News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

License Plate News

Started by Alex, February 04, 2010, 10:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: SP Cook on April 20, 2017, 02:20:13 PM
In fact all Central American countries do that, either the same way or after the name of the country

Panamá says "hola."

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

oscar

Quote from: SP Cook on April 21, 2017, 09:31:12 AM
Same principle drives the joke around here where when you tell people you are from West Virginia, they tell you they "have a cousin in Richmond".   The degree of geographic illiteracy among non road geeks is vast.

To be semi-fair to those people, they might've been unclear about whether you were talking about the state of West Virginia, or the western region of Virginia (parts of which are west of West Virginia).

But yeah, geographically Richmond doesn't have a lot to do with either West Virginia or western Virginia, so the "cousin in Richmond" reference is pretty lame either way.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

SP Cook

Quote from: oscar on April 21, 2017, 12:23:48 PM

To be semi-fair to those people, they might've been unclear about whether you were talking about the state of West Virginia, or the western region of Virginia (parts of which are west of West Virginia).

But yeah, geographically Richmond doesn't have a lot to do with either West Virginia or western Virginia, so the "cousin in Richmond" reference is pretty lame either way.

The general practice in the area involved is that the western part of Virginia, say the part west of I-77 or the eastern continental divide, is "southwestern Virginia", while the southern part of West Virginia is "southern West Virginia".  I have heard people say "southeastern West Virginia"  to mean, more or less the Greenbrier, Bluestone, New river area, but I don't know what you would call the western half of southern West Virginia in that manner.

kphoger

Quote from: SP Cook on April 21, 2017, 12:41:07 PM
I don't know what you would call the western half of southern West Virginia in that manner.

Southwest double-u vee?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

adt1982

Quote from: paulthemapguy on April 13, 2017, 10:46:25 PM
From what I can tell, it looks like Illinois planned to implement the new LL-NNNNN configuration on Jan 1 of this year...but they ran out of L-NNNNNN combinations before the switch was planned.   :-D  :pan: So, at the tail end of 2016 they issued a bunch of LL-NNNNN combinations at the end of the alphabet.  So now there's a bunch of LL-NNNNN plates starting with ZU, ZV, ZX, and ZY on the old plate design, in addition to the AB, AC, AD etc. appearing on the new plate design.

They started with ZZ and worked backwards to ZY, ZX, ZV, and then ZU.  I have also seen a few Z-NNNNNN on the new style plates, which I find interesting.

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: kphoger on April 20, 2017, 02:32:03 PM
Quote from: SP Cook on April 20, 2017, 02:20:13 PM
To what end?  To distinguish it from the other Nicaragua in Africa?  I mean, wouldn't you know what sub-continent you live on?
Kind of like this one?

This, by the way, is an example of a glitch in the issuance of New Mexico plates. It is part of a small series that was issued on trailer plate blanks. The standard plate had, and still has, the legend "Land of Enchantment" and also a graphic image of a yucca in the lower left corner of the plate.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

SD Mapman

Quote from: corco on March 04, 2016, 12:17:21 AM
New Wyoming plates started appearing last month for 2-year registrations. One year registrations will wait another year for the new plates.

Not too bad - we'll see how they age.

-snip-

Interestingly, two digit counties will return to being stacked so that toll roads will understand them.
http://sundancetimes.com/new-license-plates-revealed/
These are appearing now; here's a new image since to old one wasn't showing up.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Alex

Saw several examples of the new OK base plate in Colorado last week, and at least two of Nebraska's.

kphoger

Quote from: Alex on May 01, 2017, 08:38:37 AM
Nebraska's.

Huh.  You know, I've been seeing these for a couple of weeks now, and I thought they were special issue.  I'm sad to see the 2011-2016 base disappear.
Male pronouns, please.

Road Hog

Bumping to report I have spotted the first Arkansas 7-digit license plate ... at a gas station in Texas.

AAT 1999.

A little surprised to see one so soon. I thought they still had a lot of Z's to work through.

rlb2024

Quote from: Road Hog on June 25, 2018, 09:13:42 PM
Bumping to report I have spotted the first Arkansas 7-digit license plate ... at a gas station in Texas.

AAT 1999.

A little surprised to see one so soon. I thought they still had a lot of Z's to work through.
Mississippi has also started issuing 7-digit plates.  Looks to be same 3-letter county groupings, but with 4 numbers.

MikeTheActuary

Québec is going to start allowing vanity plates: http://www.tvanouvelles.ca/2018/07/03/bientot-des-plaques-dimmatriculation-personnalisee  (French, but understandable in Google Translate)

The High Plains Traveler

Colorado has apparently started issuing new plates using an ABC-D12 sequence. I say "apparently" because to date, I've only seen them in person on special issue plates. At least previously, these plates, like all other plates, have been drawn from the same pool of combinations which until recently has been ABC-123. Special issue plates are flat process and made to order. However, I also saw on TV a shot of a police vehicle that had an embossed plate with a GVT code with a combination using this new sequence. It's almost sure, therefore, that in a short time, we will see standard passenger car plates using the same series.

