News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

September Headlines about California Highways

Started by cahwyguy, October 01, 2017, 03:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cahwyguy

Here's my monthly post with headlines about California's highways. Ready. Set. Discuss.

http://cahighways.org/wordpress/?p=13375
Daniel - California Highway Guy ● Highway Site: http://www.cahighways.org/ ●  Blog: http://blog.cahighways.org/ ● Podcast (CA Route by Route): http://caroutebyroute.org/ ● Follow California Highways on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cahighways

sparker

Quote from: cahwyguy on October 01, 2017, 03:23:25 PM
Here's my monthly post with headlines about California's highways. Ready. Set. Discuss.

http://cahighways.org/wordpress/?p=13375

Where to start -- pretty diverse batch of info here.  OK, here goes:

Freight-route bridge reconstruction.  The article only mentioned a few select projects; among those were the Wheeler Ridge I-5/CA 99 separation -- and how some overpasses needed to be raised or reconstructed to meet Interstate standards.  The only structures within this interchange are the actual I-5 NB main lanes flyover and the SB CA 99-to-I-5 truck lane separation, with the main SB I-5 auto lanes on top.  It's the (presently) non-Interstate CA 99 that ducks under both bridges.  Without engaging in premature speculation -- CA 99 is the most truck-heavy non-Interstate freeway in the nation; it's hard to imagine that bridge reconstruction geared toward freight arterials won't impact that corridor -- perhaps to the extent of widening/reconstructing substandard overpasses (coincidentally the principal obstacle to potential Interstate designation) over a greater portion of the route, particularly the older sections (Delano-Goshen, Chowchilla, and sporadic sections north of Merced).  I for one would like to see a more detailed breakdown of just what is planned for this project concept to see just what is "in the works".

North County (Modesto-Oakdale) Expressway.  Looks pretty straightforward -- freeway in the denser Modesto area with an expressway extension (complete with Caltrans' new obsession, roundabouts) out past Oakdale.  Only have two questions -- is this designated as a realignment of CA 108? -- and are there plans, present or future, to extend the freeway section west to CA 99 somewhere north of central Modesto?  Okay, 2.5 questions -- if the extension to CA 99 is built, will CA 219 be decommissioned, since the new facility will likely parallel that route?

CA 174 reconstruction between Colfax and Grass Valley.  What is not stated in the article is that there is a lot of housing construction; mostly single homes but occasional "clusters" of mostly 2nd homes for well-off Bay Area and/or Sacramento residents strung out along this corridor.  It's close enough to amenities (Grass Valley, Auburn) but far enough out to afford some degree of isolation (and there's a private airport south of Nevada City for those with that transportation resource).  It's also near the upper Bear River fly-fishing area, one of the more popular in that region.  It's no wonder that traffic has increased on the underpowered 174 to the point of becoming problematic.  But some of the long-term area residents have had standing objections to the level of housing development -- but so far haven't been able to effect no-or-slow-growth measures in Nevada County outside of the incorporated towns themselves.  So far Placer County, on the south side of the Bear River, hasn't chimed in yet -- but their territory, unlike that north of the river, features much steeper hillsides (just NW of Colfax) and is less amenable to larger-scale development.  So stay tuned -- this could turn into a classic battle of long-time residents vs. new money -- and it's pretty clear where the developers' preference lies!  Ironically, the CA 174 corridor has seen multiple large wildfires over the past decade with dozens of residences burned -- but folks keep rebuilding, so it's hardly a self-correcting situation!

Conversion of LA-area HOV lanes to 3+.  The driver backlash would be immense -- particularly in Orange County and the Inland Empire, where sentiments tend toward disfavor of HOV lanes -- but, de facto, the locals like them for getting around when more than one family member is in the vehicle.  Making it tougher to do so would likely result in repercussions up the food chain -- transportation agencies, city councils, county supervisors, state legislators, etc.  This won't be a unilateral declaration -- it'll have to be publicly vetted to have any chance of advancing -- but stands a good chance of wilting & dying en route!

