News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Oregon mileposts inverted?

Started by Quillz, February 26, 2019, 01:07:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sp_redelectric

Quote from: Alps on March 10, 2019, 12:57:59 AM
How do they inventory a negative milepost - is there an actual minus sign on there? This is hot stuff!

Yes, there is a negative/minus sign.  I actually was out there and got a close-up photo of it but I can't upload it directly here...

corco

Quote from: polarscribe on March 10, 2019, 02:49:01 PM
Quote from: sparker on March 01, 2019, 05:16:18 PM
Oregon has much the same situation; a lot of state-maintained roads, often in rural areas, without signage;
Having grown up in California, that's something I've definitely noticed about Oregon: reassurance markers are almost nonexistent on a lot of state highways (at least out here in the east side). You'd be lucky to see a single shield between junctions.

It's because they put the reassurance marker at the appropriate t-intersection perpendicular instead of on the roadway itself. Most of the state routes in Oregon have a shield posted at nearly every t-intersection visible to traffic turning onto the highway in rural areas. Other states don't do that. There's definitely pros and cons to that approach.

sp_redelectric

Quote from: polarscribe on March 10, 2019, 02:49:01 PM
Having grown up in California, that's something I've definitely noticed about Oregon: reassurance markers are almost nonexistent on a lot of state highways

I have never found any consistency with ODOT for reassurance markers.  Some areas are very well signed; there's even a stretch of U.S. 26 westbound in Beaverton that has three reassurance markers within one mile!  But Oregon 99W, once you get off I-5 in Tigard...not a single reassurance marker until...ugh...I think on the south side of Sherwood.  Oregon 99E has a number of reassurance markers in N.E. Portland (odd since that stretch is city maintained).  Oregon 10 continues to be signed on Barbur for some oddball reason.  But to this day the 15X secondary highways are unsigned (most of these are likely to remain in state jurisdiction for years to come) as are the 14X secondaries (some of these will probably revert to city/county control before too long).

Oregon 6 is another highway that seems to be well signed, with reassurance markers literally in the middle of nowhere.

ClassicHasClass

US 395, US 730 and US 20 aren't too badly signed in Oregon. On the other hand, OR 37 was pretty dismal.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.