News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Longest route you’ve seen both ends of

Started by fillup420, October 23, 2017, 10:47:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SectorZ

Interstate 84 (east), and in fact going from Mass to PA all at once.

roadman

The downfall of driverless cars:  A great idea.  But what went so wrong?
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Bickendan

I-5
I-94
US 101
A trip to Everett would add US 2 (western) to the list

7/8

In Canada: ON 7 (535.7 km)

In the states: I-476 (212.6 km) - also clinched :)

kkt

ilpt4u

I'd probably have to say (present) I-57. Seen both ends in Sikeston and Chicago's South Side

I'm not sure if I have it clinched, as I can't think of a time I drove from the I-57/I-94/Dan Ryan/Bishop Ford Junction and the I-57/Tri-State/I-294 Junction

Next time I have a car up in Chicago, I will need to find an excuse to drive that short section of I-57. I've ridden the (mostly) parallel Canadian National/Illinois Central tracks on the Amtrak Routes between Carbondale and Union Station, Chicago (Illini, Saluki, and City of New Orleans trains) plenty of times

Close on I-80, but took the Lincoln Tunnel across the River in NY/NJ, not the Washington Bridge. Walked around the Western end of I-80 in Downtown San Fran a few years back

pianocello

I-55. Still need a few spots in the middle for a full clinch, though.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

US 89

Quote from: Big John on October 23, 2017, 03:05:18 PM
I-90 on separate vacations to Seattle and Boston.

Same, except I am missing between WA 519 and I-5 (does that count?) Otherwise my interstates are 82 (which is also my only 2di clinch) and western 86.

For US Highways, my longest for sure is US 189 at 322 miles. Honorable mention is US 89, which I am missing the last 10 miles between Babb and Canada (but I don't have the rest clinched).

Duke87

Like a few others here I have seen both ends of I-90, but that's actually not the longest for me. I have also been to both ends of US 30, which is a few dozen miles longer. And the definitive answer for me since there are only two longer routes in the US (US 6 and US 20), and I have not been to the western end of either of those.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

TheHighwayMan3561

Clinched route: I-35

Non-clinched route: I-25
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Roadsguy

I was initially thinking it'd be I-476 or the PA Turnpike mainline, if that counts as a "route", but the answer hands down is US 13, though I don't think I've actually been on it at its southern end. I've only passed through on 95 or exited onto 295.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

mgk920

Me?

Likely I-24.  Clinched it, too.

In-state, I've also seen both ends of WI 13, WI 16, WI 23, WI 29, WI 32, WI 33, WI 35 and several other of Wisconsin's longer state highways.

Mike

amroad17

I-80, which I have clinched, and I-40, also clinched.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

ilpt4u

Quote from: mgk920 on October 23, 2017, 08:18:16 PM
Likely I-24.  Clinched it, too.
I have clinched I-24, thinking about it. Been a long while, tho. So seen both ends there

Seen both ends of I-74 too, not counting that craziness in NC

Jim

Here are the longest "connected routes" in the TM database:

| US12         |        |                                                                               |   2473.83 |
| I-10         |        |                                                                               |   2495.43 |
| AH2          |        |                                                                               |   2565.72 |
| I-40         |        |                                                                               |    2577.2 |
| US60         |        |                                                                               |   2652.09 |
| G30          |        |                                                                               |   2660.75 |
| AH61         |        |                                                                               |   2848.25 |
| AH5          |        | Central Asia                                                                  |   2852.89 |
| I-80         |        |                                                                               |   2935.12 |
| US50         |        |                                                                               |   3000.69 |
| AH70         |        |                                                                               |   3011.48 |
| AH8          |        |                                                                               |   3097.56 |
| US30         |        |                                                                               |   3102.42 |
| I-90         |        |                                                                               |   3106.42 |
| E50          |        |                                                                               |   3118.78 |
| US6          |        |                                                                               |   3210.03 |
| US20         |        |                                                                               |      3304 |
| E30          |        | Netherlands - Russia                                                          |   3364.47 |
| AH1          |        | South and West Asia                                                           |   3666.92 |
| AH7          |        |                                                                               |   3681.12 |
| TCH          |        | (Main)                                                                        |   3877.16 |
| AH2          |        |                                                                               |   3998.12 |
| AH4          |        |                                                                               |   4156.44 |
| AH6          |        |                                                                               |   4577.55 |
| AH1          |        | East & South East Asia                                                        |   4973.37 |
| E40          |        |                                                                               |    5400.8 |

The longest I've clinched is I-90, but I have seen both ends of US 20, so that's my winner for this category.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

jp the roadgeek

As a passenger, would be either I-87, I-91, or US 5.

As a driver, would either be I-295 (including future extension to the PA Turnpike interchange), US 222, or NJ/NY 94.  Didn't drive the portion of NY 94 from NY 32 to US 9W, but I saw it on a trip down US 9W.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Revive 755

Seen both ends but not clinched:  I-80, though several years apart on a different trips.

Seen both ends and clinched:  I-57.  I'm close to getting western I-74, only need to get the mainline ramp movements at the two I-465 interchanges.

fillup420

Oh wait, I remembered I have also seen both ends of US 491. This was on the same trip that I saw the west end of US 64. We took a detour on US 160 to see Four Corners, then made our way back to US 491 to get to I-40.

SignGeek101

Ontario Highway 17 (1964 km)

I've clinched about half of it.

fillup420

Quote from: ilpt4u on October 23, 2017, 08:51:30 PM
Seen both ends of I-74 too, not counting that craziness in NC

I have actually seen every end of I-74 in NC. There are currently 6 "termini" in the state.

MikeTheActuary

Longest route where both ends have been visited:  I-90

Longest route clinched:  I-64, I believe.

kurumi

I-84 eastern (232.39 mi) - clinched (entire length)
CA 99 (424.85 mi) - both ends, but not entire length
US 101 (1,540 mi) - both ends
oh wait
US 6 (3,198.87) - both ends
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

theline

For me the longest route I've seen both ends of is I-65 (887 miles) in Gary and Mobile. I've also clinched it in slow motion, over a period of 40 or so years.

Longer near misses include US 31 (1280 miles) and I-90 (3020 miles). I've seen the north terminus of 31 near Mackinaw City, but didn't go east from Mobile to Spanish Fort. I've been to the west terminus of 90 in Seattle, but haven't made it to downtown Boston. I've not come close to clinching either of those routes.

RobbieL2415

Seen both ends of I-84 (E), I-395 (CT, MA), NJ 700 (NJ Turnpike), US 113, Taconic State Parkway, Hutchinson River Parkway/CT 15 (including all parkways and the Wilbur Cross Highway), CT/MA/VT 8.

oscar

Quote from: Duke87 on October 23, 2017, 07:57:51 PM
Like a few others here I have seen both ends of I-90, but that's actually not the longest for me. I have also been to both ends of US 30, which is a few dozen miles longer. And the definitive answer for me since there are only two longer routes in the US (US 6 and US 20), and I have not been to the western end of either of those.

I have been on all of both US 6 and US 20, so those would be on my list. But I suspect (too tired to check out) that the mainline of the Trans-Canada Highway, from Victoria BC to St. John's NL, would be longest of them all for me.

The Pan-American Highway (even just the part north of the Darien Gap) would be a possibility for someone else, but not me since I have very little mileage outside the U.S. and Canada.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.