) a non-trivial, non-zero amount which doesn't include airport layovers nor use Clearview

2) any way you define it.

NWI_Irish96

1072 miles on I-70, from Indianapolis, IN, to Denver, CO.
880 miles on I-90, from Rapid City, SD, to Schaumburg, IL.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

JayhawkCO

I know someone already asked, but for a definition of continuous - are we talking on one trip? Or is this just an approximation of longest highway you've clinched?

I've clinched I-70, but I've never driven from Cove Fort to Baltimore.

If one trip, I've done I-80 from San Francisco to Cheyenne. (And, if I remember right, we have a thread for that )

boilerup25

Here's my records:

782 miles on I-95 from the I-4/FL 400 interchange in Florida to the I-95/I-395/I-495 interchange in Springfield, VA.
699 miles on I-70 from Breezewood, PA to St. Louis, MO.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 29, 2024, 08:46:54 AM
I know someone already asked, but for a definition of continuous - are we talking on one trip? Or is this just an approximation of longest highway you've clinched?

If one trip, I've done I-80 from San Francisco to Cheyenne. (And, if I remember right, we have a thread for that )

My criteria was continuous on a single trip, only exiting for food/gas/lodging.

Rothman

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on February 29, 2024, 09:02:00 AM

I think we already have a thread for that one somewhere.

To the archives!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

7/8

By this definition (which OP should confirm), mine is approx. 1342 km (834 mi) on I-80 heading west from I-90 in Lake Station, IN to I-76 in Big Springs, NE

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jlam

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Rothman on February 29, 2024, 09:23:50 AM
Bingo:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=18851.0

I was interpreting that thread as the longest interstate fully clinched, from end to end.

I'm interpreting this thread to be most continuous mileage on a single interstate, which may or may not result in a full clinch.

At least my answers reflect that.

kphoger

Quote from: jlam on February 29, 2024, 09:58:58 AM
There's also a newer thread:
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=29936.0

Ah, thanks!  That made it easy.

748 miles if I-35W counts as part of I-35.
661 miles if not.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

So it sounds like we have consensus on being just overall longest clinched segments, and not just on one trip. My five longest:

2,445 miles on I-80 from its western terminus in San Francisco to I-71 in Strongville, OH
2,385 miles on I-90 from its western terminus in Seattle to its split with I-80 in Amherst Township, OH
2,192 miles on I-70 from its western terminus in Cove Fort, UT to its eastern terminus in the city of Baltimore, MD
1,916 miles on I-95 from its southern terminus in Miami, FL to its its northern terminus in Houston, ME
1,368 miles on I-94 from MT47 in Custer, MT to I-69 in Marshall Township, MI

Rothman

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on February 29, 2024, 10:23:58 AM
Quote from: Rothman on February 29, 2024, 09:23:50 AM
Bingo:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=18851.0

I was interpreting that thread as the longest interstate fully clinched, from end to end.

I'm interpreting this thread to be most continuous mileage on a single interstate, which may or may not result in a full clinch.

At least my answers reflect that.
Hmmm...still think we have a thread on this somewhere...

To the archives!

Rothman

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Rothman on February 29, 2024, 12:57:10 PM
Bingo! :D

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=29936.msg2647613#msg2647613

This is still a different topic than that (and you're just Bingo-ing a thread already linked to above by jlam.) This is "what's the longest line you have highlighted as a clinch on your atlas of travels", nothing to do with one trip or non-stop. I started a thread a while back which is kind of the opposite -- what's your longest untraveled segment on an interstate.

Rothman

Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 29, 2024, 12:59:35 PM
Quote from: Rothman on February 29, 2024, 12:57:10 PM
Bingo! :D

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=29936.msg2647613#msg2647613

This is still a different topic than those. This is "what's the longest line you have highlighted as a clinch on your atlas of travels", nothing to do with one trip or non-stop.

That was actually your own tangent in that thread, which should have been separated out.

The thread's main topic was the longest one stayed on one particular highway in one trip per the table compiled in Reply 260...and the thread's own title...and OP...

So, more encompassing than this thread and therefore better.

Rothman

Threads could be merged and I could update the table in the original thread with the responses in here.

GaryV

Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 29, 2024, 10:51:23 AM
So it sounds like we have consensus on being just overall longest clinched segments, and not just on one trip.

In that case, I-75 from Atlanta to northern terminus in SSM, approximately 1070 miles.

If you count as a passenger as a kid, I can add the length from Atlanta to Naples, another 600 or so miles.

(Yes, I know, I should look up the route logs to find out exactly how far, but I'm lazy and used Google Maps)

EDIT: This was in several trips over the course of decades, so it doesn't fit into the other 1-trip threads.

Dough4872

My intent of longest continuous mileage was the most mileage between two points along one highway. It does not necessarily have to be from one trip, can be from several trips that can combine for the continuous mileage. Also exiting the highway and getting back on at the same exit doesn't break it either.

Rothman

Thank you for that clarification after the earlier confusion and responses.

I-80, 2730 miles for me, then.

Of course, we have people who have clinched most of the Interstate Highway System, so they'll have the big 'uns.

pderocco

Using that, I'd say my really long near-non-stop trips were all back in the 1990s. I didn't have GPS, or keep super-detailed logs in those days, but these were partly business trips, so I wasn't doing any sightseeing. They include:

December 1993, about 1815 miles on I-10 from Los Angeles CA to Baton Rouge LA
November 1995, the same trip in the reverse direction
June 1997, about 1540 miles on I-94 from the west end to Detroit MI
July 1999, about 2083 miles on I-70 from the west end to Frederick, MD
September 1999, about 1981 miles on I-80 from Davenport IA to the west end

Since those days, my driving habits and lifestyle choices have led me to avoid long trips on Interstates in favor of more exploration. The only really long drive I've done on one road in recent years was last October, exactly 1234 miles on I-40 from Little Rock AR to Williams AZ.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.