I noticed that our own Max contributed the Fresno-area "grand tour" of what's left of old US 99 -- nice pix as usual.  However -- the Belmont traffic circle was actually part of historic 99 (I remember it as a young kid before the downtown freeway bypass was built); it was of a large-enough diameter to allow the trucks of the era to readily negotiate it. 

Max Rockatansky

^^^

Sparker, do you know when that traffic circle on Belmont was built or roughly the era?  I haven't been able to find really much of anything on when that structure was actually built but you're right that it sure is wide enough for truckers to use somewhat easily.  Interesting that a group in Bakersfield is trying to get US 99 Historic signage, too bad that ship really has sailed with Fresno's street grid being carved up.

In regards to the New Priest Grade on CA 120, those turnouts are way over due.  There is a surprising amount of truck traffic on the New Priest Grade on top of what you get with the RV crowds.   The truckers usually have to cross the center line which gets pretty dicey since they either do it at speed or slow down to avoid doing it with traffic.  Generally I'd say the Old Priest Grade is a better bet for cars since RVs and trucks are prohibited on it....granted I believe it is an 18% incline.

I've seen some of the pictures of the construction at the Mud Creek Slide on CA 1 in Big Sur.  Honestly I think next summer for a reopening is really optimistic and it wouldn't surprise me if there is delays.  The Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge opening has been pushed back until at least the 24th this month...which I've been waiting on for a long time incidentally.

Quillz

Twice now, I've wanted to take CA-1 all the way from SLO up to Monterey and pass by Big Sur, but haven't been able to because of the road closure. So it seems it still won't be a complete route for a while. Taking a long, inland alternate kind of defeats the purpose.

Just came back from spending a week on the Redwood Coast, and things are in much better shape than they were back in February. But there are still several segments of CA-1 and US-101 that have temporary traffic lights since at least half the roadway has been washed out and is being rebuilt. There's also some construction going on in Arcata, looks like some new asphalt is being laid down directly next to US-101. Perhaps this is related to that "safety corridor" becoming a freeway around 2019 or so?

sparker

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 02, 2017, 12:25:03 AM
^^^

Sparker, do you know when that traffic circle on Belmont was built or roughly the era?  I haven't been able to find really much of anything on when that structure was actually built but you're right that it sure is wide enough for truckers to use somewhat easily.  Interesting that a group in Bakersfield is trying to get US 99 Historic signage, too bad that ship really has sailed with Fresno's street grid being carved up.

In regards to the New Priest Grade on CA 120, those turnouts are way over due.  There is a surprising amount of truck traffic on the New Priest Grade on top of what you get with the RV crowds.   The truckers usually have to cross the center line which gets pretty dicey since they either do it at speed or slow down to avoid doing it with traffic.  Generally I'd say the Old Priest Grade is a better bet for cars since RVs and trucks are prohibited on it....granted I believe it is an 18% incline.

I've seen some of the pictures of the construction at the Mud Creek Slide on CA 1 in Big Sur.  Honestly I think next summer for a reopening is really optimistic and it wouldn't surprise me if there is delays.  The Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge opening has been pushed back until at least the 24th this month...which I've been waiting on for a long time incidentally.

From the architecture of the Belmont RR underpass, I'd venture a guess that the Belmont traffic circle dates from somewhere between 1927 and 1934.  If I have some time (right in the middle of a major work project) I'll peruse old CH & PW articles to narrow it down (unless you get to it first [hint, hint!]).  IIRC, it was one of only a few on the state highway system pre-WWII (the others being Los Alamitos circle in Long Beach and the Chapman circle in the center of Orange, which was never on a SSR, only an unmarked urban LRN). 

I usually use Old Priest when returning from Yosemite (a friend showed me that shortcut about 35 years ago) -- too many slow RV's on 120.  Only avoid it in foul weather.   

froggie

Quote from: sparkerConversion of LA-area HOV lanes to 3+.  The driver backlash would be immense -- particularly in Orange County and the Inland Empire, where sentiments tend toward disfavor of HOV lanes -- but, de facto, the locals like them for getting around when more than one family member is in the vehicle.  Making it tougher to do so would likely result in repercussions up the food chain -- transportation agencies, city councils, county supervisors, state legislators, etc.  This won't be a unilateral declaration -- it'll have to be publicly vetted to have any chance of advancing -- but stands a good chance of wilting & dying en route!

