News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Locations where Auxiliary Lanes are needed

Started by webny99, May 10, 2018, 01:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

What are some locations where an acceleration lane ends, and is followed almost immediately by a deceleration lane for the next exit?
I-90, Harborcreek, PA
ON 401, Woodstock, ON

What is your preference in these cases: separate acceleration and deceleration lanes (creating high density in the right lane of the freeway), or an auxiliary lane (creating a weave)? In these two extreme examples above, I'd prefer an auxiliary lane, but anything that would require 1/4 mile new pavement or more, I'd say leave it as-is, as weaves are sub-optimal.

On the other extreme, here's an auxiliary lane on NY 390 in Greece, NY, which is almost 1 1/2 miles in length. Ordinarily I'd say it's too long, but it's actually needed to handle the volumes. In this case, I'd say the rightmost through lane on NY 390 should extend through the NY 104 interchange instead of exiting, thereby making this lane a through traffic lane which becomes an exit only lane further upstream.

SectorZ

Quote from: webny99 on May 10, 2018, 01:32:55 PM
What are some locations where an acceleration lane ends, and is followed almost immediately by a deceleration lane for the next exit?
I-90, Harborcreek, PA
ON 401, Woodstock, ON

What is your preference in these cases: separate acceleration and deceleration lanes (creating high density in the right lane of the freeway), or an auxiliary lane (creating a weave)? In these two extreme examples above, I'd prefer an auxiliary lane, but anything that would require 1/4 mile new pavement or more, I'd say leave it as-is, as weaves are sub-optimal.

On the other extreme, here's an auxiliary lane on NY 390 in Greece, NY, which is almost 1 1/2 miles in length. Ordinarily I'd say it's too long, but it's actually needed to handle the volumes. In this case, I'd say the rightmost through lane on NY 390 should extend through the NY 104 interchange instead of exiting, thereby making this lane a through traffic lane which becomes an exit only lane further upstream.

I-95/MA 128 N/B in Lexington and Burlington, between the junctions of 4/225 and US 3 has this condition, and in fact was just re-striped to be so. There is over a mile between exits, but only a breakdown lane for less than 1000 feet.

Brandon

Between IL-53 and I-355 on I-55 in Illinois.  This is a cluster almost all the time due to the distance between the two interchanges and the short ramps for IL-53.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

vdeane

I've long wanted to see one on I-90 (each direction) between exits 36 (I-81) and 37 (Electronics Parkway).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

US 89

Utah has done a good job with adding auxiliary lanes when freeways are reconstructed, but there are several freeways I feel could really use them.

I-80 between exit 118 (Redwood Rd) and 120 (I-15).
I-15 through St. George
All of I-215 north of I-80 (they're doing some major reconstruction on it now, which might include addition of auxiliary lanes)
All of I-15 between exit 328 (200 North Kaysville) and 338 (5600 South Roy), which should be widened anyway
US-89 northbound between exit 404 (SR-193) and 405 (South Weber Dr)
SR-201 between exit 11 (5600 West) and 13 (Bangerter Highway)
I-15 south between exit 316 (500 South) and 315 (2600 South) in Bountiful

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on May 10, 2018, 02:17:55 PM
I've long wanted to see one on I-90 (each direction) between exits 36 (I-81) and 37 (Electronics Parkway).

Of course. Don't know how I forgot about that one. Though considering it's the thruway, it might be a long shot to expect it to materialize.

MisterSG1

Quote from: webny99 on May 10, 2018, 01:32:55 PM
I-90, Harborcreek, PA
ON 401, Woodstock, ON

While the EB example on the 401 looks alright, it's roughly 400m or a quarter mile apart from the last continuity line of the acceleration lane to the first continuity line of the deceleration line. I do admit, I'm surprised they never simply made that an auxiliary lane.

It should be noted that the widening of the 401 in that stretch was rather recent, happened around 2011. Prior to that, there was a lane drop EB after the 403, and the lane didn't pick up again until just before the Cedar Creek Road exit (268), and prior to 2003, the lane didn't start back up until after Homer Watson Blvd in Kitchener.

ftballfan

US-23 on the east side of Ann Arbor (roughly US-12 to M-14)
US-23 between Lee Rd and I-96 in Brighton

Buffaboy

What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

Brooks

TN-385 between Ridgeway Rd and Kirby Pkwy, and between Kirby Pkwy and Riverdale Rd.  Also there is already one eastbound between I-240 and Ridgeway but an additional westbound lane is badly needed due to the daily morning backups that occur.

RobbieL2415

I-84(E) between exits 62 and 63.  Because mall traffic.

02 Park Ave

An extended exit lane is needed on the southbound Garden State Parkway approaching Exit 135 (Clark).  It backs up every afternoon onto the right travel lane for over an half mile.
C-o-H

Jmiles32

Outer Loop of the Capital Beltway between VA-7 and I-66:
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9003021,-77.2161382,2369m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en&authuser=0
Traffic always backs up here during the afternoon rush hour and there is an existing auxiliary lane between the same exits on the Inner Loop. Seems like a simple fix and yet it hasn't really been discussed much.

