News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Toys 'R' Us to file bankruptcy

Started by LM117, September 18, 2017, 08:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkt

Wow.  I wonder if it would be worth making a last visit.  Daughter and I moved on to more expensive toys years ago, but I'm still sad they're going.

US71

Quote from: kkt on June 25, 2018, 04:16:00 PM
Wow.  I wonder if it would be worth making a last visit.  Daughter and I moved on to more expensive toys years ago, but I'm still sad they're going.

Most likely not much left by this point.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Rothman

Visited ours about ten days ago and it definitely felt picked over.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

US71

I never shopped there. My parents always shopped at Sears or JCPenney for toys.

LM117

briantroutman

^ When a group of investors plucks a trademark from a pile of rubble that once was a business, and the investors then apply that trademark to a new business having no connection to the original, I'd hardly call that a "revival"  or a "comeback" .

abefroman329

Quote from: briantroutman on October 03, 2018, 01:19:29 PM
^ When a group of investors plucks a trademark from a pile of rubble that once was a business, and the investors then apply that trademark to a new business having no connection to the original, I'd hardly call that a "revival"  or a "comeback" .
Yeah, I read this story and immediately thought of the Circuit City "revival"  that has yet to go anywhere.

LM117

formulanone

Quote from: abefroman329 on October 03, 2018, 01:30:57 PM

Yeah, I read this story and immediately thought of the Circuit City "revival"  that has yet to go anywhere.

Some big retailer will sell a few "Toys R Us"-branded toys to milk out a little nostalgia from the parents.

abefroman329

Quote from: formulanone on February 12, 2019, 06:38:47 AM
Quote from: abefroman329 on October 03, 2018, 01:30:57 PM

Some big retailer will sell a few "Toys R Us"-branded toys to milk out a little nostalgia from the parents.
Hey, at least there's nostalgia to be milked.  Who in the hell is nostalgic for Circuit City?

LM117

kevinb1994

US71

formulanone

Quote from: LM117 on June 22, 2019, 06:10:39 PM
I doubt this will last, but...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-06-21/toys-r-us-back-from-the-dead-will-open-u-s-stores-in-2019

My guess: they put a few locations in these so-called "lifestyle centers" where folks might be more apt to spending a few on the kids after shopping for themselves.

LM117

Quote from: US71 on June 23, 2019, 09:34:56 AM
Quote from: LM117 on June 22, 2019, 06:10:39 PM
I doubt this will last, but...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-06-21/toys-r-us-back-from-the-dead-will-open-u-s-stores-in-2019

They will have to build new here. The building was sold to an outdoors company

They would have to build new here as well. Big Lots is moving into the building in August. They're relocating from another shopping center in town where Walmart Neighborhood Market is. The building Big Lots is in right now is much smaller. I don't blame Big Lots for relocating, but I'm dreading it since I go there often and it puts them further away from me and the traffic where the old Toys R Us building is located is terrible. For a small city, Danville has horrendous traffic.

All that said, there's no chance in hell of them ever coming back here. Businesses have been closing here left and right in recent years. Anybody with a hope for a future and the means of getting out is getting out. I would've moved out long by now if I could've done so.

vdeane

Given the smaller footprint, they'll probably end up building new in a lot of places.  Unless they plan to re-use Babies R Us locations?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kevinb1994

Quote from: vdeane on June 23, 2019, 09:27:38 PM
Given the smaller footprint, they'll probably end up building new in a lot of places.  Unless they plan to re-use Babies R Us locations?
That might also work, but we shall see.

tolbs17

It's good that they are reopening! I guess it's nice. Get the kids to look in the toy store!

LM117

1995hoo

The Toys R Us near us was divided into a furniture store and an Aldi.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

US71

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 19, 2021, 09:33:40 PM
The Toys R Us near us was divided into a furniture store and an Aldi.

Mine was turned into an outdoor/sporting goods store.

Big John

The one by here is now a fitness center.

SkyPesos

The one closest to me (near the Kenwood mall) is still vacant.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.