Is this being done due to heavy traffic/congestion in the HOV lanes at the existing HOV-2?  If so, then it's A) a sign that the HOV lanes are successful, and B) being proposed in order to keep speeds up in the lanes.  Sure, those who are currently traveling HOV-2 will be pissed, but traffic congestion is a valid reason for bumping them from HOV-2 to HOV-3.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: sparker on October 02, 2017, 02:16:44 AM
^^^

From the architecture of the Belmont RR underpass, I'd venture a guess that the Belmont traffic circle dates from somewhere between 1927 and 1934.  If I have some time (right in the middle of a major work project) I'll peruse old CH & PW articles to narrow it down (unless you get to it first [hint, hint!]).  IIRC, it was one of only a few on the state highway system pre-WWII (the others being Los Alamitos circle in Long Beach and the Chapman circle in the center of Orange, which was never on a SSR, only an unmarked urban LRN). 

I usually use Old Priest when returning from Yosemite (a friend showed me that shortcut about 35 years ago) -- too many slow RV's on 120.  Only avoid it in foul weather.   

That roundabout is definitely 20s/30s style construction.  I had a closer look on the GSV and my photos, it really does have period architecture follows the edge of that roundabout.  I was hoping those S&P bridges would have a date on them that I missed, unfortunately they do not.  I'll see what I can find today, I'd like to make an update regarding that roundabout if possible. 

I want to say the new Priest Grade was something like 5% but takes 4.5-5 miles to travel up the same hill that the Old Priest Grade does in two.  There is actually a series of old Hetch Hetchey Railroad switchbacks that can reached via Priest Street on the Old Priest Grade.  The real scary thing is that Google Maps will actually try to route you up the switch backs if you request a route between Moccasin and Priest:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Moccasin,+CA/Priest,+CA+95311/@37.8129855,-120.294679,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x8090d7b2e7f0c3d1:0xc356902358cbb35f!2m2!1d-120.2991565!2d37.8108901!1m5!1m1!1s0x8090d66a3f7a8f2f:0x4f7617e74bdd9257!2m2!1d-120.2726907!2d37.8140949?hl=en

Plutonic Panda

A few irritating things in there but some good news too or what could be. I'm especially interested in the 710 Expansion. I really hope to see this come to fruition. Assuming Alt. 7 is chosen and funding is found, what are the chances this gets wrapped up in another "endless"  lawsuit?

Also, it mentions the interchange at CA 91 could have ramps as high as 185ft!!! Wow. Would that put this up there as the tallest in the world? For reference, the High Five in Dallas is about 130-140 Ft. if memory serves right.

sparker

Quote from: froggie on October 02, 2017, 08:13:39 AM
Quote from: sparkerConversion of LA-area HOV lanes to 3+.  The driver backlash would be immense -- particularly in Orange County and the Inland Empire, where sentiments tend toward disfavor of HOV lanes -- but, de facto, the locals like them for getting around when more than one family member is in the vehicle.  Making it tougher to do so would likely result in repercussions up the food chain -- transportation agencies, city councils, county supervisors, state legislators, etc.  This won't be a unilateral declaration -- it'll have to be publicly vetted to have any chance of advancing -- but stands a good chance of wilting & dying en route!

Is this being done due to heavy traffic/congestion in the HOV lanes at the existing HOV-2?  If so, then it's A) a sign that the HOV lanes are successful, and B) being proposed in order to keep speeds up in the lanes.  Sure, those who are currently traveling HOV-2 will be pissed, but traffic congestion is a valid reason for bumping them from HOV-2 to HOV-3.