Another one is Northbound I-95 between PW Pkwy and VA-123:
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6670133,-77.2661078,2525m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en&authuser=0
Heavy traffic combined with hardly any time to merge has resulted in frequent backups here.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

MikeTheActuary

CT20 westbound, between CT75 and Hamilton Road South.

Joe The Dragon

webny99

What about assigning maximum and minimum lengths for auxiliary lanes?

Some closely spaced exits, like NY 342 and I-781 on I-81 in Watertown, and NY 250 and Phillips Rd on 104 in Webster, would be substandard without auxiliary lanes. But at what threshold do you think they're actually needed?

bzakharin

On NJ 42 Northbound, the lane entering from NJ 55 travels over a mile before exiting to I-295. There's even an exit (and entrance) with its own (short) exit lane branching off of this extra lane. Needless to say weaving is rampant here, especially for those using said exit. That said, ending the lane in between would hardly be a good solution considering the volume on that stretch of NJ 42. I guess the best thing to do here would be to extend NJ 55 parallel to NJ 42 all the way to I-295, and have separate exits off of 55 for 42 and Creek Road.

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on May 14, 2018, 09:09:38 PM
What about assigning maximum and minimum lengths for auxiliary lanes?

Some closely spaced exits, like NY 342 and I-781 on I-81 in Watertown, and NY 250 and Phillips Rd on 104 in Webster, would be substandard without auxiliary lanes. But at what threshold do you think they're actually needed?
I-781/NY 342 seems to be particularly close even with the auxiliary lane, at least SB.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

WillWeaverRVA

Maybe northbound VA 288 near the US 360 interchange to help mitigate the crazy movements that happen as a result of the C/D lane merging into the mainline right before the onramp from EB US 360 does?
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on May 15, 2018, 12:58:31 PM
On NJ 42 Northbound, the lane entering from NJ 55 travels over a mile before exiting to I-295. There's even an exit (and entrance) with its own (short) exit lane branching off of this extra lane. Needless to say weaving is rampant here, especially for those using said exit. That said, ending the lane in between would hardly be a good solution considering the volume on that stretch of NJ 42. I guess the best thing to do here would be to extend NJ 55 parallel to NJ 42 all the way to I-295, and have separate exits off of 55 for 42 and Creek Road.

Just wait until the ramp from 42 North to 295 South is finally built.  55 North will finally have 2 lanes merging into Rt. 42, but the furthest right lane will quickly take off again for 295 South.  The current exit for Creek Rd moves closer to Rt. 55.  And the current lane from 55 to 42 will become an option lane for 295 North or 42 North/76 West.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Brandon on May 10, 2018, 02:04:22 PM
Between IL-53 and I-355 on I-55 in Illinois.  This is a cluster almost all the time due to the distance between the two interchanges and the short ramps for IL-53.

1.  I was going to say this exact thing
2.  I knew Brandon was gonna beat me to the punch haha
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

bzakharin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 15, 2018, 02:24:19 PM
Quote from: bzakharin on May 15, 2018, 12:58:31 PM

Just wait until the ramp from 42 North to 295 South is finally built.  55 North will finally have 2 lanes merging into Rt. 42, but the furthest right lane will quickly take off again for 295 South.  The current exit for Creek Rd moves closer to Rt. 55.  And the current lane from 55 to 42 will become an option lane for 295 North or 42 North/76 West.
So it'll make it worse for anyone not heading from 42 to 76 or 55 to 295? And even for those who are, they'll have to deal with merging traffic in both directions? I fail to see how this is better than when 42/295 used to merge and then split, which was one of the reasons for the current project in the first place.

Hurricane Rex

Oregon:
I-5:
Rose Quarter area (at a minimum, perferably widen to 4 lanes each way)
From 217 to 205 each way (mp 292-288)
SB only: Wilsonville road (mp 283) to OR 551 (mp 282)
Roseburg area

I-84:
The Dalles would be nice, but not needed
I-205 to 181st avenue WB direction only. (mp 9-13)

I-205:
Powell blvd to I-84 (planned)
OR 213 to Sunrise/Milwakee Expressway (mp 10-13)
Milwakee Expressway to Sunnyside road (mp 13-14)

Last 2 are only after Sunrise expressway gets finished.

OR 217:
OR 8 to Scholls Ferry (SB planned) (mp 2-4)
OR 99W to Scholls Ferry (planned) (mp 4-6)

Then again, I'm optimistic.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Brooks

I-40 eastbound (probably westbound too as I saw it back up during evening rush last week) between Appling Road and Germantown Parkway in Memphis.

architect77

Raleigh's Beltline I-440 was widened in the early nineties from 4 lanes to 6 continuous with auxiliary lanes between exits that look like a 4th lane.

Many drivers, perhaps elderly, default to the right lane so this confuses them, and many others have complained about the right lane that (starts and stops) over and over.

I'm not a huge fan, but if you want decent queue lengths and exits are close together I guess there's no other option other than 2 lane-exits which might require the new Euro arrow signs at the fork. I don't know.

North Carolina has done a great job with those new lane split signs.

I've never seen how California is doing them.

Georgia's are just fair and they all have vertical open gap that looks like they're spliting into 2 pieces.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.