The ABC-123 plates use the same sequence as plates issued around 1985-93, which have never been called in. They're rare, but you still see some on the road. At first, the new plates were issued using all the possible Q combinations, then the O combinations, neither of which would have been used in the original issuance. Then, they started in at AAA-001 and went forward. The intent was to simply skip any combination still in use on an earlier issue plate. But, I suspect that it has proven difficult to avoid existing plates, and a decision was made to stop issuing plates in the ABC-123 series some time in the mid D##- sequence and go to the new series.

kphoger

Just saw new Missouri license plates over Christmas vacation.  Bicentennial edition, replaces the bluebird issue.
Male pronouns, please.

thenetwork

My wife just got new plates in W. Colorado, and they were up to VKO-xxx.  I was starting to wonder what will happen when they reach "Z" plates.

I still love the old periwinkle plates with the county stamped into the plate and the state name *NOT* in the standard font.  Those are a rarity, but are still found in the wild.

kphoger

Quote from: thenetwork on December 29, 2018, 10:43:26 AM
My wife just got new plates in W. Colorado, and they were up to VKO-xxx.  I was starting to wonder what will happen when they reach "Z" plates.

Yep, they've already dipped into the Qs.
Male pronouns, please.

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: kphoger on December 29, 2018, 11:15:30 AM
Quote from: thenetwork on December 29, 2018, 10:43:26 AM

Yep, they've already dipped into the Qs.
Actually, all possible combinations containing Q have now been produced, except that plates using the new sequence will presumably have I, O and Q produced in the normal alphabetical order.

After the 123-ABC series plates were completed, including running through the entire sequence to get all the possible Q combinations (mid-2015), plates have been produced in the following order:
QAA- to QZZ- (Q in first position)
RAA- to RD?-. This was either an inadvertent overrun into the next sequential series, or intentional with the intention of doing subsequent plates in sequence to ZZZ. This is where duplications  of existing plates started to occur, so they went back to finishing the Q plates.
AQA- to ZQZ- (all Q in second position combinations)
AAQ- to ZZQ- (all Q in third position combinations)
OAA- to OZZ- (all O in first position combinations)
AOA- to ZOZ- (all O in second position combinations)
AAO- to ZZO- (all O in third position combinations).
This was maybe 1-1/2 years ago when they reached this point. I expected to see plates with I produced as with Q and O, but then normal sequencing starting with AAA-001 began. I bought a new truck last summer, and was issued a plate with BRH-nnn.

I've seen embossed plates through the  mid-D series, mostly non-standard categories like Fleet. I think that's the point they started the ABC-D12 series. So, if anyone just got a plate ending with O, that plate had sat around their county clerk's office for a while.

SP Cook

WV is getting a new state owned plate series:

http://wvmetronews.com/2019/01/01/the-state-fleet-now-has-new-license-plates/

Legislative auditor (only part of state government that is trustworty) did audit of the old system, which issued "never expires" plates on demand to any agency.  Lots of fraud and abuse, from managers keeping plates in a drawer so they would have them if they needed them (and thus paying insurance on a non existent car) to stolen plates being used for years to surplus cars sold with the plates on them.  Big issue was the DMV was so incompetent it had no actual idea how many plates had been issued, it and the state agencies were 1000s off in their count. 

New system will require an "eyes on" system where the vehicle will have to be physically shown to the DMV every other year. 

PHLBOS

Quote from: SP Cook on January 02, 2019, 10:33:13 AMWV is getting a new state owned plate series:
Looks a little bit like older NJ plates.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on December 29, 2018, 10:38:16 AM
Just saw new Missouri license plates over Christmas vacation.  Bicentennial edition, replaces the bluebird issue.

Neglected to include a photo.

Male pronouns, please.

SD Mapman

Kansas has shifted from an embossed plate to a decal plate (the design has not changed, however).
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

kphoger

Quote from: SD Mapman on January 15, 2019, 12:18:54 AM
Kansas has shifted from an embossed plate to a decal plate (the design has not changed, however).

Decal?  They are screen-printed.
Male pronouns, please.

rawmustard

Michigan has fully approved the use of digital plates. The creator of Rplate will work with the Secretary of State on the rollout.

mgk920

Quote from: rawmustard on January 18, 2019, 09:06:37 AM
Michigan has fully approved the use of digital plates. The creator of Rplate will work with the Secretary of State on the rollout.

And then the car gets fender-bendered, requiring an expensive replacement.

Mike

kphoger

Sadly, digital license plates still look like license plates, which means Michiganders aren't liberated from the ugly rectangular blemishes on their vehicles.

I disagree with the author on that one.  I've always thought a car with no (rear) license plate looks exceedingly strange.  Maybe if there weren't even a spot for one, it would look better.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.