Not commenting on the validity of the concept; just stating what will be the likely result if and when a switch to 3+ for the HOV lanes is relayed to the public.  Another possible outcome is the ongoing push to convert HOV to HOT lanes might gain some traction via this particular action; while the aim of the passenger increase may indeed be to "thin the herd", so to speak, it will likely be interpreted in some quarters, regardless of veracity, as just another shot across the bow to the driving public in general -- and subsequently used as ammunition against the historic HOV concept.   

Quillz

I was driving back home from the Bay Area a couple days ago and was surprised that CA-35 was closed (to thru traffic) south of the CA-9 junction. I was hoping to clinch this route, although I suppose I got to drive on CA-9, so that was a plus. But is it known when CA-35 is planned to reopen?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Quillz on October 02, 2017, 07:15:30 PM
I was driving back home from the Bay Area a couple days ago and was surprised that CA-35 was closed (to thru traffic) south of the CA-9 junction. I was hoping to clinch this route, although I suppose I got to drive on CA-9, so that was a plus. But is it known when CA-35 is planned to reopen?

The QuickMap says January 15th next year.  The whole side of the road slid off the side of the mountain, it won't be an easy rebuild.  I was hoping to use all of 35 in back February but it was already wiped out south of 9 from the winter storms.  I ended up taking 236 instead which was surreal with all the tree debris and junk all over the roadway.

andy3175

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 02, 2017, 08:29:14 AM
Quote from: sparker on October 02, 2017, 02:16:44 AM
^^^

That roundabout is definitely 20s/30s style construction.  I had a closer look on the GSV and my photos, it really does have period architecture follows the edge of that roundabout.  I was hoping those S&P bridges would have a date on them that I missed, unfortunately they do not.  I'll see what I can find today, I'd like to make an update regarding that roundabout if possible. 

I want to say the new Priest Grade was something like 5% but takes 4.5-5 miles to travel up the same hill that the Old Priest Grade does in two.  There is actually a series of old Hetch Hetchey Railroad switchbacks that can reached via Priest Street on the Old Priest Grade.  The real scary thing is that Google Maps will actually try to route you up the switch backs if you request a route between Moccasin and Priest:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Moccasin,+CA/Priest,+CA+95311/@37.8129855,-120.294679,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x8090d7b2e7f0c3d1:0xc356902358cbb35f!2m2!1d-120.2991565!2d37.8108901!1m5!1m1!1s0x8090d66a3f7a8f2f:0x4f7617e74bdd9257!2m2!1d-120.2726907!2d37.8140949?hl=en

According to the Library of Congress webpage (https://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/ca4257/) for Historic American Buildings Survey, Engineering Record, Landscapes Survey, it was built in 1932 (Bridge No. 42C0072):

"Completed in 1932, the Belmont Avenue Subway, Traffic Circle and Bridge was a combined effort between Fresno County, the City of Fresno, the State of California and the Southern Pacific Railroad. The project was undertaken as an early effort to eliminate dangerous at-grade railroad crossings. The subway, bridge and the associated 300' diameter traffic circle roadway approach is the first configuration of this type in California to address a key railroad grade-separation along former Highway 99, and is among the first examples of a traffic circle in the western United States. In addition, the project was the first to incorporate a traffic circle as a design approach to a subway. The other historic-period traffic circles, including Long Beach and Bakersfield, were not constructed as part of a subway project."

Looks like it was part of US 99.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Max Rockatansky

^^^^

Nice...  I'll get that edited in to the US 99 Fresno Road Blog this Wednesday, thanks for the information. 

sparker

Completely forgot about the Bakersfield traffic circle; by the time I first traveled on it with my parents as a kid (circa 1954), it had already been bridged along its US 99 axis.  Of course, it was the "Oildale" exit from US 99 (now part of CA 204); the road toward Oildale -- and eventually the back road into Lake Isabella -- was LRN 142; the southwesternmost portion was decommissioned in 1966 and its successor, CA 155, was rerouted over the Garces Highway due west to Delano (and finally signed that year!). 

Max Rockatansky

Made an update to the US 99 Fresno blog regarding the new information on the Belmont Avenue traffic circle.  It should be present on the link Daniel provided on the original post.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.