News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

What's on the Thanksgiving Day menu?

Started by wanderer2575, November 22, 2021, 03:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wanderer2575

We didn't have any family gatherings for the holidays last year.  Mrs. wanderer and I scratch-made a lasagna for ourselves.

For Thanksgiving dinner this year, it will be just the two of us and my parents.  It's the first time I'm cooking a bird and I've joked (?) that I will have a frozen pizza on standby, just in case.

Turkey
Sweet and sour meatballs
Homemade stuffing and gravy
Berry sauce (cranberries and frozen fruit)
Peas with onions and mushrooms
Twice-baked potatoes (I cheated and am using store-made)
Mom is making an apple pie for dessert

Max Rockatansky

Copious amounts of non-Cracker Barrel sourced alcohol.

7/8

My family had our usual Thanksgiving meal: turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, cranberries, green beans, and corn. Also, we had apple and pumpkin pies for dessert. :thumbsup:

1995hoo

My mom is coming over, as is our next-door neighbor and her father.

Main course: Cornish game hens

Side dishes I'm making: Smashed sweet potatoes with five-spice marshmallows (making that now, waiting for the potatoes to cool); also a scalloped corn dressing because I can't really make stuffing with Cornish game hens. (Edited to add:) I made cranberry sauce this past Saturday and it's in the refrigerator.

My mom is going to make some carrots and our neighbor is bringing green beans.

Dessert: I'll make pecan pie tomorrow and our neighbor will bring cheesecake. Some years I make ice cream, but I'm skipping that in favor of store-bought vanilla ice cream this year just for convenience.

Appetizers: Last night I made these nuts and Thursday morning I'll make this smoked trout dip (my wife will make the vinaigrette for that on Wednesday).

Wine: Gruet sparkling before dinner, Domaine Baumard Savennières with dinner; also a de-alcoholized sparkling wine for our neighbor's father because he can't have alcohol due to medications.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Rothman

It'll be at my parents' house this year.  Eight people altogether -- family and friends.

Typical Thanksgiving stuff.  We're bringing two pies (chocolate cream and french blueberry cream) and mac and cheese.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

GaryV

Turkey
Ham
Stuffing
Potatoes - probably both mashed and baked
Sweet potatoes
Green bean casserole, probably another vegetable
Rolls
Cranberry sauce
Some kind of salad, maybe 2
Vegetable tray
Pumpkin, apple and pecan pie

abefroman329

We're headed to my mother-in-law's house - will be me, my wife, our son, my parents, my MIL, my wife's sister, my wife's brother-in-law, and our niece.

I'm in charge of the turkey and I'm not messing around this year, I'm brining it myself and made candied ginger to go in the brine yesterday.  But that means I haven't really been paying attention to what everyone else is making.

ET21

I have two rounds of dinners, first with my mom's side and then with my in-laws. Both menus are pretty similar with a special side dish.

My parents: Turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, mash taters, corn, and dinner rolls. Special side dish is sweet potatoes grown in their garden.
In laws: Turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, corn, and dinner rolls. Special side dishes is my sister in laws loaded mash taters and loaded mac/cheese.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

snowc

Quote from: 7/8 on November 22, 2021, 03:58:38 PM
My family had our usual Thanksgiving meal: turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, cranberries, green beans, and corn. Also, we had apple and pumpkin pies for dessert. :thumbsup:
Same too! Happy Thanksgiving to you!  :D

snowc

Happy Turkey Day everyone here at AARoads forum!
Here at the headquarters, its just me, my mother and father. Buffet style is what we have this year!  :-D
I hope everyone has a great day with their family and friends!

7/8

Quote from: snowc on November 25, 2021, 09:31:15 AM

Thank you! Unfortunately I already had mine 6 weeks ago, but Christmas isn't too far off. I hope you enjoy the holiday! :)

qguy

Last year my wife, one of our two college-age kids, and I had covid during Thanksgiving. Fortunately it was very mild but as with so many others, our senses of taste and smell were shot.

There was no way we would've tasted the traditional food, and no one felt like cooking, so we went way outside the box. We ditched the turkey et al. and brought in Indian food, thinking that might have a chance of penetrating. We had a colorful Indian spread and yes, we could taste a lot of it.

We all had so much fun last year ("I just *love* our family," my daughter declared) that we decided to do the same thing this year and we're even including my parents. (My wife's parents are deceased.) A new tradition perhaps.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Flint1979

I don't even know yet. I'm actually thinking about going to either Zehnder's in Frankenmuth or Turkey Roost in Kawkawlin.

qguy

Quote from: Flint1979 on November 25, 2021, 10:54:12 AM
I don't even know yet. I'm actually thinking about going to either Zehnder's in Frankenmuth or Turkey Roost in Kawkawlin.

You're makin' that up!  :-D

snowc

Quote from: 7/8 on November 25, 2021, 10:50:17 AM
Quote from: snowc on November 25, 2021, 09:31:15 AM

Thank you! Unfortunately I already had mine 6 weeks ago, but Christmas isn't too far off. I hope you enjoy the holiday! :)
You too!  :D

snowc

Quote from: wanderer2575 on November 22, 2021, 03:12:31 PM
We didn't have any family gatherings for the holidays last year.  Mrs. wanderer and I scratch-made a lasagna for ourselves.

For Thanksgiving dinner this year, it will be just the two of us and my parents.  It's the first time I'm cooking a bird and I've joked (?) that I will have a frozen pizza on standby, just in case.

Turkey
Sweet and sour meatballs
Homemade stuffing and gravy
Berry sauce (cranberries and frozen fruit)
Peas with onions and mushrooms
Twice-baked potatoes (I cheated and am using store-made)
Mom is making an apple pie for dessert
Wait, lasanga?
Do you have a cat named Garfield?  :-D

kurumi

Turkey, cranberry sauce, green bean casserole, corn pudding, yams, gravy.

Sorry to pick on a fanbase, but turkey is the Detroit Lions of meals. There are much better choices, but it's Thanksgiving tradition
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

NWI_Irish96

The extended family has resumed the annual pre-dinner bowling outing that got cancelled last year due to COVID, though we did not go. We are doing Thanksgiving at home again. Turkey, mashed potatoes/gravy, mac & cheese, green beans, rolls/butter, apple pie.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Henry

Has anybody ever had turducken? (something John Madden popularized back in the day)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Max Rockatansky

I actually ended up having a Carnitas Burrito from a taco stand out in Firebaugh.  That thing was loaded with Chili but was fantastic.

allniter89

My Thanksgiving Day meal was a Marie Callender "southern fried chicken, mashed taters, gravy & corn". My beverage choice was Vanilla Coke & for desert 4 Orange Dreamcycles.
Many of her meals are quite good, this one super sucked :no:!!
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.